PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - EXPO MEET UP - PLASE READ

Penny1959
16-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Just had text from Carol who is at Expo as I type - she is very disappointed with the show - says one at NEC was bigger and better :(

Carol and I still want the meet up to go ahead for the social side of meeting forum friends but wanted to warn you as we know how precious time is.

We hope you will all still come but if you decide to cancel please could you let us know.

I suppose on the positive side we will be able to have a long lunch break and chat our way through the afternoon.

Penny :)

nipper
16-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh no, I'm supposed to be going tomorrow. But never having been to one specifically for childminders/foundation stage (only the education show at the NEC) I'm not really sure what to expect. I've booked to attend one of the seminars as well, so I hope that doesn't disappoint.
Thanks for the heads up!
Emma

Penny1959
16-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh no, I'm supposed to be going tomorrow. But never having been to one specifically for childminders/foundation stage (only the education show at the NEC) I'm not really sure what to expect. I've booked to attend one of the seminars as well, so I hope that doesn't disappoint.
Thanks for the heads up!
Emma

Hello Nipper
We arte all meeting up at 12:30 for coffee / lunch. Would be great to meet you - especially as I see you are from 'next door LA area'

Donkey
16-09-2011, 03:25 PM
it cant be as bad as the tes one as there was hardly anything for early years this year...

my train is booked so Imma coming regardless!!

4 hours of reading for uni on the train lol

Nix
16-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry I can't make this one but I hope to catch up with everyone again sooooon :-)

Donkey
16-09-2011, 04:24 PM
will miss you nix!

Carol M
16-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm home now and as Penny said.....very disappointed.
Yes there are a number of resource stands and I have bought a few things but I have come home with money in my purse still!!
There were lots of stands that were more suited for nursery purposes and only 1 of the three seminars I attended did I feel reflected at some point on a childminders perspective. yes, the seminar subject was relevent i just felt the content was aimed at nursery type settings.
I hate being negative but i won't be going next year, and I'm sorry to the lady who organises it. I did talk to a stall holder and their arguement was that some of the other shows are too big and they don't get a look in so prefered the smaller events.
To cap it all I have just received an email from Expo saying "sorry to see you didn't attend today"
All that said, looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow, I suggest we meet at the bar/cafe area that is just to the left of the doors into the hall but there are other places to eat, the one I liked the look off for sit down meals was just inside the main entrance to the RICOH , first double doors to the left after the desk.:D
Carol xx

sarah707
16-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I am sorry it's disappointing :( Maybe we have been spoiled after going to the similar one in Manchester.

Money left in my purse is no bad thing I suppose :laughing:

However we will be there and we are looking forward to seeing everyone! :D

murphy61
16-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I will be there but don't think i'll be there for lunch meet as ive got to get my dd ready for dancing in the afternoon but will hopefully meet up with some of you still before the meal in the evening. see you all tomorrow.

Jo

Playmate
16-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Oh dear :( We have never been to NEC or Manchester so won't be able to compare. We did TES in london a couple of years ago which was good, but Nursery world in London was poor :( Never mind I'm still looking forward to a weekend away and meeting all my forum friends :clapping:

Donkey
16-09-2011, 06:52 PM
me too playmate!!

hope these cafe type places don't mind people with packed lunches

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

spending £15 on lunch could be spent on..........

RESOURCES!!!!!!!!

besides dont think they would sell hay or raw carrots...

donkey will be trot trot trotting onto the train in the morning!

Playmate
16-09-2011, 07:09 PM
me too playmate!!

RESOURCES!!!!!!!!

:clapping: :clapping: I will bring you a carrot donkey :D

Penny1959
16-09-2011, 07:30 PM
me too playmate!!

RESOURCES!!!!!!!!

Naughty Donkey - thinking of all those resources - but can understand why - Donkeys are very good at carrying bags and boxes - so it is only natural that you are thinking of all the things you might buy.

