PDA

View Full Version : I should become a cleaner...

nipper
27-09-2011, 09:58 AM
A lady down the road from me has just pushed a flyer through my door advertising her services as a cleaner. Now don't get me wrong, I'm in the same position, just setting up in business on my own etc etc, but I couldn't believe the prices she is charging. Get this.....£9.50 for a basic one hour clean!!!!
Where is the justice in charging this amount of money for a service? Mind you, if I could whizz round the whole of my house in an hour I would be laughing.
It just does not seem fair that we are doing the job we do, which I think is pretty damn important and being paid peanuts and with just as little recognition too. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

AliceK
27-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Yep I used to pay my cleaner £10 per hour :eek: .
It's madness I agree.

xxxx

Blaze
27-09-2011, 10:16 AM
£10-£13 per hour for cleaners here....the world is mad!:rolleyes:

Libby08
27-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I got paid more per hour (than I charge per child) working on a supermarket till in my first job. I guess having a cleaner is a luxury so if someone is willing to pay it not to have to do it themselves they will charge it! My mother in law cares for the elderly and works long shifts/nights 6 days a week just to get the bills paid!

Ripeberry
27-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Yep I used to pay my cleaner £10 per hour :eek: .
It's madness I agree.

xxxx

Unless the cleaner has over 10hrs of work lined up each day, then in the end they don't earn much more than we do.

But yes, it is annoying that people don't mind paying that much for a cleaner, but it's never for more than a few hours a week, whereas we have to work longer hours for a smaller rate.

Nothings gone wrong, longer hours usually means lower pay rate. Now I would love to be a lawyer, imagine charging £100 for for one hour of your time.
And what about football players, kicking a football around and getting paid ££££'s to do it, skill or no skill it's disgusting :mad:

P.s I don't like football, sorry to all the football fans out there :o

kel1983
27-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I think sometimes that £9 per hour for a cleaner is good money but only if that cleaner has enough work.

Some days I have 3 children all here at the same time so I could be earning £12 per hour. They are usually here for good 8 hours all at the same time. So in theory I am earning more than that cleaner.

I woudnt want to be a cleaner anyway. Can't stand cleaning my own house let alone some other persons house. :laughing:

Twinkles
27-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sure I've told you before but a childminder friend of mine used to look after a little girl for a few hours each week so her mum could get on and clean the house. She said it was cheaper than employing a cleaner :rolleyes:

JCrakers
27-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm sure I've told you before but a childminder friend of mine used to look after a little girl for a few hours each week so her mum could get on and clean the house. She said it was cheaper than employing a cleaner :rolleyes:

I used to look after a 2yr old so Mum could clean. He came for 5hrs and it cost her £15 so cheaper than a couple of hours for a cleaner. In that time she also went shopping and did bits for herself too.....Bargain :D

mummyMia
27-09-2011, 12:53 PM
If we were paid any more then there would be no point whatsover in mum's going to work as they would be left with nothing at the end of the month. Especially the ones who don't get any tax credits!

Ripeberry
27-09-2011, 01:27 PM
If we were paid any more then there would be no point whatsover in mum's going to work as they would be left with nothing at the end of the month. Especially the ones who don't get any tax credits!

Ergo, we will always be paid less than cleaners and have to work longer hours :(

snufflepuff
27-09-2011, 01:38 PM
It's a shame isn't it....but just the way it works. I have actually thought about becoming a cleaner myself!!!

When I was a nanny I was paid £7 per hour net, which if I remember correctly was around £8.30 per hour gross. My boss paid her cleaner £10 per hour. Obviously that amounts to less than she paid me overall.....but the cleaner would do 2 houses a day, 5 days a week, about 3 hours at each house- that makes £300 a week-i'd be happy with that!

Joda
27-09-2011, 04:31 PM
When I was full and working full time I employed a cleaner for an hour a week at £10ph, however, now I've only just got 1 child on some days at £3.50ph I've got rid of the cleaner as I can't justify paying her.

