PDA

View Full Version : Not being able to go out much with mindees

helendee
23-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Does anyone else have to do much of their minding from home? I don't have any transport and live in a very nice part of Bristol which is very suburban and doesn't have many toddler groups or a children's centre. The only toddler group is open on thursdays and fridays only so I can't do that with the children in the early part of the week.

I have four under threes so there is no way I can manage on the bus alone with them. Luckily we have a lovely park just over the road and spend a lot of time there but when I read of other people taking their los out on lovely adventures to animal parks etc I feel really guilty.

sarah707
23-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Parents choose you to care for their children because you offer the experiences and activities they want their children to have :D

QualityCare
23-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I live on the edge (5 mins walk) of a town that has lots of toddler groups etc, have transport of my own but choose not to use them, preferring the park opposite and once a week, story time at the library and the occasional trip to the shops, l don't feel guilty, parents don't pay me to drag their children from one toddler group to another every day of the week, there are a lot of childminders in the area that attend at least one group every day, its so unsettling for the children. My children (minded) have all grown into well balanced children making the transition to school with ease they have not missed out by spending all day with me at home, no parent has ever expressed a wish for me to take their child to a group.

helendee
23-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks to you both for your replies.

I know that I provide a loving and caring home for my los and we do lots of creative and fun activities and all my parents seem very happy with my service so I must be doing something right.

I just feel under pressure to do as much as other CMs sometimes. xx:)

The Juggler
23-09-2011, 06:41 PM
i wouldn't worry hon :)

singingcactus
23-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't do the whole group every day thing either. Under 3's don't really need to be going to all these things every day. They are better off with a caring, responsive adult, who sings, talks and reads to them, gives them loads of eye contact and reacts to their needs. I think the massive increase in the number of these groups (which are 'usually' of poor quality) has had a huge impact on children communication abilities. Whilst they are in a crowded room, which invariably has terrible acoustics, they are not getting the eye contact and exposure to the spoken word, or any other type of communication beyond snatching and hitting, that the very young children NEED to lay the foundation for communication and literacy.
Under 3's do need some exposure with other children, but not in any way do they need it every day, at some poor quality toddler group.

Chimps Childminding
23-09-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't do toddler groups etc either. We had started attending the CM group at our children's centre, but it is 6 miles away and June doesn't drive so we can't all get there as it is only once a month and it is our busiest day when we each have 3 lo's.

We get together most days especially if one of us only has 1 child so they have someone to play with.

We are quite remote and have to go anywhere by car so don't tend to get out too often!! None of the parents or children seem to mind, we do plenty of activities and they get out in the garden as much as we can possibly let them!

kel1983
23-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I dont do toddler groups. Some days I have 3 under 3's and feel that I cn't properly supervise them at a group. They all head off in different directions.

We try and get the the park out the back of ours most days especially if its a dry day and try and get to Rhyme Time at the library once a week (If the little one's manage to stay awake).

Every wednesday we head to the local market to buy fruit for snack time.

I dont feel as if I need to be going to toddler groups every day. If this is what the parents wanted then perhaps they should have chose a nursery.

Dragonfly
23-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Kel1983. I bet the children enjoy their time with you.Children much prefer burning off energy outside and visiting a market, well there is so much for them to see and experience good on you. Never been a groupie myself:blush:

miffy
23-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I think you're worrying too much. It sounds as though the children are having a lovely time and the parents are happy with all that you're doing :)

Miffy xx

helendee
23-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks people, you are all FAB xx:clapping:

watgem
24-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm the same as you and i often feel really guilty because we always go the same places in town, but , the parents tell me the kids always want to come to my setting, I have been caring for one family for four years, and my longest running family have been with me for nearly seven years and their number 3 baby will soon be coming so try not to feel bad its the quality of care you give to the children thats important not the type or number of outings you take them onxxx