However I can save you from yourself - you can carry the things I buy instead :laughing:

Donkey
16-09-2011, 08:59 PM
LOL

I am bringing my big uni backpack....

just in case ;)

ruby
17-09-2011, 03:58 PM
So sorry Ladies but due to family problems yesterday we were not able to atend today luckly managed to cancel Hotel but we have lost the train fare but then family does come first just sorry we could not be with you all today
Hopefully we will meet up again

again so sorry

cathy and Rachel

sarah707
17-09-2011, 10:06 PM
So sorry Ladies but due to family problems yesterday we were not able to atend today luckly managed to cancel Hotel but we have lost the train fare but then family does come first just sorry we could not be with you all today

again so sorry

cathy and Rachel

So sorry not to see you both. I hope you are ok and the family problems settle down.

Take care xx

Penny1959
18-09-2011, 11:21 AM

again so sorry

cathy and Rachel

Sorry you could not make it - and hope that the family problems are sorted soon. Hopefully we meet up next time.

miffy
18-09-2011, 11:52 AM
So was it worth going then (for the resources I mean)?

Miffy xx

Playmate
18-09-2011, 01:44 PM
So was it worth going then (for the resources I mean)?

Miffy xx

I thought it was Miffy :D Got a few bits and have added a bit more to my wish list :panic: It wasn't as busy as other shows we have attended, but as I don't particualrly like crowds, that suited me. I found the sellers lovely and they had time to talk about their products. Probably not the variety you would get at NEC or TES, but to be honest with the TES exhibition alot was orientated towards schools anyway.

Had a fab meal in the evening and great to meat up with forum friends again. All in all great weekend :clapping:

sarah707
18-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I didn't buy much but it was great to chat to the stall holders and I made some useful contacts for the future.

It was fab to meet all our forum friends we had a lovely time! I have some photos I will try and get on later :D

Penny1959
18-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I managed to spend about £100 and got some of the things off my wish list - however as Playmate says - have added a lot more to wish list - including one item that costs £400 :eek:

I was disappointed in the size of the hall and the number of Stands - however being able to see the things being displayed and to be able to chat to the stall holders was a bonus and very useful.

BUT the main reason for me going was to meet up with forum friends - and to have a good time - this was achieved -Fab people - great discussions (both childminding based ones and non childminding based ones) Met some new people and chatted to those that have met before.

Good News - No hypo this time :clapping:

Bad news - didn'y get chance to chat to Murphy 61 or Maisiemog - sorry girls :blush:

murphy61
18-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I had a fantastic night last night and was great to meet you all just a shame didnt get to speak to you all.

Playmate
18-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I had a fantastic night last night and was great to meet you all just a shame didnt get to speak to you all.

It was good to meet you to Jo :D

Carol M
18-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I love meeting up with Forum Friends. it's becoming a bit of a habit :laughing:
I was really happy to meet up with a lady who lives just down the road from me and she used to run the Music with Mummy classes at her house that I took mindees to. She was working on the Bookstart stand!
Got a fab freebie from her :blush: :blush:
Unlike others, I think I talked to everyone, as well as Cherry who we met at EXPO, but then I am a gassbag, I'd give Angel a run for the title:laughing:
Breakfast with Playmate, Blue Boy and their daughter( she is a credit to them)
was lovely too, bet you can't guess what we talked about :D
Oh and my DH liked the jam/honey and marmalade :blush:
Here's to the next one at York :thumbsup:
Carol xx

Playmate
18-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I love meeting up with Forum Friends. it's becoming a bit of a habit :laughing:
I was really happy to meet up with a lady who lives just down the road from me and she used to run the Music with Mummy classes at her house that I took mindees to. She was working on the Bookstart stand!
Got a fab freebie from her :blush: :blush:
Unlike others, I think I talked to everyone, as well as Cherry who we met at EXPO, but then I am a gassbag, I'd give Angel a run for the title:laughing:
Breakfast with Playmate, Blue Boy and their daughter( she is a credit to them)was lovely too, bet you can't guess what we talked about :D
Oh and my DH liked the jam/honey and marmalade :blush:
Here's to the next one at York :thumbsup:
Carol xx

thank you Carol, we are very proud of her at the moment she is behaving impecably and a weekend like last and this one must be a bit boring for her, so she did very well!
As I type BlueBoy is planning our route to York looking at where we can meet you and Penny on the way :D

Penny1959
18-09-2011, 06:04 PM
So agree with Carol about Blueboy and Playmates daughter - she is a delightful well behaved young lady.

