PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a bathing mindees policy?

lauren1979
29-09-2011, 02:22 PM
One of my mindees today got covered in paint...we were doing big painting outside and despite being covered overall wise she covered her hair, face etc. So the only way to clean her up was in the bath.

I know her Mum as a friend so knew she would not mind, although texted to check, but feel maybe I should have a policy for all as we do do a lot of messy type play..have always managed with a bowl of water, soap and wipes up unitl now though!

*daisychain*
29-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I have it on the parents permission slips that they sign ,just to cover myself.:)

rickysmiths
29-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I include it with my Parent Permissions.

rosebud
29-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I bath them if necessary and just tell the parents when they pick them up. I never even thought of having a policy. Do you think I need one? What sort of things would it cover?

mama2three
29-09-2011, 04:35 PM
i have it on my general permissions slip that i may bathe mindees if i deem it neccessary.

miffy
29-09-2011, 04:55 PM
No, I don't have it on any of my permission slips or have a policy on it but then I've only ever had to bathe children on a couple of occasions where they've had explosive nappies. Something else I need to think about :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

nic t
29-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a bathe when necessary permision form. :)

TheBTeam
29-09-2011, 08:00 PM
No but in 8 years of minding I have never needed to bath a child.

Mummits
29-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I have a personal contact, modesty and privacy policy which covers changing, undressing and bathing/showering and a parental permission form covering bathing or showering. I have had to shower/bathe a toddler who was out of nappies but had a tummy upset shall we say? I also teach some of mine to swim and obviously have to shower them and dry their hair afterwards

Flisspaps
30-09-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't.

If parents are happy for me to change their children's nappies and help them go to the toilet (without explicit signed permission) I don't see that adding an extra permission slip for bathing their child if they got messy would be required :)

Tealady
30-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I've done a risk assesment as part of my Bathroom RA, however it didn't really occur to me that I would need permissions done. My job is to care for children and I just assumed that if a child gets dirty I clean them by the best and most practical method appropiate. Wether it be a quick wipe over with a damp bit of kitchen towel or a bath/shower.

Donkey
30-09-2011, 07:16 PM
it is in my permission forms to bathe children if needed, but its been so blinking hot the past couple of days that by 4.30 my mindee and dd were melthing...

they were so miserable. so double check with parents and they went for a paddle in the bath with a vest and pants on, its only like being in a paddling pool, except they were out of the sun

:clapping:

plus it saved mum a job of bathing mindee at night, there was just me and mindee at 5pm today and as dad was picking up because mum was out, I bathed her and did her hair.

I feel its part of the more personal service we offer over nurseries, some parents won't want it, some realise were a home :)

PixiePetal
30-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't have a policy but do occasionally pop a child in the bath - after a trip to farm park on a hot day this summer I put the 2 yr old in the bath - he had sand stuck in his sweaty hair and was sticky with sun cream. He was much more comfortable when cleaned up (and did not want to get out!) - I did tell parent who was more than happy but maybe I should get it in writing to cover myself with future parents :rolleyes:

Mummits
30-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I forgot to add that there may be cultural/faith related issues related to bathing/showering. For one of my families showering was fine, but bathing in standing water a complete no-no. Not quite sure why, but it's obviously important to meet parents' wishes.

lauren1979
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Great thanks, will probably do a brief one just to cover myself and check with parents.

chez
01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes Im looking at doing one, especially as we will be offering overnight care.

It will be handy for messy play or messy nappies and also the child which many of us have had where mummy/daddy just needs an extra hand with general hygine with the child.