PDA

View Full Version : AGA risk assessment!

loocyloo
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
hello!

having recently moved to a new house with an aga in the kitchen, i wondered if anyone had a risk assessment for an aga?

my brain just won't function at all!

the aga is warm to touch at all times.

i use the hot plates to cook on, and even i were to cook at the back of the palates, the front would be able to be reached by a child, the same when i open the oven door to put things inside!

so far ( apart from last week ) i have usually had washing on an airer in front of the aga, and so far, no child has done more than walk past! but i can't barricade it off, as we use the kitchen for eating in and doing craft/messy play etc at the table. also for getting out into the garden.

another thought i had, and i shall probably ask ofsted ... a fire blanket is going to be no use with an aga! do i need it? my local fireman says no one, especially not anyone with little children should even have, let alone be expected to use a fire blanket! if the fire needs a fire blanket, don't waste time trying to use the fire blanket ... get out & stay out!

thank you if got to the end of my rambing post! xxx

but i DO use it to cook with and WILL be doing so with children!

Velleity
02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I think supervision is going to be the key factor here.

Mrs Pootle
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
No advice sorry, don't want to read & run. So jealous you have an aga, I think they are fab :thumbsup:

loocyloo
02-10-2011, 05:39 PM
No advice sorry, don't want to read & run. So jealous you have an aga, I think they are fab :thumbsup:

i'm getting used to it !!! rather a steep learning curve to put it mildy :laughing:

i have managed to incinerate garlic bread, yet somehow am producing really light sponge cakes & scones ( using the recipes i have used for years! ) however, the coconut cake i have also made for years just wouldn't cook through and i ended up zapping it in the microwave!

i have never wanted an aga, having had a wonder dual fuel range with a multitude of ovens and burners ... only having 2 ovens and 2 hot plates is interesting! :rolleyes: i am getting there!

Winnie
02-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not going to be much help re the aga (how lovely :) ) but a fire blanket can be used to wrap a child in if their clothing is on fire- so i would have one anyway.

uf353432
02-10-2011, 06:48 PM
My guess is Ofsted will want to see you taking reasonable steps to prevent harm to a child. They would want to see that a child has no unsupervised access to the Aga. If you are not able to put something like a fireguard around it which can be held on the surrounding wall with catches you may wish to install safety gates on the kitchen doors to prevent little people accessing the room whilst unsupervised. You don't have to use them all the time with all children - just children you have assesed as being at risk of being hurt. Anoher option if you have the space is a travel cot to put children in if youhave to run out of the kitchen