PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wrong?

SharonLR
20-09-2011, 10:22 AM
HI. It's my first time, so hope you guys can help me....Just about to start minding a 6 mth old 2 days a week. Have also recieved an enquiry from a lady with similar age, but more hours. Would it be wrong of me to let down the first family? Can't have them both :-( and nothing else about.
Thanx for your help xx

Mouse
20-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Hello Sharon & welcome to the forum.

Personally I would not get rid of one mindee because something better came along. I have been minding for 15 years and have never given notice, or let someone down because of someone else wanting more hours. I have always found that if I hold out, the right enquiry comes along to fit round existing mindees. But, this is your business, so you need to decide what to do. If you do let the first family down you run the risk of getting a bad name for yourself. Are there other minders you could point the first family in the direction of, to soften the blow a bit?

Do you not have the space to take both children on, or is it because they're both under 1? If it's becasue of age, have you considered applying to Ofsted for a variation to have 2 under 1s?

Penny1959
20-09-2011, 11:01 AM
If you have agreed to have the first child - ie paperwork done - I personally would not let them down as it is not professional.

However if you have not got that far you could say now unable to care for first child - but remember things have a habit of getting around and the first mum may get to know you are taking on a different child.

However remember it is professional to have a settling in period and if the baby did not settle or there was some other genuine reason for not entering a permanment contact then you would have a space available at a later date.

Penny :)

The Juggler
20-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree with the others. Is there any way you could mind them on different days so as not to go over numbers??

SharonLR
20-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
I am only registered to have 1 under 1 yr. Also not sure if I could cope mentally or physically with 2 little ones:(
The other thing that concerns me is the first family (single mum) is at college and I'm being paid through Care2Learn. When she first came to see me she wanted 4 days, then last week she said she only needed 2 days as baby at nursery which is paid seperately, but that it was fine for me to still claim for the 4 days. Told her I wouldn't be able to do that as it's not above board.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to keep my financial commitments on such a low wage. Hubby made redundant last year and is working for himself, so hardly any money coming in there:(
Don't know what to do for the best.

Tippy Toes
20-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
I am only registered to have 1 under 1 yr. Also not sure if I could cope mentally or physically with 2 little ones:(
The other thing that concerns me is the first family (single mum) is at college and I'm being paid through Care2Learn. When she first came to see me she wanted 4 days, then last week she said she only needed 2 days as baby at nursery which is paid seperately, but that it was fine for me to still claim for the 4 days. Told her I wouldn't be able to do that as it's not above board.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to keep my financial commitments on such a low wage. Hubby made redundant last year and is working for himself, so hardly any money coming in there:(
Don't know what to do for the best.

I think sometimes you need to do what is best for you and your family, you dont want to let the first lady down but at the end of the day you need to be earning an income that will support you and your family.

caz3007
20-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I think sometimes you need to do what is best for you and your family, you dont want to let the first lady down but at the end of the day you need to be earning an income that will support you and your family.

I agree. Mum number 1 has already moved the goalposts, so to be honest, I wouldnt feel guilty about bumping her for the other LO. As you say, you need the money and it wasnt how you had first of all been led to believe

newkid
20-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I would get a variation so I could have 2 under 1's. Then all parties are happy. This is what I have done. It is hard work but they are great company for each other.
:clapping:

jelly15
20-09-2011, 06:20 PM
In this case, as mum has already halved her hour before starting, I would go with the second. If the child had already started I wouldn't give notice.