PDA

View Full Version : Challenging Racial Comments

Bernie
23-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi,

Advise please.

I have a six year old come before school every morning. On the way to school he has started firing his gun (hands shaped like a gun out of the window). I asked him what he was doing and he said he was playing 'Killer Armys' are was shooting 'the Germans!'.

We discussed if this was a kind game to play and that I felt it was not. I also challanged the 'German' comment and he said 'Its what me and Daddy play at home' (the family is VERY into millitary themes).

I disscussed it with Daddy at drop off time and he laughed and said he is only playing and it is was the do at home with the millitary figures they make and paint.

I have two issues

1 - How do I tackle the 'Gun' issue?
2 - How do I tackle veiws of him shooting 'The Germans'

I have mixed feelings on gun play at my setting. We do not have any toy guns or knives but I also think it is a good teaching resource to teach them about harming others and gun danger. So if someone makes a gun out of a stick or lego for example I don't automatically confiscate.

But I will NOT tolerate rasist comments at all.

Any advise would be great.

Thank you x

Helen79
23-09-2011, 09:21 AM
You could try doing a 'round the world' topic and look at lots of different countries, including Germany. Focus on all the positive things about the country.

or you could try a military theme if he's really interested in it and look together at the world wars and why they happened. Emphasise that it wasn't 'the germans' but a handful of bad people that just happened to live in Germany.

Sorry just realised that he's only with you mornings. It that case I would just tell him that we don't play guns in the car and that you won't tolerate him shooting at germans and tell him why. Your car, your rules. If he doesn't like it and carries on then he doesn't come on the school run with you.

I allow gun play but only in certain situations, I wouldn't allow this kind of gun play. Mine are still young so it tends to be shooting at dragons and dinosaurs which I don't mind.

With Remembrance day coming up it's good time to talk about subjects like this with children.

rosebud
23-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I would encourage him to "shoot the baddies" as opposed to "shoot the germans". I agree with you about gun play and don't have toy guns in the house but boys (and some girls) don't seem to actually need a gun in their hands to enjoy this type of play.

Pipsqueak
23-09-2011, 09:50 AM
WW1/2 issues seem to be die-hard problems. 'The Germans' aren't the enemy anymore - if dad is painting replica soliders and warcraft materials he should be telling his child about the horrors of war on both sides.

I would be telling parents and child this is how it is in your home - your rules and you do not appreciate anyone being shot at

that said - gun play is a part of role play - we used to play cowboys and indians, cops and robbers... and we (myself, siblings and friends) are all 'normal' well adjusted persons.... (I think) and non of us hate indians....

Mouse
23-09-2011, 10:26 AM
I would ask him why he wants to shoot Germans, then ask him if he knows any one who is German? There's a good chance he doesn't, so you could look together for some famous people from Germany - Michael Schumacher is someone he's probably heard of.
It will help him see that "the germans" are actually a group of individuals, not just a single entity to be shot at. Put a face to the name & he's less likely to want to shoot them! You can't blame him for his actions if that's what he's seeing at home, but you can help him have a better understanding.

moogster1a
23-09-2011, 12:10 PM
well, they started it!!!

Carol M
23-09-2011, 02:07 PM
well, they started it!!!
I presume that was said in jest, not entirely appropriate!
Carol xx

Pipsqueak
23-09-2011, 03:47 PM
well, they started it!!!

eh???
:huh:

moogster1a
23-09-2011, 04:22 PM
fawlty Towers quote. ( but best not to mention it!).

Pipsqueak
23-09-2011, 04:26 PM
fawlty Towers quote. ( but best not to mention it!).

oh.. right.....:blush: