PDA

View Full Version : Anyone chose not to use a childcare-type-name?

teacherinwales
26-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm in the process of registering as a childminder and I'm torn over naming myself. I've worked at a private nursery and know of nursery names like little monkeys/tigers/ etc. But as a childminder I don't want to give the impression that my services would be like a nursery's.

On the other hand does it appear to others to be more professional and/or appealing to use a name for childminding (instead of my own name of course)?

Hmmm....

Any thoughts?

stardust
26-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm in the process of registering as a childminder and I'm torn over naming myself. I've worked at a private nursery and know of nursery names like little monkeys/tigers/ etc. But as a childminder I don't want to give the impression that my services would be like a nursery's.

On the other hand does it appear to others to be more professional and/or appealing to use a name for childminding (instead of my own name of course)?

Hmmm....

Any thoughts?

I am Tara's childminding service.
It personal and professional x

teacherinwales
26-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I am Tara's childminding service.
It personal and professional x

I too was thinking of using my name followed my 'childminding service'. But it seems popular to have a childcare type name.
Thanks, Tara. At least I'm not alone in my way of thinking.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I have been trying to come with something I am happy with for the last 15 years and I have only just come across something I am semi happy with so if you want a name - GOOD LUCK lol :laughing:

time_4_change
26-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I was debating on whether to use my name or come up with a business name. I decided to stick with using my name as I didn't want to sound like a nursery x

Tink
27-09-2011, 05:46 AM
I chose a business name as there are 15 other childminders in my area and I wanted to stand out.
Not blowing my own trumpet but it has brought me so much business. My other CM friend registered at the same time as me and has only had 2 children since then and no phone calls, I have had over 20 different children, 15 now and I feel more professional having a name.
It's all down to personal choice, but I feel if you have a nice bright logo it attracts people to you.

Roseolivia
27-09-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm Elwick Childminding as Elwick is where i live.

Greengrass74
27-09-2011, 06:11 AM
We are Claire and Dave Childminding Services

Penny1959
27-09-2011, 06:12 AM
After much debate with myself - I have called my setting Penny's Place

Two main reasons - first of course my name is Penny
Second I find it easier to say 'lets go back to Penny's Place (rather than my house or my home) or ' At Penny's Place we ...'

In my last registration I was always slipping up and saying 'lets go home' when of course to mindess my house is not their home.

My logo is a house with 2 children - and the words Penny's Place - so all ties together.

Others have commented that my setting name is professional, friendly and says what it is.

Good luck with choosing yours

Penny :)

Twinkles
27-09-2011, 06:28 AM
We are called HomeFromHome. Having since found quite a few other childminding setting called the same we're not so sure about it now !

Ripeberry
27-09-2011, 06:44 AM
I used 'Strawberry Meadow' as my childminding name. Because it sounded healthy and wholesome. And because my dinning room table has a strawberry tablecloth and the house is on a road named 'Meadow'.

nikki thomson
27-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi, having a fancy name doesn't mean more work will come your way, I know loads of cm with names and they have very few children, parents are intrested in you not what your called, most business comes from people you know or recommendations, but it's an individual choice.

Personally I have enough to do without trying to think up a business name, why make more work for yourself. Xx

amanda1309
27-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I don't have a business name. I thought about it but couldn't think of one:laughing:

rickysmiths
27-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I am Rickysmiths but my parents never refer to me as that they call me by my name. I'm not Ricky!!

I only chose a name because 6yrs ago I did our Counties Quality Assurance Acreditation and part of it was to design a brochure about your services and they like you to have a name.

For the first 10yrs of minding I didn't have one and I was always full!

Flisspaps
27-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I am Laura Doran Childminding.

Does what it says on the tin - and sometimes the cuter sounding names might be off-putting to those wanting a childminder for older children.

Libby08
27-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't have a business name I just use my name. I think if I had a great big play room and was a bit more nursery like I would but don't want them to expect that and be disappointed. I like the idea of your name then Childminding service though as it is a business after all.

TinaH
27-09-2011, 12:38 PM
When I was a mum looking for a childminder I was really put off by all the cute names. To me they made it sound like the childminders were trying to be nurseries. For that reason I have decided to just use my name but have designed a simple logo that I use on my paperwork to make it all look more uniform. I think there will be some parents that like names, some that don't and others that don't care so I'm not sure it really makes much difference to how full you are:)

The Juggler
27-09-2011, 12:50 PM
i don't have a business name - it's just me.

