PDA

View Full Version : chicken pox, quick help needed

Helen79
20-09-2011, 01:21 PM
if a mindee has suspected chicken pox, does it have to be confirmed by a dr?
I'm happy to look after them as it'll only be mindee & ds tomorrow but should I ask mum to take to drs tonight to confirm it whether it is or not so I can let other parents know

Mrs M
20-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Our doctors don't confirm it. It'll become obvious in a short space of time. If you're prepared to continue to work then that's fine but you're within your rights to refuse to care for lo if you feel that other children in your care will miss out on toddler groups etc. You obviously need to be careful in case you come into contact with any pregnant ladies etc on school runs.

AliceK
20-09-2011, 01:34 PM
No there is no need for a Dr to confirm and I don't think the Dr's would be too pleased if a parent took a child with suspected chicken pox into the surgery anyway.

xxx

Helen79
20-09-2011, 02:33 PM
thanks. My 2 have never had chicken pox so I didn't know if you needed to see dr or not.
If they've only got a few spots then and it doesn't get worse then how do we know whether it's a really mild case or just random spots?

QualityCare
20-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Some children can be covered in spots others will only have one or two they become fluid filled and then crust over, child was contagious two days before first spot and will be contagious until last spot has crusted over.

miffy
20-09-2011, 04:56 PM
thanks. My 2 have never had chicken pox so I didn't know if you needed to see dr or not.
If they've only got a few spots then and it doesn't get worse then how do we know whether it's a really mild case or just random spots?

You don't - it varies from child to child. Your children may catch it from mindee or they may not - you'll know in a couple of weeks :D We once spent the whole summer holidays with chicken pox - ds1 on first day of hols, ds2 two weeks later and twin mindees 2 weeks after that!

Miffy xx

candlequeen
21-09-2011, 08:25 PM
The most infectious period is the couple of days before the spots appear, however it remains contagious for up to six or seven more days. I don't think there are many illnesses that look like chicken pox, so if it's suspected, I don't think a doctor would know much more.
If other children who attend your setting are in high risk groups or have family members in high risk groups, you need to warn them to give them a chance to avoid it. I lost several weeks business this summer after looking after one child with chicken pox as my other parents had genuine reasons not to come into contact with it. You will be able to work out a date span of when your own child has been in contact with the virus, and when they might become infectious.