PDA

View Full Version : am i in trouble:(

maria
24-12-2007, 09:18 AM
hi everyone
ive had a letter from the data protection act saying that i have not registered with them and iam really worried that iam in big trouble for this because me being me didnt realise i was meant to iam really confused as i dont understand forms like that.at the begining of the letter it says if you are presently registered or qualify for exemption status then disregard this letter.can anyone please advice me on what i should be doing as iam going out of mind with worry.many thanks

merry christmas and a happy new year to you all

maria
xxxxx

loopylu
24-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi Maria,

I've only been minding since March this year - but I can't say that I've had a letter like this, or have registered with data protection...

Does the letter say its to do with childminding? I think others will be along to give their advice, but please don't worry - you haven't done anything wrong I'm sure.

Enjoy Christmas, and give them a ring in the new year to ask what its about.

And let me know if its something we are supposed to do!!

Blaze
24-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi Maria...firstly don't worry!..As a childminder, depending on what info you store, especially on a computer, you may need to notify.

There is a standard annual fee of £35 for notification........however as long as you don't store children's names with their addresses or birthdates on your computer then you don't need to notify (Presuming you follow the Standards of course!!LOL
Tasha

(I only PM'd my number as I type so slowly)LOL

loopylu
24-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Tasha,

Can you let me know too??! I don't know what this is for if we have to do anything?

Thanks

sarah707
24-12-2007, 10:42 AM
There was a scam about this some time ago - I'm sure I remember reading threads on the old forum... Angel might know where they are but she's out for the day.

There were letters being sent out asking for £££ from Childminders to comply with the data protecion act... and it was a CON. So long as you do not keep records on your computer and you follow the National Standards (re advice for storing records in a locked cupboard and who you make records available to), there is no need for you to do anything more.

If you do keep records of individual children's names and addresses on your computer, I suggest you remove them and use a personal code. Then you will comply with the data protection act.

Hope this helps!

Monkey1
30-12-2007, 06:03 PM
That advice sounds spot on..............i have been minding for years and never had such a letter!

jus
30-12-2007, 06:09 PM
:) I signed a data protection act form and also I had to fill a form in to be on the CIS website and send it to The Childrens Information Service in Rotherham. But this was given to me by the Childcare Officer from Early Years who came out to see me when I had been Registered & Inspected by Ofsted.:jump for joy: I would get intouch with Early Years and ask them. but don't woory about it.

nat1664
30-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh blimey...I didnt know any thing about this either....may have to check this 1 out in the new year :)

Nat

x

Tily Bud
30-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Ive been minding for 4 years now and have never had a letter or form like this.

I keep all my record in a folder with individual sections for each child ( I dont keep tham in a locked cupboard ) they are only made available for ofsted and the parents.

Ofsted were happy with this x

Cheryl x

Trouble
30-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Ive never heard of this either, i would be tempted not to send information out to any one. rascal:panic:

Rubybubbles
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Ive been minding for 4 years now and have never had a letter or form like this.

I keep all my record in a folder with individual sections for each child ( I dont keep tham in a locked cupboard ) they are only made available for ofsted and the parents.

Ofsted were happy with this x

Cheryl x

same here!

son77
09-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I received today my local copy of early years & childcare news.

It reads IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL CHILDCARE PROVIDERS

All childcare providers, including childminders should be aware that they are required to notify the Information Commisioners Office (ICO) if they are processing any personal information or data via computer.

By 'processing', any use of a computer is included, including typing up records on a word processor, developmental observation records and the usuage of CCTV in childcare settings.

To find out more go to www.ico.gov.uk

Hope this clears things up alittle.

Raggydolls
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
this has got me thinking.

i was going to buy the excel program from the lady thats selling them, and spotting this thread made me wonder if i buy this program, surely it has spaces for the childrens and families details etc, so therefore i will need to register with the data protection act. i hope someone can clear this for me

leanne
xx