PDA

View Full Version : Activities for mindees when new parent's visiting

Zoomie
02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Hiya

I have noticed that a lot of the time when I have a new parent visiting, my existing mindees (I prefer them to visit in the working day as my evenings are for my family) just stop playing and come and sit / lie on me / ask for a story / constant cuddles (particulary my own DD who is nearly 4).

Even when I've had an activity out, they seem to loose interest as soon as the doorbell rings.

How can I stop this, and what activities can you recommend I put out for my existing mindees ??

Zoomie
04-10-2011, 08:32 AM
anyone, please :)

NI MINDER
04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Sorry cant be of much help either as mine do the same.
No matter what I put out if I have my social worker inspection or anyone different into the house they are all on top of me too.
Its not a bad thing it shows the prospective parents that the minded kids are attached to you and take comfort being close to you and feel safe being near you when strangers in the house.

rickysmiths
04-10-2011, 09:03 AM
whThis is exactly why I never do first visits during the working day.

I don't like bringing someone I have not met into a place where I am on my own with other peoples (and some people with their own) children.

I find there is so much to show and discuss with the prospective parent and they usually have lots of questions that I feel I can't give them the attention they need or the children in my care during the working day.

I also make sure prospective parents and children meet all my family before any final decisions are made because my family is part of the setting I offer and they have to feel confortable with any new parents and child as well as me. If they first visit in an evening or at the weekend then they are indroduced to us a family package.

If they are then interested they are invited to visit during a working day and observe me working but I don't feel then I have to give them my undivided attention. I am with the children in my care and while I am doing whatever with them I can still chat and answer the odd question.

Having said all that I find after the initial interview they either decide to use me or not and I have had very few and none of the ones who have joined me this year who have come back in working hours.

To me it is part and part and parcel of the job to interview in the evening or at weekends I also find this is often easier for both partners to come.
For me this job has never been one that had operated in specfic hours and if it means new business.

Because I have never interviewed in the working day I can't make any suggestions apart from maybe give the parents you folders to look at in a room next door to where the children are but where you can hear them so you can pop back and forth but the children aren't distracted with strangers in the room.

AliceK
04-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't think there's much you can do about it. My own children and mindees are always the same when I have anyone visiting. I don't think it's a bad thing, as someone else has said it shows that the mindees are happy and relaxed with you and that you have a good bond with them. I think most parents would understand that you can't just switch off from your mindees just because someone has come to have a chat with you. I always interview during working hours as my evenings are precious and I already have enough to do with my own 2 children, plus as a parent who has used childminders in the past I know I preferred to see a prospective childminder when they were working. Just relax.

xxxxx