PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about the history of childminding??

mindermummy
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Need to write up on how and why???

Anyone know any links or where it tells you????

sarah707
11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know anything directly related to childminding except what I've picked up as I've been learning about why pioneers like Montessori got started...

There was little childcare, either organised or not, in the early 1900s. Many children went to 'minders' who just had a house full of children every day - no regulation, no training, nothing.

Then the early nurseries started - babies in nappies sat on benches being 'taught', but many parents still preferred baby minders because they were so cheap - some things don't change then! :rolleyes:

Different Govt acts came in which were to protect the child but childcare was still largely unregulated. Even with the advent of free nursery education, parents still needed wrap around care and the forward thinking ones wanted an adult to watch them rather than leave them in the house on their own.

NCMA was started in 1977 and they were at the forefront of professionalising childminders and the profession as a whole. You might find something in their early records about why they started up and what was happening in childminding up until then.

Hope this helps :D

Straws
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I remember our tutor on the ICP course telling us a bit about the history of childminding she said nurserys and childminding came more common during the 2nd world war when women had to keep the country going while men went to war and childminders became registered just after the war I think she said 1946 sorry can't help anymore

Straws xx

jaja
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
The book "diploma in home based childcare" has the history, its about three pages long, if you could get a copy then its worth a read or if not pm me and i will email the text to you. xx

angeldelight
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.*************/MainWebSite/ContentPaged01d57c8.aspx?Map=49C04834433BEF0CA6015 3732CF0B3BE