PDA

View Full Version : First parent visit tomorrow !!!!

Mrs Dolphin
29-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi girls just wondering if anyone has any tips. I have a parent coming around tomorrow. It is my first enquiry!! It is to look after a little girl who is nearly 2 years for 2 full days a week. The little girl already goes nursery and the mum thinks all that time at nursery is too much so looking at an alternative. The mum kind of said of the phone the nursery was quite stuctured and she thought it was too much for this age. I have printed all my policies and procedures should she want to look at it and I have made up an information sheet which she can take away with her (2 pages talking about prices/holidays etc). What are the main things to talk to her about. I have found out what her little girl likes so can lay those sorts of toys out. Any advice, i'm really nervous. xx

Pixie dust
29-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Try to relax and be yourself.

Demonjill
29-09-2011, 02:42 PM
:thumbsup: First of all well done in getting an enquiry.

Take a deep breath lol

You sound very organised - good idea with the toys.

I would just have a friendly chat so she can see what kind of person you are and interact with the child.
She may want to see round the house and you can talk about what activities you do, examples of meals and snacks you provide, things you provide and what you expect parent to provide etc.

Explain the kids have free play time as well as organised activities/outings so as to encourage the child to make decisions about what they want to play with. This should go down well as a plus point for childminders and that you can be flexible re times.

This is just off top of my head before i rush out door loads more adeas lol

Good luck

Goatgirl
29-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi :),
I'd say the most important thing is to be your (professional!) self and make sure you project your best side.

Tell them a bit about places you go and how you can be flexible for little one - see if they have any concerns and address them honestly from the outset. Anything you're not sure you want to commit to, say you'll give it some thought and get back to them :rolleyes: It's too easy to agree to anything and everything just to get work...:D

If you're feeling nervous about Mum/Dad scrutinising your interaction with the child ( I always do , don't know why!) just give them the info sheet and copies of any policies etc, so their full attention isn't on you and then chat to/ get down on the floor with the child. Once you get a connection going you wont feel as intimidated.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Natternic
29-09-2011, 06:23 PM
My first enquiry a few weeks ago, ask them to write down any questions they have, I let them look thru my portfolio while I made drinks and then played with lil one, I explained a bit about the things in portfolio. I then showed them round my house explaining things like why I haven't got my stair gates up yet! I also made some notes/questions to ask them as it's a two way thing, no need to be nervous just have it all written down.
When they leAve ask them tolet you know either way
Good luck and relax it's your home

Please help
29-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi
I just wanted to let you know I understand how you feel.
I have my first visit on Saturday im soooooo nervous :(
I really hope it goes well, please let us know.
Good luck
(great idea with the toys I wish I had thought of that :idea: )

Mrs Dolphin
29-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Just had another phone call someone else is coming round tomorrow afternoon Eeeekkk :)

miffy
29-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Just had another phone call someone else is coming round tomorrow afternoon Eeeekkk :)

Wow, looks like you are going to be in demand! :thumbsup:

I agree with florabird - give parents your paperwork to look through and you talk to/play with the child.

Good luck.

Miffy xx