PDA

View Full Version : mindee starting private nursery

TRACEY1969
28-09-2011, 07:44 PM
had a mindee start a private nursery due to still in nappies and is now 3 1/2 years old. He is there from 9am till 1.15 and then i pick him up and have him till 6pm. The parents want to know whats he eaten and been upto at nursery and hows potty training coming on, but the nursery don't do a book and they said the child should tell us what hes being doing, the trouble is we think he needs extra help (special needs). Is it my job to tell the parents everything he does at nursery what toys he plays with, who with ect. I do ask about his potty training and what he had for dinner, but i get the feeling that nursery are pushing me out the door now so i asked them to write it down for me, they done it once, i have told parents they need to ask when they take him there as they can get a better knowlege of what he is doing. What does everyone else do?

funemnx
28-09-2011, 08:03 PM
It's so difficult trying to share information with other settings, they're so busy themselves and probably don't realise how important it is. The parents need to make them aware how important it is to them to know these things. |I have a child with bowel problems and the playschool don't realise how important it is for me to know if he's had a BM or not. Good luck! :thumbsup:

rosebud
28-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I would've thought it was good practice to have a book where there's shared care. I have always had one when I've shared care with another setting even if its on different days. I would buy one myself and speak to the room supervisor and explain what you want them to do, if you have no luck then try speaking to the manager.

Maza
28-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I think the parents need to deal with the nursery rather than you. You could make a few suggestions to the parents, for example could they come up with a very quick nappy changing form which they fill in throughout the day. That way you are still having an input into working with the other setting, but to be honest, when I worked in nursery I would not have felt happy starting something like this without having had direct communication with the parents, confidentiality issues etc. It's not fair of the parents to put you in this position.

TRACEY1969
29-09-2011, 08:09 AM
i picked him up from nursery yesterday and noticed he had a mark on his forehead, ususally parents ring me before taking him to let me know if any marks on him. I asked about the mark they said he must of just done it so i asked for a note off them. They took this funny with me, they filled out a log of it got me to sign it and then said goodbye, i asked if i get a copy as i am a registered minder they said no they keep it for there records only. I texted mom to let her know asap and that i wasn't happy and anyone could say he done this at mine. Am i jumping the gun, but thats what safe guarding courses are for or am i wrong. Parents are going in today to tell them i need a note stating any accidents at nursery and this didnt happen in my care. I hope this doesn't make things arward for me now.:blush:

LittleVoice
30-09-2011, 08:41 PM
i picked him up from nursery yesterday and noticed he had a mark on his forehead, ususally parents ring me before taking him to let me know if any marks on him. I asked about the mark they said he must of just done it so i asked for a note off them. They took this funny with me, they filled out a log of it got me to sign it and then said goodbye, i asked if i get a copy as i am a registered minder they said no they keep it for there records only. I texted mom to let her know asap and that i wasn't happy and anyone could say he done this at mine. Am i jumping the gun, but thats what safe guarding courses are for or am i wrong. Parents are going in today to tell them i need a note stating any accidents at nursery and this didnt happen in my care. I hope this doesn't make things arward for me now.:blush:

OMG thats terrible. In no circumstances should a childs injury record sheet just be for their records. The fact that you are authorised to pick the child up gives you the same authority to take this sort of information from nursery to hand back to the parents at the end of the day. I would sit down with the parents and tell them that they need to have words with the nursery.