PDA

View Full Version : Tips for helping new child settle in

Nickitayler
05-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Help!

I have my first child starting with me tomorrow, a little boy aged 16 months, and I have started to panic about how he will settle. He is starting one day a week, and if all goes well, he will be with me for 2 days each week.

Does anyone have any tips or activities they can share to ease both my nerves and his!?

Thanks,

Nicki x

nipper
05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't panic, or he will pick up on it and if he doesn't his mum will!
Enjoy yourself.

rosebud
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
lots of singing and keep him busy. if he's your only one you can give him loads of attention so theres a better chance of him settling.

sarah707
05-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Make sure he gets lots of opportunities to run around outside :D

Goatgirl
05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
HI :),
Try to relax and just have fun, as you would with your own child. I'd make sure you have a good handle on his routine at home and what he enjoys doing/what settles him down if he's grizzly etc.

Its an age of exploring, so if you have lots of new toys he's not used to, you're half way there I'd say. Make sure there's stuff around for him to 'find', so easily accessible toys in baskets, a few books piled up, a half built tower of blocks etc

Distraction is great at this age - I have a 15 month old and just pick her up to check her nappy or offer her her water if she gets herself in a tiz. Or maybe start playing with another toy which makes a noise just out of sight etc to distract her attention from whatever she's grumpy about.

She also LOVES music and singing - maybe some background music would be good to keep him calm? and I have a baby einstein beethoven dvd for emergencies as I know she'll 'play along' to that happily all day if i'd let her!
Really, these first weeks are to get to know him, what he responds to and where he is in his development etc, so don't panic- you're not supposed to know it all yet :thumbsup:

It'll be fine :). Enjoy!

And of course come back and share how much fun you had ;)

best wishes,
Wendy