PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation?

Cazz
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I know I haven't started childminding but this is a situation I could (hopefully!) encounter in the new year. Somebody that I worked with is about to go on maternity leave and she knows I am hoping to become a registered childminder. She commented "if I come back I may need your services." At the moment she works Mon & Tues 9.30-2.30.

The thing is she also has a 6 year old but she finishes work in time to collect him from school so he wouldn't need minding but I am assuming that in the school holidays she would want him to come along with his baby brother/sister.

I wouldn't want to have to say I couldn't have him in the holidays if I was already minding his sibling but what do you do about keeping a place for him?(assuming and wishful thinking that I will become full!) Obviously you can't charge for those ten hours every week while he is at school but if you kept it open you could potentially be refusing someone who would have fiilled those hours?

How do you experienced childminders overcome this?

Carole x

ajs
12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
assuming he is over 5 then he would fall into another age ratio anyway.
the chances are you will have space for him in the holidays as you won't be having that age in the term time ( they will be at school all day )

miffy
13-05-2008, 05:28 AM
I agree with mandy!

miffy xx

angeldelight
13-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I agree

Good luck

Angel xx

christine e
13-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi agree with everyone else but remember this isn't until next year and a 6 year old now will then be 7 and could even be nearly 8. Once 8 years old you don't have to worry (hope you are following this)

Christine

susi513
13-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Just a word of warning - I've had a number of neighbours and friend who've made casual/vague enquiries. Some never mention it again, others come back expecting you to have saved a place for them.

So what I do now is emphasise I'd love to look after their children IF I happen to have a place available when they need it. Until they know for sure when they want to start, what days/hours they want etc I'm not holding a place for them. As soon as they know exactly what they need to let me know asap & come round for a cuppa. At that time I can either sort out the paperwork or apologise I don't have space any more but will put them top of the waiting list.

I have two school children whose younger siblings have a contract with me. They book as and when they need care but the older children have no guarantee of a place as they have no contracted place. I don't do holiday only contracts. If they want a guaranteed place they need a full-year contract.

HTH