PDA

View Full Version : School run solutions?

littleguy1
03-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi everyone

I was just wondering how everyone copes with the school run if they have their maximum
Under 5's? Because I have my own ds who it 16 months, then a mindee who is 18 months but then
I had an equity about taking on a 13 month old too full time. But I already have a 5 year old mindee who I take to school and it is about 3/4 mile to school. I am looking for a triple buggy but I was
just wondering if anybody had some ideas about doing the run other than this?

christine e
04-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Hard work! Pushing three children I would imagine is going to be difficult and you need to think about access into the school grounds - are the gates wide enough to get a triple through? Your only other option would be a double and a buggy board but that is no good if the children want to sleep.

Sorry not being very helpful but think carefully about how you will manage getting out at other times too

Christine

HMT81
04-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Some days when I do the school run I have a 6 year old and then a 6 month old, a 23 month old and my own 23 month old. I bought a triple buggy from kiddicare, it's not ideal but it was the only option really. The 23 month olds are too young for a buggy board, and the only other option would be to get a bigger car, which I really could not afford!

The triple is a nightmare really as it is a side by side and very limiting as to where we can go as it's so wide - it won't even fit through the front door or gate, so I have to put the children in it on the pavement! I couldn't afford anything else though. The cheapest I could find with 2 behind and 1 in front was £300 second hand!

rosebud
04-10-2011, 08:28 AM
My friend (also cm) has just got a "buggy pod" to fit on the side of her tandem double pushchair. It just clips onto the side and she takes it back off when she only has 2. It does look difficult to push though and she can't go up and down kerbs with it so she has to walk to where the kerb drops. Its probably a cheaper solution than a new pushchair though. Other than that I think you would have to have a triple pushchair. They're too young for a buggy board for that distance and we're coming up to cold weather so you will want to tuck them up snug and warm. You could ask other local childminders if anybody has got a second hand triple to sell, childminders here tend to only use them for a few months and then sell them on rather than having to try and find space for storage, some toy librarys also have them. If not try ebay.

rickysmiths
04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I 'hired' a triple buggy from a cm friend who wasn't using hers for the short time I needed one earlier this year. :thumbsup:

My only concern about walking 3/4mile when dependant on a triple would be what would you do in the snow?

I think I know the triple you bought from Kiddicare and it will not push in the slightest bit of snow even on the flat never mind on a hill :panic:

RainbowMum
04-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a sturdy backframe style carrier - it was a godsend in the snowy weather, not too good in pouring rain but you can get rain cover for it, I had a buggy pod and hated it, have a kiddycare triple but its very heavy and no good in snow - I use whichever suits the situation best on the day :)

anna32
04-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I have the same problem every Tuesday and Wednesday. My school run is over a mile away and I need to use the car. I have the 16 & 17 month olds in a double buggy (both of them are not walking) and the 18 month old on reins to collect the 4 year old from reception. Hard work but thankfully it is only twice a week.

jane5
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I have an ABC Adventure triple buggy and it is brilliant.
I watched ebay for ages and finally got it for £280.
I did buy a buggy pod which was a nightmare as it pulled to one side and really pulled on my shoulder.

I couldn't manage without it so it was money well spent in my opinion :thumbsup:

amyf84
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I am a bit of a sling addict and had various ones for my 3rd child. I still use one of them now for my 23 month old. Its an ergo carrier and can be used on your front or back. They are quite expensive although can get them cheaper from certain auction sites. They are fab and even with my hefty 23 month old in, its really light!

If you have 3 under 5's regularly it might be worth looking into.

Amy x

KatieFS
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I;ve just taken on a new child of 15 months. I have another of 15 months and have 2 of my own children. I have a double buggy which is comfortable for both little ones. The issue I have is that the new baby doesnt seem to like the pushchair. We had a terrible time on the school run this week, after only about 5 mins in the pushchair she was very upset and just kept getting louder and more frustrated. I tried distracting her and fave toys etc, but basically I felt she just wanted to get out. As is the case her crying then set the other off, so I had 2 of them crying. I tried to get her out as much as I could considering safety elements and having to collect other children too. I collect 3 other children at the school run, all of which are 9.

I spoke to parent who said they generally dont use a pushchair, and on the occasion where they do use it if she gets restless they take her out and let her walk. I wont be able to do this all the time on the school run, specially on the wy there and the way home. I am quite aware it would take some time for us all to get there and get home and I do not think its fair for my own children to be late to school.

Quite a challenge I have her only one day a week and I feel that as her age is 15/16m this pattern is quite set in her mind, so I can understand why she is so cross. Her reaction was so bad I am dreading the next school run as it seemed to affect the other children as well, as she was so loud! It felt awful to see her so upset, and not really anything I felt that could do.

Any advice at all ... PLEASE!!!!