PDA

View Full Version : Trial day - What do I do?

Lil Face
26-09-2011, 10:30 AM
ok so I have a Mum who came to see me a week ago for a consultation, she is trying to also see another childminder for a consultation and that childminder minds a child that the Mums daughter goes to school with.

I am already finding it difficult to ge people to go with me as I do not have my own children and only have 2 other children at the moment for a day each and unfortunately the money coming in is no way near enough to cover my rent and bills.

The mum has said about doing a trial day thursday and friday after school which I agreed to but then started to think after I got off the phone, the mum is to busy to get over to see me before then so would meet the child for fist time ever picking her up from school and mum said she would put money for payment in childs bag (which is £19.50 for thursday and friday 3pm-6.15pm this price includes 1h30ms free, food and is discount with introductory rate as I am trying to ge people through the door), I'm not sure I want the child age 7 carrying around money in her school bag - and thats if the mum even puts it in, plus if the mum cant even get here what would happen about completing a child record form, policies and procedures, permissions, contract - it is a trial day as mum hasnt even made up her mind yet or seen this other childminder so woud you even need some of these bits of paperwork

I don't know whether to call mum back and say for child to just come one (thursday 3pm-6.15pm) for a trial completely free.

Any advice would be great

blue bear
26-09-2011, 10:42 AM
You need paper work In place before caring for child, if mum can't get to you could you pop over to her house in the evening meet the child and fill out paper work.

Maybe I'm cynical but sounds like she is getting you to do a couple if days that other childminder can't do

caz3007
26-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I have never done trials until the child is signed up with me. Especially free ones and wouldnt not have paperwork in place prior to collecting a child.

I would reconsider this if I was you, whilst I realise you need the money, but make sure you arent being used.

babs
26-09-2011, 12:06 PM
as said if mum cant get to you i would ring and pop round to fill in all paper work even if its for 2 days you need paperwork in place in case of emergencys..

little chickee
26-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I would not go and collect a child from school that i had not met previuously.
You will be a stranger to her and it doesnt feel right to me.

Mum needs to understand that you need to meet with her and her child beforehand and get all contracts, contact information etc in place before you mind the child.

The Juggler
26-09-2011, 12:36 PM
i would not care for teh child until all the paperwork is in place. Call mum up and tell her you need to meet up one evening before Thursday and ensure everythign is signed.

You could maybe type your own temp contract. Ask her either to pay you when you do paperwork or when she collects the children but not to put the money in the school bag :panic:

rickysmiths
26-09-2011, 12:52 PM
No I would not care for a child until Contracts signed, Deposit paid and all permissions signed and Child Infor Form filled in by the parent.

I would be breaking the Terms of my Registration if I did and would not be covered by my insurer.

Also mum needs to write to school to twll them who I am and the days I would be collecting.

I wouldn't go and fetch the child unless I had met them and all the above was in place.

What parent puts so much cash in a childs bag? What happens if its not their when you collect the child? No wouldn't touch it I'm afraid.

miffy
26-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe I'm cynical but sounds like she is getting you to do a couple if days that other childminder can't do

That was my thought too.

I definitely wouldn't do anything until paperwork is completed and I'd expect payment in advance.

Miffy xx

Lil Face
27-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, I have contacted mum now and she is coming round this evening to sort out everything.

I had never heard of anyone doing a trial day before - I just assumed it was part of the settling in but I am thinking that mum will eventually go with this other childminder who is minding one of her daughters friends so maybe thats why she only wants a trial day rather than being tied in.