PDA

View Full Version : What safety gates are best? What ones do you have?

Demonjill
03-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi

Will need to get saftey gates at some point.

Never had any with my own children as they never needed them so this is all new to me.

I know it depends on ages of mindees i get but would like to be prepared.

so I just wondered whats the best kind? Do you have them at top and bottom of stairs?
Where else? kitchen?

My friend has one to keep her rabbits in the one room:laughing: its a pressure fit one im sure and it doesnt seem to fit very well and sometimes moves alot im always scared it pings off and sometimes i need 2 hands even though its meant to be 1 handed.

Which kind do u all have?

Thanks

Happy Bunny
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I use Lindam Gates they are lovely.
I did once invest in a roller blind type gate as I have a narrow hallway, but it broke after a year.
I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs and across the kitchen and back door.

jelly15
03-10-2011, 10:10 AM
The one on the kitchen opens the width of the door with me, no bottom bar, so I can wheel a pushchair out there if I need to.

rickysmiths
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I have used aall sorts over the years mainly depending on where they are for and my decor!

I have use the metal pressure gates that have cups screwed to the wall. The main disadvantage of these ia that when they are open there is a sill to step over. We all got used to it but found it hard when family and visitors came.

Whe we moved I bought the Lindham wooden gates that fix to the wall and have no sill. You do have to have enough room so they will go flat against the wall when they are open otherwise they get in the way.

I have a roller blind one at the bottom of the stairs and it is magic. It is fixed to the post at the bottom of the bannister rail and when its open you hardly notice its there. I have been in this house 7 years, I mind 5 days a week and nearly always sleep someone upstairs so the gate is constantly in use. I bought a new one earlier this year so I got nearly 6yrs out of the first one.

rosebud
03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I have the "roller blind" style ones at the the top and bottom of the stairs. I have had them for 8 years and they are still fine. They cost about £70 each I think so not cheap but were so worth it and I would definitely buy them again in the future. My own children are older so I don't need stairgates when I'm not working and these are fab because you don't notice them when they're open and they simply pull out when I need them.

Lara1981
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I agree, I have the Kiddiguard gate (the roller blind one) which I find really good although expensive, children can't stick their legs through it and when you're not childminding it is very inoffensive rolled up beside the wall, it is strong and it is wider than a lot of gates and works in awkward spaces.

louised
03-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I also have the roller blind type, quite expensive but well worth the money

Becci26
03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I also have the kiddyguard 'rollerblind' style, although haven't started minding yet but wanted one that is unobtrusive when not being used as my daughter is 7.

They cost in excess of £100 and you can get them on ebay cheaper - which I was going to do but then somebody placed an ad locally and got mine for £30 - bargain! I'm glad I held out as it is in perfect condition.