PDA

View Full Version : seat belt problem

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi all - hope you're all fine and dandy :)

Just a quick one, have any of you experienced little ones taking off their seatbelts??? I've got one mindee, just turned 2yo who has recently discovered how to do this and it's driving me insane (he, on the other hand thinks it's very funny). Is there any good advice as to what I can do (other than the "you mustn't do that, it's very dangerous" etc lecture)?

Please help? Thanks.

rosebud
05-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Have you got more than one car seat? Could you put him into a different seat with a different buckle - not the answer I know but might confuse him for a bit.

AliceK
05-10-2011, 09:25 AM
When my DS did this at around the same age I told him off very sternly and he never did it again. My DD however was a different story. It didn't matter how cross I got with her she kept doing it. In the end I bought a Kiddy Infinity Pro seat for her. It's a different designed seat and impossible for LO's to get to the seatbelt. It solved the problem and I loved the seat so much I bought 2 more and now use them for all my little mindees too. Have a look at them. They're not cheap but are meant to be the safest seats around.
http://www.oxfordpramcentre.co.uk/brand.php?show=all&brand=65&gclid=CNW0tMOc0asCFagntAodhE2STQ

xxx

busybee123
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi, my own child went through a phase of doing this at roughly the same age. What i did (depending on the style of car seat) was to turn the buckle so the fasten was facing her belly. This stopped it for me, good luck.

Ripeberry
05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
You could try putting some garden velcro (the prickly bit) on the red button (superglue it on). This stopped the 3yr old as he could not push the button down due to the prickles, but thicker skinned adults can ;)

Twinkles
05-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Gaffa tape !

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Have you got more than one car seat? Could you put him into a different seat with a different buckle - not the answer I know but might confuse him for a bit.

I tried that...didn't work :laughing:

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
When my DS did this at around the same age I told him off very sternly and he never did it again. My DD however was a different story. It didn't matter how cross I got with her she kept doing it. In the end I bought a Kiddy Infinity Pro seat for her. It's a different designed seat and impossible for LO's to get to the seatbelt. It solved the problem and I loved the seat so much I bought 2 more and now use them for all my little mindees too. Have a look at them. They're not cheap but are meant to be the safest seats around.
http://www.oxfordpramcentre.co.uk/brand.php?show=all&brand=65&gclid=CNW0tMOc0asCFagntAodhE2STQ

xxx

These look great - if only I could afford one or two :( Love 'em though, and thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi, my own child went through a phase of doing this at roughly the same age. What i did (depending on the style of car seat) was to turn the buckle so the fasten was facing her belly. This stopped it for me, good luck.

I tried this earlier - "brilliant idea" I thought. However, there wasn't enough 'give' on the seat and I couldn't do it :(

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
You could try putting some garden velcro (the prickly bit) on the red button (superglue it on). This stopped the 3yr old as he could not push the button down due to the prickles, but thicker skinned adults can ;)

Now this idea i LIKE - am deffo going to do this - thank you :thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Gaffa tape !

Or handcuffs...? lol :laughing:

catlyn
05-10-2011, 08:44 PM

not recommended by the AA as it compromises childrens safety

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/child_safety/belts_buckles.html
and this is from the RAC website
Q: My child often gets out of the harness, or undoes the buckle or seatbelt. Should I buy something to attach to the buckle, harness or belt to stop him doing this?

A: No. We do not recommend using any device which may interfere with the operation of the buckle or seatbelt. It is not known how such devices will behave in a crash and they could impede the emergency services in freeing your child from the vehicle. There may also be implications for your insurance if you have modified a safety feature like the seatbelt.

Follow our advice on 'children undoing buckles'.

catlyn
05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
..just found this....some clips are illegal in europe
http://5pointplus.com/no-wonder-chest-clips-on-car-seats-are-illegal/

but this one isn't

http://5pointplus.com/buy-5-point-plus/

Boris
07-10-2011, 07:28 PM
My DS went through a phase of doing this so I drove to the police station, popped in and spoke to someone on the desk and they had a policeman come out and tell him not to do it again!! Hey presto, he never did!!

kel1983
08-10-2011, 10:51 AM
My DS went through a phase of doing this so I drove to the police station, popped in and spoke to someone on the desk and they had a policeman come out and tell him not to do it again!! Hey presto, he never did!!

haha. Thats so good. Glad it worked