PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket trips... yay or nay?!

buzzy bee
23-09-2011, 10:27 AM
My reasoning is:

it's easier than
going to a smaller shop with tiny aisles that you can't get a double buggy down

it works out cheaper

kids love it and learn lo
ts at the supermarket

Obviously not all the time, but every now and then, is it acceptable?

~Grasshopper~
23-09-2011, 10:33 AM
i think it depends on you and your individual opinion and on the ages of your children to be honest.

i only ever pop into the local co-op for fresh bits ect and i tend to go to asda in the evenings. i have in the past had an online shop delivered early in the morning when im working as i had no food and no time to shop. the kids love putting it into the toy shopping trolley and wheeling it into the kitchen.

my new mum said her ex childminder used to take them to morrisons and seemed to think it was a day out for them :eek:.

so really its up to you

xx

AgentTink
23-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I will only to go to supermarket if I need a few quick things, as I don't think the kids get much from being stuck in the pram as I couldn't freely let 2 toddlers roam free whilst pushing the double buggy. I tend to only go the Tesco metro when I am walking past it after toddler group or if we have gone the park. I suppose with older children there may be some learning, but from my experience young children don't get much from it as they are strapped into pram.d

Helen79
23-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I pop in on the way home from toddler group or on the school run if we need things for the day or might take them if we need things for a cooking activity so that they can buy what we need and then cook with it when we're home.

I wouldn't do a big shop while I was working though.

QualityCare
23-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Not for full weekly shop no, but as the childrens parents are working they probably shop on line or go without the children so for a few odds and ends, yes, it is a great learning experience choosing fruit and veg, counting, seeing other fruits and veg, seeing raw fish, meat etc.

Pipsqueak
23-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Absolutely to quickie stock up's or specific ingredients (no to my full weekly shop) - its a learning exeperience.

However, I do try to teach the children the value of supporting local shops and small businesses - its a community thing.

BuggsieMoo
23-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I do pop to my local tesco's with mindees (I actually got parents to sign about this so they were aware) as we eat a lot of fresh veg for starters which the kids help get fresh on the day with me - they have also helped to chose strange fruits for a fruit tasting session and I agree it is a learning experience. I can say child X can you go and get me 3 bread rolls (obviously I am with them) and this is helping them with PSR&N. It is by no means a substitute for a day out and we do not go every day. I would never dream of doing my main shop with a mindee - I go once kids have gone home so if anything I can wander the aisle in peace.

rickysmiths
23-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I take them to the supermarket. They love it. We go to Waitrose where the older ones can weigh the friut and veg and then print the price label. I am registered so we have a bar code reader which they can use, they have little shopping lists, visual ones for the little ones and we have great fun doing a big shop.
Covers loads of this in EYFS and I think it is one area where I am special compared with a Nursery. I am providing life skills and experiences for the children the same way as their mum and dad would do. Mine have been taken to the dentist, the doctors, the hairdressers. Things they would never experience if they were in a Nursery 5 days a week.

Don't misunderstand, I don't do these things day in and day out by any means but at the end of the day I decided to work from home to be able to be there for my children and to be able to manage my home and family life as well, in a way I could not do by going out to work 40 hours a week.

Penny1959
23-09-2011, 12:43 PM
It all depends on the mindees in my care

At the moment I have 4 under 2's most days - so it is a no - even the local shop is difficult with a double buggy and one holding on each side

However when they are older I will take them to big supermarkets - and we will do whatever shopping we need to do - for example if I have been away at the weekend I might need quite a lot.

Having said that I would only do it occassionally as part of their learning experiences - the same as I would not take them to a toddler group every day -or even to the same park every day. Children need to experience a lot of different things and going shopping is in my opinion one of them.

Penny :)

mummyMia
23-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I do my big shops online. It is soooo much easier. If for whatever reason I really needed to do a one off big shop at a supermarket I would take mindees along but I wouldn't do it every week. It is a home environment so I think every now and then is fine:)

georgie456
23-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I take them to the supermarket. They love it. We go to Waitrose where the older ones can weigh the friut and veg and then print the price label. I am registered so we have a bar code reader which they can use, they have little shopping lists, visual ones for the little ones and we have great fun doing a big shop.
Covers loads of this in EYFS and I think it is one area where I am special compared with a Nursery. I am providing life skills and experiences for the children the same way as their mum and dad would do. Mine have been taken to the dentist, the doctors, the hairdressers. Things they would never experience if they were in a Nursery 5 days a week.

Don't misunderstand, I don't do these things day in and day out by any means but at the end of the day I decided to work from home to be able to be there for my children and to be able to manage my home and family life as well, in a way I could not do by going out to work 40 hours a week.