Dragonfly
27-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Hope you lot are not jealous of the cleaners tut tut:laughing:

onceinabluemoon
27-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I think you are crazy being envious! lol...

I used to clean my neighbours house. Her children used to plaster poop all over the loo wall, the loo, the floor etc and it was my job to clean it all off! She used to leave a foul stew of rotting veg in the salad box, her guinea pigs (in the lounge) used to spew pooped on and peed on sawdust all over the place. Goodness knows what crud her kiddies had stuck all over the floors in their bedroom but it stuck to high Heaven and was brown and squishy... Every week I would leave and it would be spotless, every week I'd go back and it would be beyond filthy again. To put it simply, they did nothing themselves!

I would never do that job again, not even for a tenner an hour. I'd rather pay with 3 beautiful children to earn my tenner than clean another family's poop off the walls any day...

Ripeberry
27-09-2011, 08:25 PM

I used to clean my neighbours house. Her children used to plaster poop all over the loo wall, the loo, the floor etc and it was my job to clean it all off! She used to leave a foul stew of rotting veg in the salad box, her guinea pigs (in the lounge) used to spew pooped on and peed on sawdust all over the place. Goodness knows what crud her kiddies had stuck all over the floors in their bedroom but it stuck to high Heaven and was brown and squishy... Every week I would leave and it would be spotless, every week I'd go back and it would be beyond filthy again. To put it simply, they did nothing themselves!

I would never do that job again, not even for a tenner an hour. I'd rather pay with 3 beautiful children to earn my tenner than clean another family's poop off the walls any day...

Wow, that is extreme. I could never get a cleaner in as I would have to 'clean' the house before the cleaner came :o

miffy
27-09-2011, 08:38 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: You must have a strong stomach to do that! :panic:

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
28-09-2011, 07:16 AM
I needed the money, my husband had just left us with absolutely nothing...

miffy
28-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I needed the money, my husband had just left us with absolutely nothing...

Sorry, no offence intended - I am just so squeamish! :blush:

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
28-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Aw hunny, you didn't offend me. Give yourself a hug from me. xx

I'm very much a 'say it as it is' person, I had to do that job cos darling ex hubby left us (me and his kids) on boxing day with nothing, not even the rent money or food in the fridge.

The tables have turned, I am now doing well for myself, have put myself through uni and got a degree, now have my own business, he is on the dole. Karma :)

JCrakers
28-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Aw hunny, you didn't offend me. Give yourself a hug from me. xx

I'm very much a 'say it as it is' person, I had to do that job cos darling ex hubby left us (me and his kids) on boxing day with nothing, not even the rent money or food in the fridge.

The tables have turned, I am now doing well for myself, have put myself through uni and got a degree, now have my own business, he is on the dole. Karma :)

Good for you!!! :thumbsup:

Mamma4Ya
28-09-2011, 12:03 PM
The cleaning business has a strong market now with both couples having to go to work, they dont want to spend weekends cleaning.

I used to charge my clients £35 for a top to bottom clean for a three bed house and would send a team of two girls in, we would supply all the cleaning products and equipment.

They would be in the house approx an hour. I never had a problem getting or keeping clients as they felt that they got a better service than paying per hour as those who charge per hour only ever did certain areas of the house where we guaranteed to clean the entire house which included cleaning windows, skirting boards etc.

marnieb
28-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I love my cleaner!!!! I pay £10 per hour, and she does 2/2.5 hrs a week, cleaning the house and changing the beds, and does some ironing if needed.

I do make sure the house is tidy with no toys etc around, as I pay her to clean, not tidy. I used to work as a nanny as well and some of the things these people expected their cleaner to do was shocking!!

funemnx
28-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I did cleaning for 6 months when I moved and had no children to mind, it's not a bad job but I found every day was the same, with childminding it's the opposite. I would do cleaning again if I couldn't childmind - self-employed, work your own hours, which are in the day time...

My son went from being a qualified gym instructor to a supervisor cleaner in a Services because he earns loads more money doing a job that requires no training (2years college/work experience for the gym).