PDA

View Full Version : Is this inappropriate?

helendee
28-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I was reading a post on netmums last night (Yes I know) LOl in
which a nursery nurse student commented on how some of the children were dressed from head to toe in designer, expensive clothing. She expressed an opinion that it was a little OTT to dress a child like that when they were only going to get covered in paint and dirt.

She received some horrible, bullying replies saying that she should not post opinions about children in her nursery as they could be identified ( they couldn't) and that she was being unprofessional.

Do you think she was? I can't see it personally. :confused:

Pipsqueak
28-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Its netmums - one suggestion: pinch of salt and big dose of hilarity. I just cannot take that site seriously - the majority over there are nasty judgemental bullying witches who are part of a new breed of society that have an opinion on everything but generally know nothing and like to decry denounce and strip to bare bones anyone who DARES to express a different opinion or ask a question that doesn't fit with their yummy mummy attitude.

I find them funny as hell tbh.

i know the post you are on about and no the lass was asking an innocent question that has been hijacked but aforemention witches who cannot abide anyone they think might be making reference (or in their opinion - attack) their bubble lifestyle.

JCrakers
28-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Seems to me like she was just expressing an opinion. Unless she identified the nursery and the names of the children I dont see a problem..
I do agree with her, sometimes children are dressed to 'nicely' for painting, glueing, muddy walks, etc.

Some parents are not happy when their child gets dirty or has messy clothing but its all part of growing up and they will get messy at nursery.....kids love to get messy and if they are resctricted by designer clothing then I dont think its fair.
I would love to see my own children coming home with a bit of paint, glue on them, dirt on their knees...show me they've had a good day

Only my opinion :D
Becky

Flisspaps
28-09-2011, 10:21 AM
You should join Mumsnet, far more sensible :D

gigglinggoblin
28-09-2011, 10:36 AM
She could work in any nursery, its really common to dress kids up and then complain when they get dirty. I think we have to be more careful because its much easier for parents to identify specific issues, that one sounds fairly general. Would love to have a rant today but not going to!

miffy
28-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Seems to me like she was just expressing an opinion. Unless she identified the nursery and the names of the children I dont see a problem..

Becky

I agree with this - as long as the nursery, children etc can't be identified from what she put she is entitled to her opinion

Miffy xx

helendee
28-09-2011, 11:10 AM
LOL thanks ladies

Netmums are the nastiest, w(b)itchiest group of women I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.... imagine looking after their los!! :eek: x

Pipsqueak
28-09-2011, 11:15 AM
LOL thanks ladies

Netmums are the nastiest, w(b)itchiest group of women I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.... imagine looking after their los!! :eek: x

no honestly - they are funny as anything - I actually pity some of them... others I mock..... (yes yes I know you shouldn't mock the afflicted.....;) :laughing: )

helendee
28-09-2011, 11:24 AM
no honestly - they are funny as anything - I actually pity some of them... others I mock..... (yes yes I know you shouldn't mock the afflicted.....;) :laughing: )

You can feel the anger coming out of the screen at you when you dare to voice an alternative opinion.... and why is everyone so precious about their children these days? We all love our own children more than anything in the world but some women these days treat them as personal possessions and won't let dads, or, heaven forbid, their mother-in-laws have a look-in. Very selfish imo>

caz3007
28-09-2011, 11:37 AM
I wonder what children gain by being dressed in designer clothes. My children have named clothes as in George and F&F :laughing: and I dont mind if something gets damaged.

We went camping a few years ago and there was a boating lake, that was the only entertainment for children other than playing in the woods (which a group of them did and a fantastic time was had by all). There was a girl about 8 years old on the boating lake commenting about not getting her outfit wet as it had cost £130....what message does that give a child.

Trying to persuade a mum of mine that a Tesco Saver fleece is just right to be kept here for cooler days and playing in the garden, I dont need or want Next clothes thanks

~Chelle~
28-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I really dont see the point in dressing children in designer clothes for nursery!

