PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please.....

Toothfairy
27-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a 2.5yr old Mindee who I have had since 6m old.
She has always had very good speech and vocab from a young age.
This week she has started to say "Eee ER" at the end of her sentances, never done it before?

ie: Read me a story Traceyer.
Can I have a drinker
Mummyer
Daddyer
Where's my teddyer

(Sounds like;Daddy = Dadd eee er)

Its driving me nuts!

I have been correcting her and now I have started to ignore it, as the more I was correcting her, the more she was doing it.

Do you think it is attention seeking?

Advice please.

Helen79
27-09-2011, 03:50 PM
she's probably experimenting with a new sound she's learnt so I would ignore it and hope it passes.
Play word games with her, so do lots of rhyming sounds with her so she can get the feel of experimenting with silly sounds and words. Try to put the sound she's using into context so have lots of describing conversations with her 'is that brick heavier?' 'is that blue lighter or darker?' then she can use the sound ee er in the right way too.

The Juggler
27-09-2011, 08:43 PM
i agree, children do this with new sounds and words, like when they start rhyming and they use nonsense words to rhyme with normal words.

I would play rhyming games with her using your own nonsense and real words - join her in finding other 'er' words. Use rhyming books like Grufallo, whale and snail, so she can try to guess the next sounds.:)

Louise B
27-09-2011, 09:38 PM
My 2 year old daughter is doing exactly the same! It's usually when she's annoyed with one of us though, lol. For example, she'll shout "mummy-err" at me, it makes everyone laugh and she's just doing it to get my attention. And probably copying her 2 older sisters!! I think they do experiment with speech, especially if it's something that gets a reaction. xx

jumping j
28-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Just an idea but if someone is teaching her to spell or spelling out words are they over pronouncing the letters, instead of using the phonic sounds?
So instead of the 'y' sound at the end of words she is hearing 'yer'
May just be a phase but it's another idea!!

Toothfairy
28-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks everyone.
I know it sounds petty but this child talks for England, non stop from 8am - 6pm and this constant Eee Er at the end of every sentance is driving me nuts :D
It makes her sound as though she is whineing.

Lets see how she is today :thumbsup: