PDA

View Full Version : What to charge

yvonne
11-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone, im just wondering if you can help, when i told some of my friends that im going to set up on my own in looking after children, they said great you've got mine, i said i would only charge £80 a wk, but then today i found out that there are 3 childminders in my area, but they charge between £120 aweek or £150 aweek, i told my friend this and she did say that she will pay me £100 aweek and she does understand if i dont go ahead with what i already said, i just wanted to give parents a chance to get back to work without paying too much for a childminder, as i do know what it feel likes. Not to say we dont deserve it. Just want to give people a chance to forfill there dreams. X

crazybones
11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
When you start minding you will need the support and company of other childminders in your area. If you undercut them by too much they may not be happy and therefore unwilling to support and help you. Parents get help with childcare costs if they are on a low wage so I would charge the same as other minders.

miffy
11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Yvonne and welcome to the forum

It is always a tricky one working for friends - you often get taken advantage of because of the friendship

It's one thing helping people to fulfill their dreams but you may come to resent being paid below the going rate for the job. You are entitled to earn a decent wage too for what is very hard work.

I hope you manage to sort out a fair deal with your friends

Good luck

miffy xx

Banana
11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Hi Yvonne!

Just one thing to say on this hunnie! You are not a charity and there is no reason to undercut not only other minders but yourself!

I would charge the normal rate that other minders are charging and if your friends dont like it the they can seek alternative care. My advice - steer clear of working for friends (any friends). Im telling you this from experience, I had a horrible time with one friend, we really fell out and I just would not work for a friend again.

xx

Spangles
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
OMG! Definitely charge at the normal going rate for your area.

You won't believe how much work you will be doing as a childminder! Before you even have a child there's tons of policies and procedures you need to have, you have to plan activities for the children you care for and understand what they gain from these activities, how you can help them improve skills and knowledge etc, you need risk assessments, accounts, daily diaries if you want to do them, not to mention toys and supplies you have to buy. Extra car insurance, house insurance, NCMA membership, Ofsted fees, bla, bla, bla!

I could go on but I've got to watch Lost in a min! Ha ha!

You're not only working the physical hours you are with the children you do way more hours in planning and paperwork that you don't get paid for.

I hope I've persuaded you to charge full rate as you will totally deserve it.

I can see where you are coming from and it's really lovely but you've got your dreams and life too and you are just as important as them.

xx

yvonne
12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Thankyou all for your support and understanding, i do know where you are coming form. I do understand the amount of work to be done as i do it the now as im still a manager of a oosc, and there is some paper work, like you said planning, banking, risk assesment, inland revenue, and so on. I looked after my own children as i was a single parent, and i did'nt look for work till they were old enough, as i wanted to look after them myself and yes it is hard work, doing house work ect and giving all your love and attention to the children. As for looking after freinds children well i do that the now too, and i keep work and friendship sepperate, and i do find it easy to do, so when it comes to when i set up as a childminder she will have the same contract as everyone else, at the end of the day it is a business im running, and she does know that, so what ever i do decide to charge she will be happy too pay. Im so glad i found this site as i know, it is going to help me so much in childminding, i wish you all well and thankyou again . Regards Yvonne