Helen Dempster
27-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm Bubbles and Burps :)

teacherinwales
27-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've had a think about this and I think I will be using my name followed by 'childminding service' because every name I think of just reminds me of a nursery... been there (worked at nursery with compnay name) done that so will stick to my name. However, I will create a nice, bold logo for paperwork and website.
Thanks again. I bet there has been/will be lots of others wondering the same thing.

Doofuz
27-09-2011, 05:01 PM
After much debate with myself - I have called my setting Penny's Place

Two main reasons - first of course my name is Penny
Second I find it easier to say 'lets go back to Penny's Place (rather than my house or my home) or ' At Penny's Place we ...'

In my last registration I was always slipping up and saying 'lets go home' when of course to mindess my house is not their home.

My logo is a house with 2 children - and the words Penny's Place - so all ties together.

Others have commented that my setting name is professional, friendly and says what it is.

Good luck with choosing yours

Penny :)

I love this. For the same reason I have called my business Haley's House. My second name is House and it does what it says on the tin. It's easier when answering the phone and it's a talking point with prospective parents. Has been excellent for business :)

babs
27-09-2011, 06:45 PM
mines Lovebug's as its a name that was given to me and hubby when we first met and its sort of stuck with me..

tulip0803
27-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I just use my own name - I live in a Welsh speaking area and lots of people want things Welsh first but only speak basic Welsh so I don't want to stop people enquiring beacuse I have an English business name or decieve people with a Welsh one IYSWIM

janiefear
27-09-2011, 07:52 PM
As my surname is "Fear" I have decided not to use my name - I'm Little Sunflowers xxxxxx

Chimps Childminding
27-09-2011, 08:14 PM
As my surname is "Fear" I have decided not to use my name - I'm Little Sunflowers xxxxxx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Ah but think of the great names you could have come up with, never mind the logo!!!! :eek: :D

gazanne
27-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm Going Bonkers Childcare, still not sure if it refers to me or the children. Makes me laugh everytime when I answer the phone to someone saying "Are you going bonkers" :laughing: :laughing:

stardust
27-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I chose a business name as there are 15 other childminders in my area and I wanted to stand out.
Not blowing my own trumpet but it has brought me so much business. My other CM friend registered at the same time as me and has only had 2 children since then and no phone calls, I have had over 20 different children, 15 now and I feel more professional having a name.
It's all down to personal choice, but I feel if you have a nice bright logo it attracts people to you.

Have attatched my logo (found it on google) its bright and pretty.
I feel repuatation and how you 'sell' yourself is part of it.
People get an 'image' of you through how you communicate, how you have things organised, how professional your website and business cards/ leaflets are.
You may not realise you do it but probibly have a good pitch when you meet parents.
People usually make up there minds about you within the first 5 mins then very rarely does it change this is why you have to make the first impression a mind blowing one.

Im still pre reg waiting on my certificate!! However i have seen 8 people, I am now full for when i start and have turned 3 people away as i have no vacancies (but have a waiting list in case any of the ones i have let me down) and i havent started yet but im uber organised and a planner. I also have millions of references (got about it bit nanny, nursery nurse, mothers helper and babysitter wise) and put hours of hard work into my website plus i have a goody pack for the parents with information i ordered free like information booklets and a small pack of pencils and colouring in pages for the children. It makes me look good, people think well if shes put this much effort into the first meeting she'll be good ;) and the children want to come back because they got a prezzie so they instantly like you. Its all about the first impression x

Carol M
28-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, I've had a think about this and I think I will be using my name followed by 'childminding service' because every name I think of just reminds me of a nursery... been there (worked at nursery with compnay name) done that so will stick to my name. However, I will create a nice, bold logo for paperwork and website.
Thanks again. I bet there has been/will be lots of others wondering the same thing.

This is what I did

teacherinwales
28-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you for the attachements they are lovely logos. Tara I'm with you when it comes to first impression. I know it's personal choice but I don't think a company name would sway my decision of leaving my child with a childminder (well unless it was a whacky name, like 'Fear', LOL). I'm with you - face-to-face instant impressions count. Although I had not thought of adding things for children as part of an information pack. Excellent idea! :clapping:

stardust
28-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Thank you for the attachements they are lovely logos. Tara I'm with you when it comes to first impression. I know it's personal choice but I don't think a company name would sway my decision of leaving my child with a childminder (well unless it was a whacky name, like 'Fear', LOL). I'm with you - face-to-face instant impressions count. Although I had not thought of adding things for children as part of an information pack. Excellent idea! :clapping:

Thank you :D

Carpet Monkeys
29-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I've not got a name per se, but I do use carpetmonkeys childcare for my website address, everything else is in my name..