PDA

View Full Version : kids helping out

TRACEY1969
28-09-2011, 11:51 AM
the 2 mindees i have one is 2 the other 3 but nither of them will help me tidy up now they both say no or if i have them on different days so they see each other its worst. I don't understand they always helped me.The 3 year old sat in the middle of the room yesterday cried and say no, he doesn't speak much but last week he done the same and when i put the toys away he smiled and got up and wanted some more toys out. What would you do he does understand but he doesn't speak hopefully special needs will help him.

rosebud
28-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd reward them when they do help and don't make too much fuss when they don't.

TRACEY1969
28-09-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd reward them when they do help and don't make too much fuss when they don't.

i have tried that but forgot to add he is now throwing the toys about.

PixiePetal
28-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Less toys out at a time and more out if he helps tidy up :)

QualityCare
28-09-2011, 01:53 PM
No change of toys until he has tidied up, tell him, we can do such and such when we have tidied up and give him one task, put cars in box and l'll do bricks, if he doesn't help you stop and say thats a shame your are not helping we can't do whatever now, put away the bits you have done and leave rest. Then ignore and praise when/if its done.

caz3007
28-09-2011, 06:10 PM
When I have a child who refuses to tidy and they are old enough to understand, I become very hyper and excited and make a huge game of it, 'oooohhhhh lets see if you can pick up more cars than me' 'Quick I am beating you' ect and it usually works

kel1983
28-09-2011, 06:50 PM
When I have a child who refuses to tidy and they are old enough to understand, I become very hyper and excited and make a huge game of it, 'oooohhhhh lets see if you can pick up more cars than me' 'Quick I am beating you' ect and it usually works

I do this too. Seems to work well. I also refuse to get anything else out till they have tidied away what they were playing with.

When I first started I had so many toys out that one lo use to tip all the boxes out and then refused to tidy them away. Now I only have a couple of boxes at a time.

Ali56
28-09-2011, 08:05 PM

I do too! and have little competitions like 'who can put the red bricks away' or 'can you put 4 cars in this box' lots of praise and encouragement when they join in!

mushpea
28-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I used to find that I would have one that would happilhy tidy up and one that would v.slowly put one thing away on purpose so they didnt have to tidy so i used to say to the one tidying 'well done you have put enough away now you can get ready to go out/play with toys' then I would tell the other child that untill they had put away the rest of the toys they wouldnt play or couldnt put their shoes on and that seemed to work
at the nursery years ago they wouldnt let the child play with anything else untill they had tidyed up their share of the toys.
you could try giving them a pile each and make it a race then if they tidy give them a sticker