PDA

View Full Version : to be or not be a childminder

Ecammy
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi Everyone Im new to the forum and would like some advice if anyone can be so kind to offer me any.
I have returned to work(worked in payroll for 9 years) in May this year after 9 months maternity and I am not enjoying it at all and feel I need a new challenge and to be able to spend more time with my 13 month old son.
I have a pre registration meeting next week and have looked into Cypops5 and paedeatric first aid course.
I have left messages with my local authority NCMA to call me back re ICP course to see when the next one is and will I be able to do it without taking time out of work(I still need an income while I am completeing the process of registering) but had no return call. I would like to know if I can get any funding towards courses.
I am excited at the thought of a new challenge and the thought of my own business but I am under no illusions it will be easy but I am willing to put the effort and dedication into it. I worry I wont get any children and wont fill vacancies and I feel I am doubting myself , Im just after advice and experience from men and women out there who have been through this experience.
Sorry it is so long winded.
Emx

rosebud
06-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello and welcome, You're right it is incredibly hard work but very enjoyable and I've never looked back. I should think you can register and do the training whilst you're still in your current job and then wait until you start getting enquiries before you hand your notice in. Good luck.

The Juggler
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
hi

i went back to work after both my kids. it was only after my second I really struggled and was unhappy getting home so late and then added to that had problems at work also.

I decided to give it a go. Never looked back. In our LA they used to run the briefing sessions in the evenings as well as the day so you might be lucky. Go on the briefing then speak to your FIS/early years team and see what the vacacny levels are like compared to childcare demands. Ask what the local going rate is and work out if it's going to work for you.

It is very hard work but no more than my job used to be. it's harder to switch off as you are working from home but at least now I'm here for my kids. good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

FizzWizz
06-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I went back to work after my 2nd and resented the amount of time my kids spent under the care of someone else and that most of my money was spent on childcare. I turned to childminding as an option and have been doind it for about a year now - never looked back!

Our pre reg meetings and the ICP were funded but I think that depends on you Local authority. I did the pre-reg in the evening, the first aid at the weekend and took a week hol to do the ICP. I only handed in my notice when i got my certificate from ofsted (lucky enough to have a guaranteed mindee from a friend!). You could always wait until you had a guaranteed mindee before resigning?

I now go out to toddler groups with all the friends I met through having my own kids and have so much more fun! I am doing things with my own kids that I'd never have had the time to do before. Yes, some days can be a little challenging and days can be pretty long but atleast you are at home...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ecammy
06-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all your advice I feel much positive and need to stop doubting myself.
I am going to the pre registration next week so I will find out more information tomorrow.
I dont want to do it to make lots of money just so we are comfortable, covers my outgoings and I get to spend time with my son and not having to work with someone umbearable life is to short.
:thumbsup:

Cariad
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi, you seem to be asking all the same questions that I am at the moment. I am also attending a briefing meeting next week. I'm hoping that will answer a lot of my questions!

Sue_M222
06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Still waiting for my certificate here but have mindees starting in November.

I would also suggest doing a bit of research at demand in your area. Some of the ladies I did my course with were a little disheartened to find out their area was saturated with childminders and nurseries. The FIS should be able to help you out there.

Good luck xx

Jiorjiina
07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I have left messages with my local authority NCMA to call me back re ICP course to see when the next one is and will I be able to do it without taking time out of work(I still need an income while I am completeing the process of registering) but had no return call. I would like to know if I can get any funding towards courses.

I did my CYPOP5 (which in some areas is the ICP) one day a week while I was working, without any trouble at all. The workload was fairly intensive though.

But it is possible, just to let you know! ;)

Ecammy
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I finally got a phone call from the NCMA in my area (North Wales) and she is doing the pre registration next week.
I mentioned I had looked at a paediatric first aid course with St Johns ambulance at a cost of 190.00 and she said they do one for 30.00 which covers everything. My area have funding so the ICP couse only costs 50.00. I asked about CYPOPS5 and confirmed it is not a requirement in Wales as yet they are not sure if they are going to bring it in but the ICP is enough to register.
I had a look on my local authority website for childminders in my are and there is only one but in the next village have none, the lady from NCMA in my area confirmed this and said there will be plenty of opportunities since there is none in the next village as long as I was willing to drop off at schools in this area (it is only 5 minutes in the car).
I am looking forward to Wednesday and feel positive, I only can give it a go.
How do the home visitors find having dogs in the house, I have a 13 year old Golden Retriever, do they have any requirements besides not having agressive behaviour etc?

Ecammy
09-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I also meant to say the ICP course is on 2 Saturdays in November so I wnt have to take time out of work.

Cariad
09-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I take it you're going to Buckley on Wednesday? I'll see you there!

Ecammy
09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Cariad

Yes will be in Buckley on Wednesday.

Emx