PDA

View Full Version : Whether to charge a deposit?

nipper
27-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Just had my first enquiry, just wanted to run this by you. Mum considering getting a p/t job, little one age 20 months and mum wants him to do 9am-12pm for two days a week. She hasn't got a job yet, but is happy for him to start soon. We haven't signed contracts yet, but how much is a suitable deposit (or shouldn't I bother). She said she will pay cash up front before each session (which I'm also not fussed on, but I suppose this way if she doesn't pay, he doesn't stay)

Libby08
27-09-2011, 10:32 AM
If they are starting withon a month or so I don't bother but insist on fees in advance as had a non payer when nannying before. If your holding a space for a few months I just ask for a small deposit so you know there serious, I only asked for £50 which go towards fees for the first month, but some say a months fees then return it if all fees up to date when they leave or use it as the months notice fees. I just don't like the idea of owing them money when they leave as like you say if they don't pay you don't take the child.

miffy
27-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I would take a month's fees as deposit and offset that against the first month's fees if the place was taken up.

If mum failed to take up the place I would keep the deposit.

I also ask for payment a month in advance so no payment, no childcare and I am not out of pocket.

It sounds to me like this mum wants to use you as and when she feels like it and I suspect if she decides not to send her child for any reason she will not want to pay you either.

Best to put everything on a formal basis and then there can be no "misunderstandings".

Miffy xx

candy cat
27-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I do a £100 which is then deducted off first invoice

littlecheeks
27-09-2011, 04:50 PM
i charge £50 deposit, but i do it for several reasons. i also take payments in advance for the following week/month.
i keep the deposit until the contrat ends, then parents get it back or towards the last payment.