PDA

View Full Version : Initial meeting...does anyone sign contracts straight away?

nipper
29-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Ok so I'm now on my second initial meeting of the week. Totally different to last week, when I was waiting for that elusive telephone enquiry.

My question is, how many of you actually end up signing contracts on your first meeting with parents?

What I've been doing up until now is talking a little about me, my fees, terms and conditions (briefly), show them my registration certificate, tell them a little about the sorts of activities I will be going etc etc. I have done a parent welcome pack, but I only give this once they have signed contracts as a) I can't justify wasting my printer ink on someone who doesn't take the place and b) they might be another childminder posing as a parent (as I've read has happened from some of the other posts on here)

I then send them away to mull over what we've talked about. Two parents I have met are both within walking distance of me so what I do is take their address and within a day, I write a formal letter to them, outlining what we discussed at our meeting and basically summarising the fee structure. That way, they have it in writing and can make an informed decision as to whether or not to sign up their child. I then drop it off at their house (not wishing to appear nosey but like I said, they are within walking distance)

Do you think this is alright? I don't want to appear too desperate to have 'a' child, but at the same time I want to come over as professional but without parents thinking they can take liberties.

Ah the cut throat business of childminding eh?
Thanks as ever.
Emma

Goatgirl
29-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi :),
The way you're doing things is as right as it feels for you. You'll probably find faults with and continually adjust your procedures to suit you and the families you deal with. I certainly have.

In answer to your question though. Yes, I have had parents sign contracts on the first visit. Often they need care quite soon or find it hard to find times for the visits. I explain on the telephone/ by email that I take the first months 'in advance' payment at the time of signing though and that it will be treated as a deposit i.e. non refundable if the contract doesn't go ahead as planned. (unless it doesn't go ahead because of me, in which case I refund in full :))

In short, do what feels right for you at the time :thumbsup:

Best wishes,
Wendy :)

AliceK
29-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi :),
The way you're doing things is as right as it feels for you. You'll probably find faults with and continually adjust your procedures to suit you and the families you deal with. I certainly have.

In answer to your question though. Yes, I have had parents sign contracts on the first visit. Often they need care quite soon or find it hard to find times for the visits. I explain on the telephone/ by email that I take the first months 'in advance' payment at the time of signing though and that it will be treated as a deposit i.e. non refundable if the contract doesn't go ahead as planned. (unless it doesn't go ahead because of me, in which case I refund in full :))

In short, do what feels right for you at the time :thumbsup:

Best wishes,
Wendy :)

Yes I have done the same. Had parents wishing to sign straight away even though I usually tell them to go and see a few childminders and go with their gut instinct. As long as I feel comfortable with them (no bad gut instincts :panic: ) then I'm happy to do so but I do require a deposit at time of signing but will accept a cheque if need be.

Good luck :thumbsup:

xxxx

candy cat
29-09-2011, 10:06 AM
if parents are happy I take deposit and give them my childcare acceptance form and then arrange to come back to do all the contract as take ages. Once deposit has been paid they get parent pack and I encourage them to read and sign as much as possible so it's just contract to worry about! x

minkzebell
29-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Ok so I'm now on my second initial meeting of the week. Totally different to last week, when I was waiting for that elusive telephone enquiry.

My question is, how many of you actually end up signing contracts on your first meeting with parents?

What I've been doing up until now is talking a little about me, my fees, terms and conditions (briefly), show them my registration certificate, tell them a little about the sorts of activities I will be going etc etc. I have done a parent welcome pack, but I only give this once they have signed contracts as a) I can't justify wasting my printer ink on someone who doesn't take the place and b) they might be another childminder posing as a parent (as I've read has happened from some of the other posts on here)

I then send them away to mull over what we've talked about. Two parents I have met are both within walking distance of me so what I do is take their address and within a day, I write a formal letter to them, outlining what we discussed at our meeting and basically summarising the fee structure. That way, they have it in writing and can make an informed decision as to whether or not to sign up their child. I then drop it off at their house (not wishing to appear nosey but like I said, they are within walking distance)

Do you think this is alright? I don't want to appear too desperate to have 'a' child, but at the same time I want to come over as professional but without parents thinking they can take liberties.

Ah the cut throat business of childminding eh?
Thanks as ever.
Emma

why don't you email the parent pack?, I do this and put a password on it to block any editing

miffy
29-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I never fill in the contract at the first visit as I usually have people to look round when I'm working so it would be impossible to find the time to fill in the contract then.

It also gives me a bit of breathing space if I'm not sure to decide if I really want to have the child.

Like the others said, you just have to do what's right for you :)

Miffy xx

QualityCare
29-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't usually sign contracts on first visit, l do general chat, routine, fees, explain about policies etc, find out about themselves, then make a date usually 2/3 days later to come back to fill in contracts l find that the child is more likely then to wander and play as they have been before leaving parent and me to form fill.

Erika
29-09-2011, 06:32 PM
why don't you email the parent pack?, I do this and put a password on it to block any editing

How do you do that? Is it something the email host allows? I ask as it would come in very handy for me to be able to put a password on emails I send to prevent them from being edited.

onceinabluemoon
29-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Some of mine have signed up on first visit, others have been two or three times before signing.

AliceK
30-09-2011, 12:50 PM
How do you do that? Is it something the email host allows? I ask as it would come in very handy for me to be able to put a password on emails I send to prevent them from being edited.

Hi

You just put the password on the document so if it's a Word / excel document you password protect the document so that it is Read only. It's really easy to do, I do it on all the invoices I email out.

xxxx

Erika
30-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks Alison - I knew about the office docs but wondered if minkzebell was passwording the emails themselves.