PDA

View Full Version : Feel sick and just want to cry!!

fieryleo1984
30-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Ive been registered since april but have just started minding a little boy 3 days a week since beginning of september. However Ive just had the call to say prospects are coming to inspect next week!! I am so not ready, I wanted my development officer to come out and help me with starting to do observations etc. I havent worked in childcare before so well i get the basics on the EYFS putting it into practice is different.

I havent done a SEF, I dont think I even have all the paperwork ready.

Any tips to calm me down because I feel like im going to burst!

Em x

sillybeans
30-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I think i would be freaking out too! :eek:

Try to take a couple of deep breathes. Sit down somewhere quiet and write a list of all the things that the inspector may want to see that you haven't done.
Then prioritise them in order of importance.

It sounds like you may be having a few late nights ahead but I think it'll be worth it if it helps you feel more in control for the inspection.

I'm guessing (having not had my own graded inspection yet :panic: ) that they will take in to consideration that you've only had the 1 mindee for a month.

Easier said than done but try to stay calm and do what you can :)

The Juggler
30-09-2011, 05:25 PM
hon, deep breath, don't try to create a world of paperwork in between now and the inspection as firstly you will kill yourself and secondly, they need to see what you are doing now

However, you can write a document which tells them how you plan and observe now, even if that is all in your head. i.e. something along these lines:

my planning is based loosely around festivals, or seasons or whatever you do, then I plan for individual children on a daily/weekly basis.

I'm developing different methods of paperwork until I find a planning/observation sheet which works for me, meantime I'm using notes for observations and plan at the end of each day.'

if you do this they will probably ask you how you know the children's next steps so you'll just need to show how you use the EYFS age ranges/areas of learning to inform your planning (verbal or written). They need to know you refer to it.

I'm sure you have key policies in place already and risk assessments. If you don't have tons, then write a document which explains how the ones you have cover the other areas and how you do your regular/daily checks if you don't have written/signed daily checklists (I don't but my policy states that I do visual checks daily and through the day).

have a go at your SEF as it will help you to answer some of the questions she will ask you and will give her/him more information as it's often hard to talk and answer whilst you are working.

Then go through EYFS document and look at statutory requirements and just make sure you have those in place as a minimum.

Take a deep breath, you've not been at it long, you'll be fine. Just need to demonstrate and explain that you put the children above the paperwork ;)

Good luck x

SammyM
30-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Really dont worry about the SEF or planning, I was in a similar situation to you when I had my inspection, I just confidently said that i was in a period of observation with my little ones and that apart from the obvious celebrations, Harvest, Diwali etc I would plan activities suitable for that child, no point planning an activity around trains and if he can't stand them! I hadnt done a SEF either and said that i was constantly self evaluating, making mental notes etc.

I think the key to it is being confident and coming across well - must have worked for me, I got a GOOD!!!

Easy to say but dont panic & be yourself - good luck x

Demonjill
30-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Awww hun dont worry/panic things will be fine.:)

The SEF is really just a case of being honest in knowing what you do, how you do things at the moment, deciding if that works well or if you need to change things to make it better.
Its about the knowing any probs and doing something about it. Always looking to improve where you can.

Thats all and this will come with time and experience.:thumbsup:

VINASOL
01-10-2011, 07:42 AM
this happened to me too...inspected 3 months after i started actually minding ....don't worry too much about the SEF (they will probably put it as an 'action' like they did with me but that's ok -- or perhaps you can just fill in a couple of bits to show you are working through it)...I didn't have much planning at the time although I was attending a course which helped...there's plenty of advice on here for planning so perhaps you can just show a couple of pieces.

I also just made sure I had all my paperwork to hand: folder for parents which included all my certificates; all my policies and procedures, parental folders (which included all of the chidlrens details, contracts, care plan etc) and of course attendance register.

Just be yourself and you'll be fine...xx

blue bear
01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Go through the statutory guidance and make sure you have everything it says you have to in that. Anything missing make a list and work through.

Get parent to fill in a form about lo what he likes/does etc so you can show where lo is now and you have a starting point

Then write a list of things you would like to do to improve your practice in the future, it shows you are evaluating your practice.

Don't panic, the inspection is not to catch you out, the inspector will give you pointers to improve your practice it's about helping you not picking holes.

jane5
01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Firstly dont panic

I hadnt filled in my sef but I had a piece of paper with some scribbled notes about plans for the future, resources I wanted to buy, changes I had already made ect... and this showed I was self evaluating. She was happy with this

I didnt think my planning was up to much because we go on a day to day basis but she said my planning was excellent. I have written a monthly plan eg. october - halloween - bake using spider web decoration, arts and crafts - make witches and spiders, messy play - green coloured gloop with eye balls in and plastic spiders and linked everything to the eyfs.
I have a rough plan for every month, November - bonfire night, December - christmas and everything is hand written and they were fine with this. I bought Sarahs ebook on planning and used the sheets provided in there. It is really very helpful :thumbsup:

My obs are photos of mindee doing an activity, a link to the eyfs and next steps. When I do another activity linked to the next steps I highlight it on the original ob "see 14/9/11" to prove that I plan and follow my next steps, iykwim. For example photo of X fastening his coat, next step-provide X with resource to fasten buttons, zips and laces. I then have photo of X playing with the doll with lots of buttons and zip ect... further in the folder. Mrs O liked that.

