PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training mindees - Help?!

childcareclair
29-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Hello,

Has anyone got any advice on this? The parent has suggested running around without bottoms on, does anyone allow this? Not sure I feel comfortable. We have had one accident and only 1 spare pair of clothing.

There has been no established routine at home yet so not 100% sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cx

QualityCare
29-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Am assuming the child has shown an inclination of knowing that she is weeing in her nappy, mum should really establish a routine at home first with child wearing clothes, if mum wants you to initiate potty training first to save her the bother then start your way on Monday assuming its a full time child, tell mum what you are doing and suggest what she should do at home in the evenings and morning and hope she keeps to your routine at the week ends.

The Juggler
29-09-2011, 08:43 PM
NO!:eek: :eek: i've had several mindees who've started potty training this way at home. it's just not practical here. apart from obvious nakedness and appropriateness what happens when you go out :eek:

miffy
29-09-2011, 08:46 PM
No, I wouldn't have a child running around my home with nothing on their bottom half.

Has mum already started potty training or is she simply expecting you to do it?

Miffy xx

tulip0803
29-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I tell parents in my potty training policy that they need to take at least a week off work to start the training and to see how it goes. I tell them I cannot have children running around without knickers on for hygiene reasons and for the dignity of the child (it is inappropriate in a child care setting). I also cannot have them weeing on the floor all the time as it is carpet. It has to be established at home with very few accidents first. There is too much happening at mine for them to not be distracted from the feelings of needing to go.

During potty training they need loads of clothes and socks and a spare pair of shoes if using pants (i don't really like training with pull-ups as they think its a nappy half the time:rolleyes: ).

I have one that has decided to train herself this week - pulled her nappy off sat on potty and went, then did it again and again. It caught Mum by surprise she had no knickers!

Beetlejuice
29-09-2011, 09:58 PM
IF the child has shown signs they are ready then I expect parents to start at the weekend. I then ask for a number of changes of outfits and at least 10 pairs of pants!!! (Tesco value £1 for 5 is what I suggest :D ) I do have some spare clothes but I refuse to use my own children's clothes for potty training mindees.

It's worked so far - I've successfully trained two in the last year. No naked bottoms here and I refuse to stay in all day. We continue with our routine as normal and I carry a portable potty, antibac wipes and loo roll everywhere for a while. In the car I put towels in the car seats though make sure children go for a wee before we go out.

Beetlejuice
29-09-2011, 10:00 PM
During potty training they need loads of clothes and socks and a spare pair of shoes if using pants (i don't really like training with pull-ups as they think its a nappy half the time:rolleyes: ).

With mindees (and my own DD) I put pull ups on over the top of their pants if we went out for a while - that way if they wet themselves they didn't mess everything but they still got the unpleasant sensation of being wet which encouraged them not to do it again! I agree that pull ups aren't helpful as training pants as they are just like nappies and the children don't feel the wet sensation so carry on weeing in them.

AliceK
30-09-2011, 08:37 AM
With mindees (and my own DD) I put pull ups on over the top of their pants if we went out for a while - that way if they wet themselves they didn't mess everything but they still got the unpleasant sensation of being wet which encouraged them not to do it again! I agree that pull ups aren't helpful as training pants as they are just like nappies and the children don't feel the wet sensation so carry on weeing in them.

I do this too. It seems to work and saves all the mess and embarassment if they have an accident when we are out :thumbsup:

xxx

rickysmiths
30-09-2011, 09:04 AM
No way would I do this. Totally wrong to have a half naked child for all sorts of reasons, they wouldn't do this at Day Nursery so why should parents expect it of us?

When we are agreed that the child is ready I expect the parents to take at least one week off if not two to crack it at home where the lo is comfortable. I always recommend the los wear pants because they have to learn to give themselves enough time to pull them down to go to the lo. Very valuble piece of advise I was given by a friend with my dd. :thumbsup:

When the child is confident and the major accidents are over I will carry on. Like others I have a prtable potty to take out and at mine the child will use the toilet or a potty in the downstairs toilet.

I hate pullups and always advise my parents from using them. I pop a towel under lo in the car and have loads of changes of clothes.

jumping j
30-09-2011, 09:05 AM
great idea, i'll be trying this one!

The Juggler
30-09-2011, 01:04 PM

me too! :D

LittleVoice
30-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I have a 2 year old who has just become potty trained.
We started potty training at home and the only way she managed to get it was to have nothing on her bottom half as she really struggled with pulling her trousers down and back up. however there is no way i would want her wandering around with nothing on while she was at her childminders.

She had 2 full weeks at home and just about had it cracked before she went back to her childminder after summer. She only goes to her childminder once a week for 6 hours so not a long time but i sent lots of full changes of clothes (and footwear!) and nappies.

I left it up to my childminder as too whether she left her in pants or put a nappy on as i can totally understand not wanting a child too wee everywhere.

You have got to think about the issue of safegurading too, What if there are other children present? how would you cope with any innapropriate behaviour from them? Or what happens if you have an unexpected caller at the door? Or even an emergency? In my opinion, having a half naked child wouldnt be practical nor safe for anyone within a childminding setting.

HTH x

childcareclair
03-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I have told her that I can not have the child running around without bottoms on, it's not practical and not fair on the other children when I have to clear mess up or worse, leave the mess until I have cleaned the child up.

It seems like she is just waiting for him to make the next move, he wanted a nappy on this morning so he turned up with one on?! I'm going to use this for getting experience for the next one and try my best to support the child through this stage in his life.

suzyjane73
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm going through this with one of my mindees, he uses toilet well at home but won't here. Mum sends him with selection of nappies, pull ups and pants and only the trousers he arrives in even though I keep asking her to send spare trousers. I've had to wash and tumble dry his trousers one day and put him in an old pair of shorts of my sons. I agrees they must be covered up even if its just pants. I don't want the baby crawling in his bum slicks. YUK