I was also very impressed with Ninagee's two children - again a credit to her.

We must not forget the lady from Shewsbury who nearly crashed into the back off me on the roundabout - due to me being in the wrong lane (twice:blush: ) and her also not knowing which lane to be in. Anyway as those of you who were there will know she tagged along with me and Carol - having spotted the tell tell cars seats and sticker on back window - and we have told her about the forum - so hopefully she will join. As a bonus she lives in West Midlands area and is a NCMA member - and interested in attending the NCMA West Midlands regional form.

Donkey
18-09-2011, 06:34 PM
was lovely seeing everyone again!!!

sorry I didn't get chance to say goodbye but didn't want to miss the train!!

in the end I was 40 minutes early for the coventry train but............

either the cov to brum train was slow/delayed/or just my luck but I made the connecting train to sheffield with seconds to spare!!!

it didn't help that there was 3 trains departing from birmingham at 16.30 so had to ask which one was mine and the train man was not nice :(

no offence meant to be caused to anyone living in birmingham but your train station is bloomin awful!!!! and I have been in a few train stations including london st pancras with tube connections, manc, leeds etc etc!!!

I got a few bargains.... 8 back issues of creative minds for £5!!! a subscription for the coming year for £20...

8packs of crafty stuff for £5 when I was meant to have 7 :blush:

some lovely trains with numbers on for the outside for £3
english and spanish paint pot colours...

I too was disappointed by the number of stalls...Think the MM staff would have stoned me or something....

all I had to say was my name is 'donkey' and 'climbing frame' and they all knew who I was :panic: :panic: definately infamous!!!

and Mr. Donkey has not thrown me out, result!

Playmate
18-09-2011, 06:41 PM
was lovely seeing everyone again!!!

sorry I didn't get chance to say goodbye but didn't want to miss the train!!

in the end I was 40 minutes early for the coventry train but............

either the cov to brum train was slow/delayed/or just my luck but I made the connecting train to sheffield with seconds to spare!!!

it didn't help that there was 3 trains departing from birmingham at 16.30 so had to ask which one was mine and the train man was not nice :(

no offence meant to be caused to anyone living in birmingham but your train station is bloomin awful!!!! and I have been in a few train stations including london st pancras with tube connections, manc, leeds etc etc!!!

I got a few bargains.... 8 back issues of creative minds for £5!!! a subscription for the coming year for £20...

8packs of crafty stuff for £5 when I was meant to have 7 :blush:

some lovely trains with numbers on for the outside for £3
english and spanish paint pot colours...

I too was disappointed by the number of stalls...Think the MM staff would have stoned me or something....

all I had to say was my name is 'donkey' and 'climbing frame' and they all knew who I was :panic: :panic: definately infamous!!!

and Mr. Donkey has not thrown me out, result!

:clapping: :clapping: Mind you that means I've got to start advertising for an assistant now:panic: I was relying on you Donks to be a bad girl so you could move in with us :laughing:

Donkey
18-09-2011, 06:43 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha

sooo funny!

maisiemog
19-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I was also a bit disappointed with the expo, although it has definately given me some ideas for resources I want in the future!

And it was lovely to meet some of you and put faces to the names! Sorry I had to rush off so early. Hoep you all enjoyed the rest of your evening!!

Will defo try and get to some more meet ups in future!

angeldelight
20-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Glad you all had a good time meeting up

Where are the pics ?

Angel xx

miffy
20-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Where are the pics ?

Angel xx

Would be good to see some photos :thumbsup:

Miffy xx