PDA

View Full Version : Should I say something or just leave it?

littleguy1
21-09-2011, 09:06 AM
When the parent of my mindee initially enquired by phonecall, they told me they needed care from 7.30 am. Fine I thought, it's early but so what. When they came for their visit, he said it will probably be 7.20-7.25. Ok I thought, that's fair enough just so his mum can settle him ect. But they ACTUALLY turn up at 7.10-7.15. Part of me thinks I should say something, they get charged from 7.30 and it means I don't even get to drink my coffee (not the most important thing in the world, but it helps lol!) and part of me thinks, it is only 10-15 mins. What would you do? I thought about writing a letter setting out changes to their invoice as they are of a different nationality so there is a slight language barrier.

xgemx
21-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Yes i would say something over a week them 15ish minutes each day mount up in to hours which your not being paid for and like you say its your time you like to get ready for work in your own time, I would give them a letter just explaining you have noticed they are getting to you 15 minutes earlier if they need this extra care you will amend their invoice to cover these times and see what they say so it will be a charge of an extra hour a week

boxtree7
21-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I understand where you are coming from ... I try and have breakfast at 6.30am then get organised for the day - I have children coming at 7.15am instead of 7.30 am now and I struggle to get myself organised. Ive agreed to 7.15am but wish it was 7.30 am it makes such a difference. I fell like Ive done a days work by 10.00am. I woudl probaly have to say i start at 7.30am.

Mamma4Ya
21-09-2011, 11:20 AM
The problem with letting 10 to 15 mins going without saying anything soon turns into hours, so I think you should give them a reminder of the contracted hours and explain they need to give you 24 hours notice if coming early and they will be charged accordingly. :)

pears
21-09-2011, 11:36 AM
if you are ok with the 7ish drop off then just say you have noticed they need earlier drop of than agreed and charge from 7 probably but if you dont want any earlier than 7.30 then say sorry but you are not able to have x till agreed time which was 7.30 but if pre arranged you could make an exception.
depends what you want really.:thumbsup:

i start at 8am and get upset if someone is even 5 mins early unless they have politely asked me first and make pointed remarks like oh i was just finishing getting ready is my clock wrong!

gegele
21-09-2011, 11:48 AM
10min in the morning is a huge difference.

i would tell them exactely that, mornings are the busiest time of the day where every minute count to get out of the door on time with all kids ready.

set the time you're happy for them to arrive : ie 7.20 at the earliest and say that the contract starts at 7.30, you're haappy for them to come at 7.20 but that is the earliest you are prepared to go unless they change the contracted hours to 7 and pay an extra 30min a day!!

my parents know not to mess with my mornings ah ah ah aha ha

Goatgirl
21-09-2011, 12:00 PM
HI :),
I would remind them that you agreed to 7.20 as a favour and that if they want to come earlier you will charge from 7 am.
For me anything before 7.30 is unsocial hours and charged at double fee. Be clear that this would mean 7am, not a minute before.

Or say you are happy to continue with 7.20 as agreed but you will have to put this in writing as part of the contract and you wont be able to accept little one until the stated time as you have since realised that your insurance isn't valid until contracted hours begin.

Hope this helps! definitely don't let it continue or they will just think its fine and probably bend even more rules. Its up to you to keep boundaries clear :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy

The Juggler
21-09-2011, 12:37 PM
i would definately say something hon. Sit with them and ask what time they actually need. Don't do 7.20 for nothing. If they need 7.20 charge from 7.15 (at a higher rate) and tell them you will do so.

If they need earlier either change the contract or, if you don't wish to start earlier, tell them sorry, you can't do it and if they arrive earlier they will have to wait outside.:thumbsup:

littleguy1
21-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Aw I'm glad you've all said this because I do feel like them 10 mins would make all the difference. The other morning , we overslept. I say overslept, we woke up at 7.10, if she didn't arrive 10 mins early, it would have been enough time for me to brush my teeth, shove my hair up and put some clothes on, but she was already here at the door! So I had to peg it downstairs bleary eyed and in my joggers and jumper to let her in. Yes I think I will write them a letter. I've already had to make allowances for this family to pay in arrears due to other problems with their hours etc.

miffy
22-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I would also mention it but I would try and talk to parent not put it in a letter. I think it's better to have this sort of conversation face to face then you can be sure she understands what you are saying and doesn't get the wrong end of the stick.

Only if talking to her failed and she carried on arriving early would I put it in writing.

Hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
22-09-2011, 02:28 PM
If I had a parent who did this and then turned up on time at pick up or even late, then I would start charging the extra (enhanced).
But if they regularly picked up earlier by 10-15mins then I would let it slide.

My mindee used to always come at 7.45am and if dad was dropping off it could be 8am.
But now mum drops off and is ALWAYS on the dot of 7.30 or even a couple of minutes earlier. Never picks up early and is late quite a few times but usually because of traffic, but never more than 15 mins or so.

But that 15 mins in the morning makes SUCH a difference. Pitch black this morning outside when I got up at 6am :(
p.s (I need at least half an hour to get myself ready/breakfast, then do my own kids, then do the mindees!)

Libby08
24-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I start getting myself ready from 7 and my first mindee arrives at 7.30 so I wouldn't be ready if they showed up at 7.10. Its an early start so id say something, maybe just say can we discuss timings again as I thought you wanted to start at 7.20 and make a point that that is already ten mins free time to settle him.