PDA

View Full Version : A few questions after my course tonight

sharonmanc
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
been on my Cypop5 course tonight and was told that if i have an assistant i have to get planning permission and pay £300 is this correct?

My daughter is 15, will be 16 in January and i want to be abel to employ her if things take off etc, or for help during holidays, I wont be leavinggher alone with children just an extra pair of hands., I have read that much and after the course tonight I am confused, as to whether i register her as an assistant at all, or if planning permission is needed, as i thought this was when more than one childminder work together on a premises.

I was also told tonight that i can only register for over night care if the child have their own space/ room, i was under the impression i could register for over night care, especially for younger children and they can stay in my room, as long as they have their own bed, bedding etc. I dont have the space to accomodate older children.

Also i have to phone the fire department and have ahome visit, and i will have to fit fire doors throughout my home, is this the case always, or is it different form place to place?

I am feelign all confused, as i read one thing and then get told another, any help would be appreciated :)

crazyhazy
04-10-2011, 08:10 PM
whereabouts are you? england or scotland?

I'm in scotland and here we do have to have a fire officer visit to assess the premises and I did get a silly one who mentioned needing fire doors but then realised he was wrong (as I knew he was!), only thing I had to do was have a mains fire alarm installed and show him a fire risk assessment. I might be wrong but I think if you are childminding overnight and using bedrooms upstairs you need a fire door, although it depends on lay out, I was given a fire safety guide which explained everything.

Sorry can't help with the assistant thing x

sharonmanc
04-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks so much for the reply, I am in England, so there may be a few differences, not sure what yet lol.

jadavi
04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I was approved for overnight and rang the fire Dept befirehand and had a chat. . They don't visit in my area. I noted that in my risk assessment. I got a home. visit from Age Uk who will assess you for £11. They also installed radio alarms fre of charge but that may be cos my elderly mum lives here. fire doors is just silly. They say keep doors closed .that's all. I also reg both daughters as holiday assistants . Only need crb and £5 extra on insurance . I don't know why there's all this misinformation
Ja x

rosebud
04-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm in England and was registered for overnight care in August so don't think things will have changed since then. I don't have a spare room and just had to explain on the form where children would sleep. (my room or my children's rooms depending on age etc) I didn't have a visit from a fire officer or Ofsted, I just had to write a comprehensive risk assessment to show I had considered everything. I needed to have smoke alarms both upstairs and downstairs but they didn't need to be mains linked, I didn't need fire doors but I had to assess how I would evacuate the house if need be. I am based in the East Midlands but don't think the rules for overnight care vary according to where you live.
I hope I have helped and not confused you further.

sharonmanc
04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Thank you so much for the replies, I think the course just keeps confusing me as the information is either a contradiction of what i have read with the Ofsted regs etc, and then i am second guessing myself, and if i say , well it says such and such here, then I am told i am wrong.

sarah707
05-10-2011, 06:41 AM
been on my Cypop5 course tonight and was told that if i have an assistant i have to get planning permission and pay £300 is this correct?

Yes if you want to raise your numbers and have more than 6 children. Otherwise not normally.

My daughter is 15, will be 16 in January and i want to be abel to employ her if things take off etc, or for help during holidays, I wont be leavinggher alone with children just an extra pair of hands., I have read that much and after the course tonight I am confused, as to whether i register her as an assistant at all, or if planning permission is needed, as i thought this was when more than one childminder work together on a premises.

I was refused permission to register my dd as an assistant at 16. I was told she had to be 18. However others have been told 17 so I'd ring them and check.

I was also told tonight that i can only register for over night care if the child have their own space/ room, i was under the impression i could register for over night care, especially for younger children and they can stay in my room, as long as they have their own bed, bedding etc. I dont have the space to accomodate older children.

I believe they need their own room but again I'd check with Ofsted - it will depend on the layout of your house and privacy issues.

Also i have to phone the fire department and have ahome visit, and i will have to fit fire doors throughout my home, is this the case always, or is it different form place to place?

You should ask for a fire visit as good practice anyway. They are free and they will fit smoke alarms and give you lots of good advice.

I have fire doors but I have a 3rd storey so they are a requirement. Check with the fire officer for more advice.

I am feelign all confused, as i read one thing and then get told another, any help would be appreciated :)

I hope this helps :D

sharonmanc
05-10-2011, 06:57 AM
thankyou, will get a fire visit after i have the works i am having done finished, my home has never been so safe :laughing: