PDA

View Full Version : Sticky situation

Annelize
29-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Hi all, I just checked my figures for the last 6 months, compaired my bookkeeping, invoices and bank statement. One of my mindees childcare was paid to me directly by the councill untill the 10th of June. The parent had to pay themselves after that. We have a very good relationship. Ive just notice the bid in June that the had to pay for, just over £200, was never paid. I know they didnt do it on purpose, dont know why I didnt notice it sooner how it could have happend. What do I do? Should I tell mum or do I just write it off as a lost :-( Cant believe this happened.

miffy
29-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I would speak to the parents - you say they wouldn't have done it on purpose so I hope it won't be a problem.

Good luck

Miffy xx

SammyM
29-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Def speak to the parents, like you say it was an oversight (they must have noticed they were £200 better off tho!!??) And it is still money owed.

The Juggler
29-09-2011, 11:57 AM
def. tell them hon :thumbsup: maybe they could pay £50 a month extra to pay it off?

QualityCare
29-09-2011, 12:26 PM
def. tell them hon :thumbsup: maybe they could pay £50 a month extra to pay it off?

Was going to suggest the same thing, tell them you were getting your accounts up to date and noticed it, have you got receipts, invoices to show them when council stopped and when parents actually started paying you.

Mouse
29-09-2011, 12:45 PM
I would write down exactly what was due when, and exactly what you received.

That way you can show parents clearly where the payment was missing. I'm sure it was a genuine oversight, but you would have thought they would notice they were £200 better off one month.

Flisspaps
29-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't ask for the money, and would write it off. Invoicing and ensuring that fees are paid to me is my responsibility, if I messed it up it would be a harsh lesson for me to learn.

The Juggler
29-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't ask for the money, and would write it off. Invoicing and ensuring that fees are paid to me is my responsibility, if I messed it up it would be a harsh lesson for me to learn.

I don't agree hon. invoices are issued but its up to parents to pay it. Yes, we chase them because we want the money but at the end of the day, they received the service and it wasn't paid for. It was only a few months ago. If it was a year maybe I'd write it off though.

I don't check my bank account every month I expect parents to pay.

Flisspaps
29-09-2011, 01:57 PM
You see, I check for every payment and if payment isn't made in full then care would be refused. I issue receipts for every payment too.

Many of you are saying 'didn't the parent notice they were £200 up?', but I'd certainly notice immediately that I was £200 short.

Minstrel
29-09-2011, 03:51 PM
You see, I check for every payment and if payment isn't made in full then care would be refused. I issue receipts for every payment too.

Many of you are saying 'didn't the parent notice they were £200 up?', but I'd certainly notice immediately that I was £200 short.

Funny this has come up!

3 yrs ago i left Southern Electric and was due a refund as i was in credit at the time. They accidentally refunded me twice (sent a cheque out which i cashed but they also credited my bank account which i didn't notice). Well they've only just noticed (as i have i now i've gone back and checked) and guess what... I'm still liable to pay. I'm happy to do this as i am 'up' more than i should be but it's still their error.

mabel
30-09-2011, 03:04 PM
ask for it - you worked it !

I keep a running total on excell sheets what mine own and what they pay and e-mail a copy to my parents regularly

keep tabs on it every week !

wendywu
30-09-2011, 03:44 PM
We all make mistakes so i would have no problem asking for it :D

karensmart4
30-09-2011, 05:10 PM
To be honest I would put it down as a loss.

It was at the time of the change over and it looks to me to be a genuine oversight if as you say you have a very good relationship with the family.

You didn't miss the money at the time or you would have noticed, I would put it down to experience but at the end of the day it's up to you to decide what you feel is right all round :)

Mummits
30-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I had a very similar experience. I had two or three months where one family paid late and then I failed to spot that they missed one payment altogether and mistakenly thought they were then paying dead on time when they had actually got a whole month behind. By the time I realised, it was really water under the bridge. We did have a reasonably good relationship but mum with whom I dealt on a daily basis was quite emotional and volatile and I was convinced she would take offence hugely at being told she was in arrears (I think she also genuinely believed she was up to date) and probably give notice or just pull her children out. So I decided to let it go and put it down to experience. I was also told ages afterwards (too late) that I could have treated the written off debt as an expense.