PDA

View Full Version : News from Morton Michel

sarah707
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Not what we want to hear really, is it? :(

Childminder numbers fall to new low in England while nursery numbers continue to rise

There are now fewer than 65,000 registered childminders in England, Government figures show.

Statistics published by Ofsted on 28 April show that by 31 March 2008 there were 64,648 childminders offering 298,600 places to children under the age of seven. This was 1,128 fewer than at 31 December 2007 and their absence has meant 3,700 fewer childcare places.

This means that there are now 5,277 fewer childminders and 19,100 fewer childcare places than a year ago. On 31 March 2007 there were 69,925 childminders offering 317,700 places.

Childminders have voiced concerns about over-regulation by Ofsted, which looks set to increase given the demands of the Early Years Foundation Stage on top of the long hours they work for a relatively low wage.

The National Childminding Association (NCMA) described the decline in numbers – down 8,000 or 11 per cent from a high of 72,700 childminders in June 2004 – as “ebbs and flows” and the exodus of childminders as “a slight decline”.

Andrew Fletcher, NCMA Director of Communications, said childminders could be leaving the profession for a number of reasons. “It may be that the planned introduction of Early Years Foundation Stage from September has had an impact on the number of childminders continuing to register.

“We also know that other factors, including increased regulation in areas such as food standards and vehicle registration as well as the Government’s proposals to increase registration fees significantly and relocate subsidy to local authorities may also be having an impact.”

The Ofsted figures also show that there are currently 14,275 day nurseries offering 622,500 childcare places. This is an increase of 137 settings and 7,900 places from December 2007, when there were 14,138 day nurseries with 614,400 places.

At the end of March 2007 there were 13,814 nurseries providing 598,700 childcare places – a year-on-year increase of 461 settings and 23,800 places. This more than covers the loss of the childminders and their 19,100 home-based childcare places.

The Department for Children, Skills and Families was approached to comment on the figures, but had not responded by the time of publication.

yummymummy
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Tragic waste and yet more loss of choice for parents considering childcare options. I had only noticed the seemingly daily opening of day nurseries and wraparound care centres in my area so vacancies for local childminders have been hard to fill, but in the last two weeks I have had a few phone calls from parents whose current childminder is changing career.
There will be hardly any childminders or pre schools left if something isn't done and quickly! :(

Pipsqueak
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I am not surprised by this at all. Yet another new nursery has opened near me - that makes 6 private nurseries (including Surestart), three wraparounds (at vastly reduced prices) in my minding area. Two large companies have also introduced their own nurseries as well recently.:mad: No wonder my area is dead as a dodo!

As for minders leaving re the EYFS - yes it will drive some minders out, some will be "weeded" out (the not so great minders) but the majority of us will cope and cope well.
Doing the support minding I have 8 on my cards at the moment - another 3 have already dropped out saying they didn't realise just how much was involved!