I had a mum who always sent her 2 year old in white designer trainers :eek: I used to get the comment "oh, they were white this morning"!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you can afford it and don't mind them getting ruined then fine, but if they get dirty or scuffed, don't complain - Simples :D

mama2three
28-09-2011, 04:19 PM
my ds1s first nursery school was in a fairly deprived area , we lived on the edge of a poor estate then.
i was amazed by the number of children in designer or sports clothes ( nike , adidas etc) for nursery - and these were mainly parents on benefits. mentioned it in passing on day to be told by the teacher - well if youre going to shop lift why do it in Asda!
So now when i see someones little princess head to toe in designer clothes I think back and have a wry smile to myself!

rosebud
28-09-2011, 04:30 PM
well if youre going to shop lift why do it in Asda! :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
28-09-2011, 05:23 PM
My two youngest went to nursery and wore their ordinary everyday clothes which just happened to come from Next. I didn't have the money to go out and buy them 'cheap stuff' for nursery on top of ordinary clothes and assured the staff I didn't care if they got paint on etc as they would wash.

I went without new clothing for years (or bought in charity shops) to buy my kids good quality clothing. I worked in the nursery part time I knew only too well what the staff said about the kids which turned up in stained, cheap clothing. I queued for hours in Next sales to buy my kids their clothes, and at sale price they were cheaper than tesco.

I lived in a deprived area cos my hubby had just run off and left us with nothing... Presumably people thought I shoplifted them too. :(

Please people, don't judge. x

funemnx
28-09-2011, 06:34 PM
it's so funny to imagine that parents expect their children to stay clean all day - I was with another childminder one day at a toddler group and asked if her lo wanted to paint 'my lo's don't do painting' :eek:

SamBaker
28-09-2011, 07:25 PM
well if youre going to shop lift why do it in Asda! :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:
Thats a brilliant one!!

stardust
28-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Its netmums - one suggestion: pinch of salt and big dose of hilarity. I just cannot take that site seriously - the majority over there are nasty judgemental bullying witches who are part of a new breed of society that have an opinion on everything but generally know nothing and like to decry denounce and strip to bare bones anyone who DARES to express a different opinion or ask a question that doesn't fit with their yummy mummy attitude.

I find them funny as hell tbh.

i know the post you are on about and no the lass was asking an innocent question that has been hijacked but aforemention witches who cannot abide anyone they think might be making reference (or in their opinion - attack) their bubble lifestyle.

I completely agree with you and her it is redicouls what some children come dressed in (i have worked in a nursery) and some parents say the child cannot get dirty but don't supply a change of clothes. yes okay we shall just stick your child in a corner with a book but then they dont like that either x

I was once told by a parent my child will learn to respect his clothes if they are designer. my reply he will learn alot more if he was allowed to explore and learn!

Erika
29-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Netmums used to be a great supportive site but I don't bother with it now. I stopped using it about a year ago, I decided that it was a waste of my time trying to have a reasonable discussion with idiots. Still view now and again and see it's just as catty.

My child is in school now but has coordination difficulties which mean that she cannot paint, colour or eat without making a mess of herself. I can't afford to continually purchase new clothing (the allegedly 'washable' paint doesn't wash off, and the sauce in spaghetti hoops stains terribly). Solution - bought her coveralls. A bright pink one for messy class activity and a purple one for school meals. She loves her coveralls and all her classmates want one.

I don't understand parents who make things so awkward. If they don't want the child to get dirty, yet insist on sending them to nursery in their best clothes, buy something to cover their clothing with!

caz3007
29-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I was once told by a parent my child will learn to respect his clothes if they are designer. my reply he will learn alot more if he was allowed to explore and learn!

I had a parent collect and say to her Lo who was about 2 'oh you have got your trainers dirty, you must learn to respect your clothes', they werent that bad, just a wipe over would suffice, but then this parent was going to buy Raybans for him at that age too, I did say at that point, that there was no way I was going to be responsible for them, her child yes, Raybans no :laughing: