PDA

View Full Version : poor parent

lulubelle
30-09-2011, 05:38 PM
just had one of my mums turn up looking a right state bless her! i have her 5 yr old after school and they have a 2 yr old in full time nursery. anyway nursery called mum (they know she works 2 hours away in good traffic) and said you need to get here now we think c has menengitis(spelling!) poor mum was so stressed, they then rang her every 15 minutes to see how much longer she was going to be!!!
anyway mum rushed him straight to doctors and it turns out he has an ear infection/high temp/rash. was all smiles sitting in the car though!

is it just me that thinks this is really unproffessional? yes stress little one is really poorly and needs to go home ASAP but mum was so worried/upset i am suprised she didnt cause an accident!

she is very angry and going to complain on monday, rash doesnt look anything like men rash!!!

Ripeberry
30-09-2011, 05:43 PM
That is bad :mad: .
I had something like that today, school rang me to say DD2 had fallen 6foot off playground equipment head first!
The teacher started talking about ambulances and body boards :eek:

Turns out she had only bruised her hip, but she had a full check up with the doctor.
I started to feel a bit stressed when I first got the call, especially as it came when I was coming out of the GP's for my DD1 who was off sick due to a water infection.
What a week!

Hope your parent has a good weekend :)

Maza
30-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, I think it is unprofessional. I would never mention the 'm' word (also can't spell it!) even if I strongly suspected it - I am not a doctor and I know it is most parents biggest fear. The poor woman - I too am surprised she didn't have/cause an accident. Very naive (sp?) on their part.

lulubelle
30-09-2011, 05:54 PM
glad it wasnt just me then! i have now said to give nursery my details and i will pick him up if need be, i know i prob shouldnt pick up a poorly child but i know mum will trust my opinion!

sillysausage
30-09-2011, 05:58 PM
If they suspected meningitis and mum was 2 hours away then to my mind they should have sent for an ambulance. Two hours is a long time with such a potentially fatal illness.

lulubelle
30-09-2011, 06:01 PM
exactly! if it was my child i would be taking them out of that nursery!

chez
30-09-2011, 06:49 PM
poor mum, lets hope if you have spaces that she takes him out and puts him in your care instead

snufflepuff
30-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Goodness me! How scary for her! They certainly should not have mentioned what they thought it was- and I agree that if they were that concerned they should have called for an ambulance.

xgemx
30-09-2011, 07:14 PM
That is awful and to know she is on her way and then to keep ringing her while she is already panicking is so irresponsible

rickysmiths
30-09-2011, 08:26 PM
If they suspected meningitis and mum was 2 hours away then to my mind they should have sent for an ambulance. Two hours is a long time with such a potentially fatal illness.

I was reading the posts thinking exactly the same thing. Two hours is far to long if they suspected Meningitis, it ios a potentially fatal illness. They should have got the child to hospital if there is any doubt and met the mum there.

Why on earth doesn't the mum put the child with the op??? I don't understand these parents.

Ali56
30-09-2011, 08:36 PM
What a terrible thing to do to a parent :angry:
I agree, 2 hrs is too long, if that child had actually had meningitis then that could possibly have made a huge difference and not in a good way. they should have called an ambulance :panic:
Poor, poor mum, she must have been beside herself and is very lucky to get there in one piece. A testament to her self control, she must have been terrified. I would make a formal complaint, they should have told her child was unwell yes, but not like that.

Erika
30-09-2011, 08:40 PM
When the word 'meningitis' is mentioned in relation to your own child, you go from being normal to a wreck in a nanosecond, your entire world just falls down around you. It's impossible to focus on the easiest of tasks and you want to scream at people for going about their daily business when your child could die.

Yet they felt it appropriate to not only tell her and not call an ambulance but to continuously ring her mobile phone, for which every time she would have to pull over to answer, making the journey even longer and even more stressful.

Very unprofessional - and she should absolutely complain.

Jiorjiina
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM

Waiting two hours to get the child to a doctor if they suspect meningitis is bl***y criminal! I wouldn't just be complaining to the nursery, I'd be on the phone of Ofsted about this, I think.

They either knew he wasn't that ill, in which case they scared his poor mum and summoned her from work unnessessarily, or they put a child with an extremely dangerous illness at risk because the staff weren't going to take responsibility for taking him for medical attention.

There's a big problem somewhere in that nursery.

Mamma4Ya
01-10-2011, 06:54 PM
It is not for them to diagnose an illness as they are not qualified. Like others have said two hours is way too long to wait even if they suspected it to be the dreaded M. :angry:

gigglinggoblin
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I think she should follow their complaint procedure and if not satisfied go higher. Waiting 2 hours could have killed him! And telling mum could have killed her, she must have been so stressed driving, thats just appalling.

On the flip side, ds had a urine infection when he was small and had all the symptoms of meningitis apart from the rash. As soon as we got to a&e they started treating him for meningitis just in case. Less serious infections can have similar symptoms so I wouldnt hesitate to assume thats what it was, I would rather be too cautious than not enough. I would handle the situation completely differently to the nursery tho, I cant see how they can excuse leaving him for 2 hours.

Pipsqueak
02-10-2011, 07:45 AM
totally agree- 2hrs when meningitis is suspected is disgusting.

think mum should complain to nursery - poor woman

jane5
02-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Exactly what I think :eek:

I would be furious that they thought it was meningitis but did not phone an ambulance