It is fine if you only have 1 or 2 obs because it shows that you are starting to put things in to practice.

Make sure your main policies and permission forms are available and that your attendence register and accident book ect are all up to date and your risk assessments are signed and dated.

They will understand that you have only just started so will not have lots of paperwork but they will want to see that you have a system in place.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

singingcactus
01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
'observations' sounds like there is some kind of special procedure we should be following, something specific we should be doing. Actually 'observation' is just seeing and acknowledging. It's just seeing, or hearing the child do something, thinking where that fits into his age and stage, then working out what you can do next to support him. For example if he was say 15 months and he was trying to put shapes into shape sorters but couldn't manage to turn the shape and was getting frustrated then you could choose to put out a cardboard box with a largish hole in it and some toy animals so all he needs to do is drop them in. He then gets the practise and success of achieving his intention and later on you can try again with a shape sorter.
Observations are not a test or anything tricky they are just you seeing an achievement or a target and supporting it. So don't worry or panic about it, you're already doing it, you just need to sometimes write it down. Look at all your toys you have out and figure out why you have them out - same with your routines.

fieryleo1984
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks Everyone, just going through my paperwork and trying to get things straight. Going to try and complete some of my SEF but I also have a good idea of my business in the future (or at least how I would like it to be) so going to put my ideas down etc. What will be, will be. Not going to stress about it now, well try not to. Im hoping its nice weather so we can go in the garden to play the sandpit and waterplay xx

kel1983
01-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I hadn't even herd of an SEF until a week before my inspection and didnt feel I had the time to even think about one. I told Mrs O this and she was ok with it.

Mrs O was lovely. She had previously been to a setting where my mum worked so put me at ease by asking how she was doing etc.

I dont think I was that worried about my inspection. Don't know why as I usually worry about the silliet things.

Just stick to your usual routine. And lastly good luck:thumbsup:

keeks
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't panic about the SEF. I spent absolute ages doing my SEF, and was very pleased with it.

My inspector had not read it before he arrived! :eek:

I asked him to please look at it as I am not very good remembering things when I get put on the spot. Especially not when I am working looking after two babies at the same time! Well, he never took a single look at it. :(

I think you have had lots of good advice. I like Juggler's ideas, that will be fine for your first inspection.

Good luck!

xx

marlee1986
01-10-2011, 08:44 PM
hi fireyleo, long time no see :) we reg approx same time, i had mine bout 3 weeks ago, with 1 days notice, and me too have rly only started properly start of sept, i had no mindees with me but had my two girls at home and she done my visit as my girls were mindees :eek: thought it was all gunna go wrong, but my girls done me proud!!!!

we done colouring in and reading books, and lots o and lots of talking, (insprctor liked this alot) what they were drawing (wht it was, where th animal loved, wht noise it makes etc) as well while reading.

my inspector was really understanding that i had only just started, got no actions as i explained what i would like to do in future as i grew and got more in to it :) i too havent done sef, she really liked my questionair about likes dislikes, just make sure contract, permissions etc are all filled in.

i got a satisfactory with 1 days notice and just starting work i was pretty dam pleased!!!! and i love the way she has written my report very positve :)

GOOD LUCK XXXX

fieryleo1984
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Everyone just to let you know she came today, she was really nice and stayed for less than two hours. Got a satisfactory which im pleased about as I feel I havent been doing it long enough to get a higher grade. I have got a action though :-o, I gave my mindee calpol and I did have written permision from mum but I didnt record it in the NCMA book, to be honest it didnt even cross my mind I thought that was for accidents so I apologised and said I will do that in future.

So thats it over and done with for the next couple of years x

cherry
05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
:clapping: Well done you :clapping:

breezy
05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
well done :clapping: :clapping:

Pauline
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Well done, now you can relax and take your time getting yourself sorted. Remember we are always here to help so just fire away with any questions. :thumbsup:

pears
05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Well done!:clapping:

kel1983
05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
well done :clapping:

Vickster
05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Well done you!

The Juggler
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
so glad it went ok hon.:thumbsup:

Flisspaps
06-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Well done you. Such a weight off your mind. Everyone gets an action by the way, even those who are Outstanding, as there is ALWAYS room for improvement :)