View Full Version : own children taking up spaces

27-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Hiya I was just wondering how do you all cope with your own children taking up space.

When I first registered it was partly so I could be at home and look after my own children too :) . They are now 7 & 8 and recently i've found myself having to turn away full timers because of not having space in the car when i'm picking up my children.

I've been considering getting an assistant although it seems very expensive and a lot of effort ! So recently I thought of using another childminder to pick up my children freeing up space for me.

Do any of you use another childcare setting to look after your own children ? sounds a bit crazy I know but so is turning down a full days pay for the sake of 2 hrs !

Also do you know if I would be able to claim tax credits to pay for some of the childcare, I don't earn millions ;)

Any comments appreciated
Thanks :)

27-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Can you not get a bigger car? What about friends would any be able to help as it's only two hr or even if they drop them back to you least then your have space in your car. Hope you can work something out.

27-09-2011, 06:32 PM

You can send your children to a childminder or after-school club and claim tax credits for it the way you would with any other job (providing that the family income was below whatever level it is now). They may enjoy it but they may resent it. Even if you did send them to another form or care your 7 year old would still count in your numbers until they turned 8 just like when they are at school.

You have put this in the CSSIW part so if you are in Wales you are not able to leave any children in the care of an assistant while you did school runs etc so this would not help you unless you only employed them to collect your own children. Any extra children that you would be able to care for would only be with an assistant so you would be over numbers while she went to collect yours and she could not collect mindees! These are CSSIW/NMS rules.

I am in the same situation but my children are 7 & 14 - I have to drive to collect DD1 from the school bus so I always have to have a seat for both her and DD2 planned. On my last inspection my inspector said when DD2 turned 8 I could amend my reg numbers but even if I did I would not be able to take on any more children because of the car, I am limited to 4 mindees. I am looking into getting an 8 seater on the next car renweal which would give me an extra seat. I live in a country are with no footpaths and speeding traffic:( so walking is not an option. waiting for council to put a footpath in maybe by the time I retire?!

28-09-2011, 09:36 AM
No cant really afford a bigger car :( got a zafira with 7 seats now so anything bigger would kill me on petrol too !

I think my 8 yr old would love going to another setting she's so nosey would be like a little spy seeing how others do things Lol. but i think your right my little boy would prob resent it & possibly feel pushed out ( which I really don't want ) although it could also give them some independence as they're always with me when not in school .

Even if you did send them to another form or care your 7 year old would still count in your numbers until they turned 8 just like when they are at school.

:confused: Confused ! they count even when they're not in your care ? I would be fine anyway as some mindees are over 8 so not in ratio, but I didn't realise he'd count even if with his nana etc.. in school hols.

If I did employ an assistant they would only be picking up my 2 and I realise my numbers would stay the same but as I said with some mindees over 8 I should be fine, Just seems a risk to take employing someone when this business can change so quickly !

Thanks for your replies and I hope they get cracking with that footpath for you :)

28-09-2011, 02:39 PM
They count in our numbers until they turn 8 years as we are ultimately responsible for them even if they are not with us. This is why your certificate probably says that you can only care for 5 children under 8 years as they take our children out of the numbers from the start. As soon as they turn 8 you can apply to have your certificate changed to 6 children but you would still have the problem with the car same as me.

28-09-2011, 03:33 PM
mmm ok my certificate says 6 under 8's then I take my own from that according to their age at the time, but I expect the rest works the same, things are so different according to the area you live ! It should be the same for all Wales, different inspectors say different things.

Think if anything i'll find another childminder/after school club or something for them sounds much less complicated !!

Although it would be nice to have an extra pair of hands (and eyes) around :)

29-09-2011, 11:54 AM
My 7 year old would love to go to another childminders but only as long as I did not have any children here:rolleyes:

03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
My 7 year old would love to go to another childminders but only as long as I did not have any children here:rolleyes:
Ha ha lol yeah I know too scared they'd be missing out on something :)

03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
When registering I was told that even if my 5 yr old DD and 4 yr DD was in any other care they will still be classed in my numbers because what if childcare provider was sick etc

03-10-2011, 12:13 PM
My son goes to a childminder 2 days a week - I don't claim tax credits or take another child on. His childminder only has him and takes to lots of places I can't. I have heard that some childminders claim tax credits send their child out to childcare and then takes another child in the place.