PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Fees!!

NI MINDER
28-09-2011, 07:23 AM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/16000-the-staggering-annual-cost-of-childcare-for-struggling-families-16056107.html

this is a link to an article in one of our main local papers!! - cant believe headline. In my area we wouldnt get away with charging any more than £3 per hour, multiply that by a 45 hour week (parents basic 40 plus allow their commute of 1/2 hour there and 1/2 hour home) - then multiply by 48 as we dont get paid for our holidays - my calculations make that £6480 for first child, if there is a 2nd child in family it is 25% less.

Makes me feel guilty at charging these poor parents - but how the dickens are we meant to make a living. I have 3 kids of my own so that means i can only look after 3 more and only one under 1 at a time.

What the article doesnt say is that the majority of parents who pay these high fees normally use nurseries and are getting most of it paid through tax credits.

Think thats my rant over.... but would love to hear any one elses thoughts :littleangel:

Edit to add - my husband works full time and works hard for £16500 a year - maybe he should be childminding at the rates we are supposed to charge!!

JCrakers
28-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Sounds a lot doesnt it...Thats definitley a fulltime 50hr a week place isnt it.

It looks like they are working on fiqures for 2 children 50hrs a week, full payment for both at around £3.50 each for 48 weeks a yr.