I completely agree.

I take mine shopping - obviously not every day, but as an example today we went to a big country park all morning for an autumn conker hunt, had a picnic at the park and then on the way home stopped at Asda and picked up a bit of shopping.
It was such a miniscule part of the days activities and the children enjoy helping me with my list. Whenever we get something on ther list they all shout "next!" and I challenge them to find the next item for me.

Twinkles
23-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't usually but....

This week so many things have gone pear shaped that we ended up having to do a big shop with the children or live on take -aways for the week !

They quite enjoyed it.
Like RS we had shopping lists. We played what sort of fruit/vegetable is that. Can you find a yellow/red/orange pepper etc etc.

I think if the children can be involved it can be a learning experience.

However, it's not something I would do on a regular basis but more because I'd rather be somewhere else!!

angeldelight
23-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Some ideas here for shopping with the children

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58395&highlight=SHOPPING+EYFS

Angel xx

wendywu
23-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I hate doing shopping anyway and do mine online. I hate food shopping anyway so doing it with children :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes in the holidays if its raining we do go to Tesco and buy a few toys or books and then go into the Cafe for doughnuts shhh dont tell anyone

miffy
23-09-2011, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't do the full weekly shop with the children - it would take far too long - but I can't see any harm in picking up a few bits and pieces, as already said, it can be turned into a learning experience for the children.

Miffy xx

Dragonfly
23-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Same as Rickysmith:thumbsup:

The Juggler
23-09-2011, 06:42 PM
yes for a quick supplies trip or ingredients for an activity or to buy a present for someone but not a weekly shop:panic:

Bear23
23-09-2011, 06:50 PM
yes for a quick supplies trip or ingredients for an activity or to buy a present for someone but not a weekly shop:panic:

same here, to be honest we go a few times a week, just for little things.... i see no problem at all, mine totally love trying to find things for me :thumbsup:

SYLVIA
23-09-2011, 08:57 PM
If I need bits and bobs then ys. If we are doing cooking we all go and find the ingredients together. I also take them to the farm shop for veg. Big shop usually delivered

Newbie1!
24-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Ooo this is a thread close to my heart!!

I had a mindee whose mum said under no circumstances was I to take him shopping as "she doesnt pay me to shop" :eek: :eek:

This opinion changed however when she left him one day with no nappies or formula....guess where I had to go..... :rolleyes:

My DO tells me that it is something which is encouraged a lot in minders to take the little ones shopping, get them to have their own list etc etc.

I take mine purposely now at least twice a week so I take different children, they sit in the trolley and I shout out what we need and let them try and see it on the shelf - if Im paying with cash then they are encouraged to help count the money to the cashier (age and busyness of the shop depending!!).

It is something I always discuss with potential new mindees parents and one of the responses I get the most is that they are using a minder as they want their little ones lives to be as close to home life as possible - therefore doing things like shopping, cleaning etc. I wouldnt take mindees clothes shopping but I think a bit of regulated food shopping could be well linked into the EYFS and turned into a bit of an outing to save the boredom and torture of it!!xx

singingcactus
24-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I used to go to the supermarket once a month or so with my minded kids. We had a fun time, we'd eat out, do some other stuff too and then choose the shopping etc etc. The only reason I don't now is because of online shopping. I detest shopping, only the kids with me used to make it bearable. So being able to get it online is wonderful.

It's a bit of a shame for the kids, cos it could be quite fun for them, especially with the ride on toys etc. It also gave them a bit of an insight into what makes a healthy balanced shop, and gave them an opportunity to use their manners in the real world etc. They do miss out a bit on the interaction with the real world now, all real life stuff these days has been replaced with soft play and toddler groups for our children. I do feel a shopping trip once a month is a good thing for our kids - but like I say, I detest shopping so don't do it at all now, I only ever buy online really. Can't remember the last time I went into a shop.

buzzy bee
24-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I'm glad to see there are lots of other minders who feel the same way as me (that it is a good all round learning experience for them!)

I think I'd still feel guilty if I bumped into one of the parents (even though I also tell them I take the kids shopping every now and then!)

lolli_pop243
24-09-2011, 01:45 PM
When my daughter went to her childminder on Saturdays, I gave my permissiion for her to go to the shops. I didn't(and still don't) think it fair to expect that their own life should stop, and the way I see it is, I take my daughter shopping, so why can't she?? She worked Saturdays just for me, so I could go to work.

I have always taken my kids to the shops, and set the boundaires from the word go, so they know what I expect from them in terms of behaviour. And they help with getting the food we need. All round a good experience for the kids I think. :)