PDA

View Full Version : First inspection

Mrs M
12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi all, I was supposed to be having my inspection next Monday but the children I was due to be having (holiday cover for another childminder) are now not coming as a family member will be looking after them instead. I have no other mindees as yet so the inspector said she would only be able to give me a satisfactory. I've worked so hard and would like to at least show her how capable I am. I have been doing odd days looking after a young boy with arthritis and am considering asking his parents if I can have him for one day next week just to get this inspection over and done with! Do you think that's ok? I talked to the inspector and explained I'm having him at short notice on odd days so would let her know if I'm having him next week.
Also, when I open the door to her, is it ok for me to leave my son and the other little one in the play room or should I put one in the play pen and take the other to the door? Have read so many things about not leaving children unattended!
Thanks very much.
Emma x

avril
12-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I answered the door without the children but had made sure they were safe first, so a play pen would be fine BUT don't leave a child restricted in their during your inspection.
As I mentioned in another thread the inspector told me she is not there to watch you with your own children as my ds played up something chronic.
Relax and enjoy ignore the fact the inspector is there and get on with what you do.
Good luck

ma7ie
12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I answered the door without the children but I have no hall and only a vestibule so they were very close anyway. I can't see it being a problem having the other mindee come on that day. The inspector is only interested in how you care for the children, not what hours you work.

sarah707
12-05-2008, 03:24 PM
It is perfectly acceptable to tell them you are not working next week and put them off a bit ... :D

angeldelight
12-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I would call them and ask to change the day so you have the children

Or ask the parent if just this once you could have the children that day because its important for you

Good luck

Angel xx

Mrs M
17-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Well, my first inspection is booked for Wednesday! I am very nervous about the fact that I've not done anything to do with Birth to Three but I'm hoping that I'll have time in between now and Wednesday to study it and put some bits together. I'm always observing, making notes, taking photos etc in readiness for EYFS. I work on Saturday's and Monday's so I'll have to work hard on everything tomorrow. We have gates everywhere, locks on anything dangerous and anyone who has visited me (friends and prospective clients) have all commented on how great my setting is. I am thinking that play dough is a good activity for the children to be doing when the inspector arrives (a natural one that I can make) plus another idea that a childminder on this site talked about was putting cornflakes in a tray/water table outside with trucks and spoons etc. My son is loving this. He's eating lots of cornflakes but he's loving the sound of the cornflakes being crushed. Anymore ideas for me? Both boys are 18 months old.
Thanks to everyone who has given me support. :)

angeldelight
17-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I think you sound like you have everything under control to be honest

I am sure you will be fine but if you need any more help then just pm me and I will be happy to send you anything that I have

Have a look around the forum too there is heaps of information here that can help you

Good luck

Angel xx

Mrs M
17-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks Angel. You've made me feel lots better. x

Spangles
17-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Good luck for Wednesday! It all sounds good to me, bet you'll do great!

miffy
18-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Good luck on Wednesday Emma

I'm sure you'll be fine

Rainbow rice would be a good one for the little ones - you could talk about the colours too

miffy xx

Mrs M
18-05-2008, 11:01 AM
You're all so kind - thank you. Will let you know how I get on :)

angeldelight
18-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Good luck Emma

Angel xx