PDA

View Full Version : Child proofing! SCSWIS Style!

lgibbs2
20-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi

Does anyone know if the TV has to be strapped to the TV unit or mounted on the wall?

Any other recommendations of what needs to be done for my visit would be much appreciated. ( which drawers and cupboards need to have catches on??)

I have stair gates and plug socket covers already as have a 13month old son!

sarah707
20-09-2011, 04:50 PM
You need to go through your house like a baby or toddler would and consider where they can hurt themselves - then take steps to stop it happening.

Televisions need to be secure so they are not pulled over - a strap might not be necessary though!

High units will probably be best fixed to the wall in case of climbers... etc

Hth :D

Babycat
20-09-2011, 08:32 PM
My inspector wasnt bothered about my high unit being strapped to wall (but its removed now anyway -but Id do it for peace of mind). Id put clips on wall for blind cables. Got table corner guards, cushions on tops of doors for jamming fingers, rad snaps for open piping underneath radiators. Put clips on the cupboard with cleaning and alcohol inside. Ive used non slip mat for under kettle, knives, mirror in bathroom. Cleared all toiletires into cupboard but you are allowed soap and shampoo tooth paste. Clips on doors leading to boiler, electricity and toiletry storage. Two stair gates and fire blanket in kitchen on wall with screws. We discussed exit to doors no need for thumb locks but must have a key on all people over 16 when service in operation. The garden (if you are using one) go over all the exits, gates, pets or neighbours etc. Only thing I missed out was a extending pole if I wanted to hang a wash when mindees where here.

Things she did want to know was how you expect to keep children safe (as mentioned above Risk Assessments). Have I tested fire alarms and heard the two tones.

Cant think of anything else but if I do or you have any questions shout on me! lol I had one visit and then quick registration after as I had all prep work all done just in waiting!

lgibbs2
21-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Ah thanks!!

That is really helpful advice!

I will get started on all the adjustments, I dont have as much to do as i thought!

No doubt you will here from me again at some point

:)

Demonjill
27-09-2011, 09:46 PM
This time around I had less things on my list that I had done re safety in house. Inspector was more than happy as i was confident in RA and know the level of supervision for different ages/stages

eg
dont have stair gates in place yet as no idea what ages of mindees i would get at start - not really needed for older kids

NO socket covers, or door/drawer catches

All i did was put extra bolt on garden gate, put knife block on high shelf and say what i WOULD put in place for the different ages/stages

Inspector said more and more of the inspectors were trying to encourage minders to let children take their own calculated risks and they need to learn from mistakes and experiences in life.( obv not in dangerous situations)

Reason being if things are TOO safe in the house kids get used to that and have less respect for everywhere else.

eg if you have something in place on doors to stop fingers getting trapped kids may rely on this and then when in their own home or someplace else get their fingers trapped and be confused as to why??

Im not saying we should let kids fall down stairs or shut their fingers in all the doors to teach them though:eek:

As we have found in the past though there sometimes can be a big difference between inspectors

Good luck :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
28-09-2011, 08:58 AM
My inspector wasnt bothered about my high unit being strapped to wall (but its removed now anyway -but Id do it for peace of mind). Id put clips on wall for blind cables. Got table corner guards, cushions on tops of doors for jamming fingers, rad snaps for open piping underneath radiators. Put clips on the cupboard with cleaning and alcohol inside. Ive used non slip mat for under kettle, knives, mirror in bathroom. Cleared all toiletires into cupboard but you are allowed soap and shampoo tooth paste. Clips on doors leading to boiler, electricity and toiletry storage. Two stair gates and fire blanket in kitchen on wall with screws. We discussed exit to doors no need for thumb locks but must have a key on all people over 16 when service in operation. The garden (if you are using one) go over all the exits, gates, pets or neighbours etc. Only thing I missed out was a extending pole if I wanted to hang a wash when mindees where here.

Things she did want to know was how you expect to keep children safe (as mentioned above Risk Assessments). Have I tested fire alarms and heard the two tones.

Cant think of anything else but if I do or you have any questions shout on me! lol I had one visit and then quick registration after as I had all prep work all done just in waiting!

Just out of interest what are Rad Snaps? I am not aware of any pipe work under my radiators that any child could undo. And what are thumb locks? Also out of interest why do they require anyone over 16 in the house to have a door key? I can get out without the use of door keys.

Just curious.

Babycat
11-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I have open pipes under radiator a radsnap is a white plastic that covers them as they can get hot.

SCSWIS and fire safety Scotland are both requiring two different things when it comes to door safety! They both agree on 'one action' but are not in agreement on what this is. SCSWIS (care incorporate) ask anyone over 16 to have a key to open door in 'one action' incase of emergency. Fire Service on the other hand want thumb locks on doors, these are low and anyone inside can turn them in 'one action' to open the door. Of course Im the type to spot contradictions and had them consult on this. Some insurances are invalud when you mess with front/back doors and the obvious of a child just opening it and leaving or opening to a stranger. So after back and forth they agree'd on the adults having keys at all times and doors being locked.

Always got to be something lol