PDA

View Full Version : House Layout Woes!

Minstrel
17-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I am continually changing the layout to my resources/storage/furniture and i haven't quite yet found anything which works all the time, and have been CMing for 2.5 yrs now!

I have a small dining room, galley kitchen and reasonably sized sitting room. They all lead off each other and although there are doorways in between, it is very much like an open plan feel.

I've tried to make the dining room a playroom, but this means the table has to be against a wall. I need all the place settings at the table and so for each meal, the playroom has to be completely tidy and table pulled out into the middle of the room. I also have more toys and storage in the sitting room and a small chidrens table in the kitchen for messy play. It just seems to have taken over and my little house looks so cluttered!

And tips anyone would like to give for CMing in a small house before my husband has a breakdown at the re-arrangments YET again! Cheers!

Wendybird
17-09-2011, 12:38 PM
We have a tiny house as well - it is tricky! I have low shelves in my living room and 'playroom' (which is a wide hall leading to the downstairs loo)dedicated to toys and the higher shelves the adult stuff (in our house books and records). The low shelves are great as everything has a place and it is all visible and accessible to the kids. I rotate toys when things get dull. I also have an ikea fold down table on the wall in the playroom which can be folded down to create more playspace on the floor. I am really particular about toys though and have amassed a nice collection of wooden toys which are nice enough to have out on open shelves in the living space. I also use those small baskets for smaller toys like duplo / animals / music instruments which keeps it all together and still looks nice. :clapping:

miffy
17-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I've tried to make the dining room a playroom, but this means the table has to be against a wall. I need all the place settings at the table and so for each meal, the playroom has to be completely tidy and table pulled out into the middle of the room.

Could you seat the older children at the dining table without having to pull it away from the wall and use the messy play table for the younger ones to have their food at?

Miffy xx

Minstrel
17-09-2011, 01:32 PM
I only have big ones at dinner time Miffy, otherwise that would be a good idea. I have 4 after schoolers (inc my 2DSs) plus DD who sits in a booster seat with them at the big table.

I know it sounds drastic but i'm really considering having my doors turned so that they open against the walls because at the moment they open into the middle of the room and this really limits options!

Wendybird- I'm the same as you when it comes to toys. I have started replacing all my resources with good quality wooden things which def look a lot more appealing to the eye!

teacake2
17-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Because I have the same problem regarding a table I have a drop leafed one, it is nice and small when the leaf is down and is big enough to seat four round it even with only one leaf up.
Teacake2

watgem
17-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I have the same problem myself so can't offer any advice but am interested to read the suggestions:)

miss mopple
17-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Your house sounds a bit like mine. I have a reasonable sized lounge so turned that into a lounge diner and so I could use the dining room as a play room. Would that be do able for you maybe?

Doofuz
17-09-2011, 04:44 PM
I also have a small (cosy!) house, unfortunately I don't even have space for a dining room or even table - having to use Wilkinsons plastic table for eating, art and messy play. Luckily versatile enough to move around when not needed. I have used my spare room (2 bedroom house and no children of my own) as a play room with Ikea units and small bookcases to store toys and books. I use the living room for eating like I said and I am looking to get a more sturdy Ikea LACK table for playroom to limit carrying so much up and down the stairs. I have a huge little tikes kitchen which, when replaced with Ikea kitchen will create more space. I have put all toys that aren't appropriate for the ages of the children I have into the loft and there they will stay until needed. I hang washing in the bath and on the bed to save floor space and our bedroom is a no go area for children. I actually think people have looked around and not registered their children with me because my house is so small, and I am really, really paranoid about what they think of my dogs what with the lack of space. I use the garden in all weathers (cheap plastic gazebo) and anything plastic and non perishable can also be stored in the garden if not needed all the time. All this and my living room is hardly taken over with toys and plastic items, at the weekend it all goes away in repective cupboards and looks like my home again.

francinejayne
17-09-2011, 06:26 PM
do you have a hallway that you could store toys?

Minstrel
17-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Some good ideas but unfortunately none that will work!

There is no room in the sitting room for the table- mainly down to the shape, we have a big chimney breast which dictates where the sofas have to be and two doors one at each end!

And sadly no hallway! Small porch sort of hall but then it's straight into the sitting room one way or dining room the other. I have a rubbish house!

Mamma4Ya
17-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I am in the same position with my home, I have just finished changing things around to make the most of the space for when I start CM'ing :)

Wendybird
17-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Could you post pics so we can visualise? I'm generally pretty good with organising small spaces! :p

janminder
17-09-2011, 10:10 PM
I too have a foldaway table which has the four chairs that fold up and go inside plus I have bought 2 extra fold up chairs as I sometimes have 6 round the table. I have to get it into middle of room for the 6 and this is in the sitting room no separate dining room or eating place in kitchen. It does mean they have to pack toys away to get it out but they normally start going after evening meal so not too much of a problem. Luckily most of the time I can have it closed against wall and just put one flap up where it is able to fit 4 round.

I have got used to it over the years and there is nothing I can do to change it, small house too.

littlecheeks
18-09-2011, 04:21 PM
is your living room big enough for the dining table to go in there?