PDA

View Full Version : All change with hours again!

samb
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
A couple of months ago a parent asked if she could change hours for her child. I did a lot of working out how to do this as it meant picking up from 2 pre schools at same time. When I asked her if we could meet up to chat about it she said she had got it wrong and he couldnt go to the pre school yet as there was not a space. :rolleyes:

In the meantime another parent asked for short term changes to hours basically weeks at uni will mean 1 day change that week, weeks at work will remain the same. I agreed (the hours are from nov-march).

Parent 1 this week has been offered the pre school place and so wants to change hours although has not confirmed with me when and what hours for school hols. Also she wants me to have sibling soon too - again not sure when.

I have explained to parent 1 that I will need to apply for a variation from Ofsted to cover these (as it means that short term I will be 1 over in early years section). Ofsted have told me it takes 6 weeks to go through the process and obviously even then they might say no. I have a completely free friday but no one wants those hours so whatever way I do it, it clashes with someone 1 day. I have told her she needs to confirm what she would like ASAP so i can begin the 6 week process with Ofsted but she hasn't got back to me. It has only been 4 days but even so, if I can't do it she'll have to find someone else who can take 1 4 afternoons and a baby 2 full days which won't be easy - plus it means I will be down to 1 part time mindee and 1 holiday only part time mindee so could do with it going through myself too!!!

Any tips on how to speed parents up? Or would you just apply for the variation based on what she wanted before and hope that's what she wants?!

Wendybird
06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Not sure, but I've just applied for a variation and Ofsted told me up to 2 weeks!?! Hope they don't take six or my parent is going to be stuffed for childcare! I would think if she's been offered a place, they know what sessions are being offered.

Pandypops
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
I would apply for the variation just in case as you can always cancel it. You can chase your application if you haven't heard from them in 14 days and they should give you an answer shortly after that. Because I have not had a graded inspection yet, I had to have a visit from Tribal and they came the third week after I applied and agreed to it on the day (thankfully).

The whole process took 21 days so not bad really.

jayjay1963
07-10-2011, 07:27 AM
When you apply for your variation there is a space on the form asking when you will need it. I managed to get mine in 5 days so it is possible to be processed much quicker if necessary:D

jacqui

samb
07-10-2011, 09:29 AM
The man I spoke to at Ofsted said that if I put a date on it they would try to push it through quicker - but obviously they can still say no at the end of it. Yes they know hours for pre school but not told me if they want those hours all year round or different hours school hols (would be bit odd if I am having sibling full days to drop sibling off early, then current mindee at lunch time then picking them both up in the evening?) I can do this no problem anyway, it's the sibling starting that throws things as they want 2 full days between mon and thurs. I can do mon, not tues but would need variation to cover me having sibling all day, plus the other boy who I look after who is short term havging to change his thurs to wed most weeks AND I have a boy holidays only who is 6 wed and thurs. Confused now?!

Goatgirl
07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I would go ahead and apply for the variation and just put the most/longest possible hours, so that even if parent comes back and says fewer/ shorter days etc you will be covered. Good luck :thumbsup: Let us know how you get on :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

samb
07-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Ah ok, the Ofsted man told me I had to be very specific about dates etc but if I just apply as if most wed and thurs I will need to go over my early years number by 1 between nov-march I could possibly just get a variation for that? I think I have been making things way too complicated!!! I will fill it in like that and let you know - thanks!

samb
22-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Well I filled out the variation form and wrote essays about everything lol! Emailed Mum to say that I was sending in the variation request form and would let her know in 6 weeks what I could offer her. She replied asking if she could speak to me re hours. So I held off sending it back.

She basically has agreed that she can be totally flexible so that I give her days I can have child 2 from Jan- March 2012 to fit around the other child I look after. It has worked out fantastically as it means I am full in the early years section mon-thurs (my son falls into this category too) and I have a completely free day Fridays. I look after 1 boy in 5-8s holidays only Wed and Thurs and an ad hoc girl that I used to mind sometimes does odd day in hols. And no need for any variation to do it either. :jump for joy: