PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on New Toys to buy

VINASOL
04-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I want to get some new toys for my 4yr old mindee (and hopefully new mindees) but I'm stuck...I have lots of different things here covering all 5 areas...I would like to get more dressing up/role play but I'm simply finding them all too expensive...

Any ideas on what different toys I can buy that do not cost the earth (actually am finding arts&crafts stuff really expensive too)...

rosebud
04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Arts and crafts shouldn't be expensive. Recycle everything - boxes, yoghurt pots, plastic bottles, cds, cardboard tubes, egg boxes, wrapping paper, ribbon, flower paper, foil, and make things out of this. The children will have just as much fun as if you spend a lot of money on stuff, you just need to get creative. We have a Play and recycling centre which we can join for about £10 a year and we can go and collect as much recycled stuff as we want, find out if theres something similar local to you.

Also for dressing up stuff try and pick up some pieces of fabric or net curtains, about a metre in length. They can be skirts, capes, dresses, etc or shoes & bags from charity shops. I have lots of very expensive dressing up stuff which I have inherited from nieces and nephews and the most played with item in the dressing up box is an old net curtain!!

Elfin
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Hi,
I have recently finished Childminding therefore have quite a few dressing up stuff for boys and girls that I am looking to sell. I will have a sort out and get some pics on here for you or if you can private message me I can give you my details to contact.

RainbowMum
04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I have just bought these : http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/products.php?id=4248&name=Robinia Blocks

They can be used in so many ways, for construction or enhancing small world play etc.

I did also spend a small fortune on other things from this site as I'm trying to ditch as much plastic as possible :)

The Juggler
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
i only buy special arts and crafts stuff at xmas really. rest of time it's cheap paper plates, bulk buys of paper/colour card and lots of glue! good website ideas and you're sorted.

Use salt dough instead of buying expensive ceramic things to be painted.

I would advertise on netmums/gumtree for dressing up - i know if i wasn't a minder I'd be getting rid of all my dd's old dressing up stuff now it's so tiny for her and there is loads of it - you might find someone desperate to get it off their hands.

I would go for smallworld sets, construction type toys and outdoor resources for your 4 year olds :thumbsup:

littlegremlins
04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
One of my mindees has tonight taken home a magic wand as he's always playing with this, this was not expensive I'm sure you'll find it under party bag presents
Pirates/princesses for dressing up, can get cheap tiaras and wands, try Ebay for accessory type items, telescope, eye patch.

lulubelle
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
what about the facebook selling pages? i am about to pick up a pirate outfit (elc) and a orental (spelling) type dress from a lady this aft for under£10

VINASOL
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
what about the facebook selling pages? i am about to pick up a pirate outfit (elc) and a orental (spelling) type dress from a lady this aft for under£10

Ooohh? Facebook Selling pages? What's that then - do you have a link? I've begun to now save soem recycling and will ask some local people too but problem I hve is that I'm soooooo not creative lol...have tried the stuff on tv craft shows but it never worsk out although i do think i've done it prperly lol

Nature'sKids!
14-10-2011, 08:07 AM
I have just bought these : http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/products.php?id=4248&name=Robinia Blocks

They can be used in so many ways, for construction or enhancing small world play etc.

I did also spend a small fortune on other things from this site as I'm trying to ditch as much plastic as possible :)

*drool* loooove myriad!!

PixiePetal
14-10-2011, 08:16 AM
ethical kidz is good too :thumbsup: