PDA

View Full Version : very destructive toddler-any suggestions welcome!

watgem
22-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone i really need some advice on how to encourage a very lovely but destructive 18month old into being less destructive! His favourite thing at the moment seems to be ripping things, he is so strong he can rip a very thick board book to pieces within seconds. I have provided him with different materials to rip, but it doesn't interest him. He ripped himself out of his playpen at home, broke his sisters laptop and phone, the washing machine, school books, and countless toys and books at my setting, any advice welcome its very difficult because he is absolutely lovely otherwise:)

Ali56
22-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Probably not very constructive advice but I think I would treat him the same as a biting/hitting child and watch him like a hawk. Then you can catch him before he manages to cause to much damage and try to turn his attention elsewhere, gently discourage him. Hopefully then he'll either learn its not okay behaviour or grow out of it. I probably wouldn't provide anything else to rip instead as its a habit I'd want to break very quickly, not encourage-in any form. When he has stopped and understands what he can and can't rip, I may reconsider!
It must be very frustrating for you-I hope it stops soon!

Ripeberry
22-09-2011, 06:50 PM
He needs to break out of this habit. If he manages to destroy so much as such a young age, just imagine him at 3yrs old :eek: :eek: !

Maybe provide him with some cardboard boxes (big), so that he can flatten them, pull and push the sides until they are destroyed. Then he will know that's it's OK to do this to cardboard but not your toys and books.

The Juggler
22-09-2011, 07:50 PM
def. agree with Ripeberry. Let him indulge his needs in a safe way but at the same time teach him what he can do this to and what he can't. I'd liken it to letting children draw but teaching them to draw on paper and other materials not on the walls and furniture.

Trying to think of resources - the cardboard boxes suggested are good, also making towers of blocks and lego to knock down. Maybe it's the hitting action he enjoys - maybe give him a golf set to play with in the garden or a toy that needs hitting with a bat etc to make it spin round. I can't think of anything to satisfy the ripping action other than what you have done. It does sound very extreme for an 18 month old. Is mum worried? if so I would def. suggest a consultation with the health visitor.

He def. needs to learn where and when this type of play is appropriate though :) but there is a limit to how much you can explain to an 18 month old.

jane5
22-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Maybe some toys that attach with velcro so he can keep ripping them apart.

The Juggler
23-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe some toys that attach with velcro so he can keep ripping them apart.

ooh good idea :clapping: :clapping:

watgem
23-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you everyone, I'm going to try cardboard next week, have tried blocks but he just lobs them at the moment! I was thinking it may be some kind of schema as he used to love opening/closing but I can't find anything that quite links, think I do need to be firmer though:)

The Juggler
23-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you everyone, I'm going to try cardboard next week, have tried blocks but he just lobs them at the moment! I was thinking it may be some kind of schema as he used to love opening/closing but I can't find anything that quite links, think I do need to be firmer though:)

i think you are on the right lines hon. don't worry about fitting it to a pre-existing schema - he clearly has his own one :laughing: fix those boundaries for him and try to work out what it is he is gaining from it and as many learning opportunities as you can provide to satisfy it will be a big help.:thumbsup: