PDA

View Full Version : what do you do before school?

crazyhazy
15-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I have suddenly found myself with lots of schoolies most days, 3 or 4, 4.5y girls every morning eeek! They arrive usually between 7.15 and 7.30, we have breakfast at 8am, but before and after that (don't need to leave for school until 7.50am as I live next door lol) I am struggling with what we should be doing. I was under the illusion they'd be happy chilling out watching a bit of tv, read etc but they seem to be wanting to start pulling all the toys out etc as soon as they arrive so am wondering if I need to set some activities up for them, got me wondering what everyone else does in the mornings?

funemnx
15-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a big box Duplo out most mornings plus on the table paper, colouring books and so on - most of them like a bit of t.v. while I'm rushing around like a mad thing doing my hair, having brekkie :laughing:

Dragonfly
15-09-2011, 07:58 PM
sorry I just read that you have breakfast at 8am but leave for school at 7.50:rolleyes: !! guess that should mean 8.50am?:blush:

crazyhazy
15-09-2011, 08:03 PM
sorry I just read that you have breakfast at 8am but leave for school at 7.50:rolleyes: !! guess that should mean 8.50am?:blush:

Hahaha! Opps, that's what I get for typing fast and not checking, yep you're right I don;t rewind time, we usually leave about 850am lol

francinejayne
15-09-2011, 08:05 PM
My rule is no messy play before school. So no painting, glueing etc. Other than that I let the children play with whatever they want to, I find it easier to let the children play and amuse themselves as I am busy feeding and getting my own son ready and making sure prams, bags, shoes, coats etc are ready for when we need to leave the house for school.

I ask them to do a quick tidy up 5 minutes before we leave for school so that it is sort of straight for when I am home during the day with the little ones!

Dragonfly
15-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Mine seem to get just about everything out before school:( I get can we do this, can we do that.

boxtree7
15-09-2011, 08:19 PM
If the television is on the children will watch that, somedays we do nursery rhymes or free play. We dont do table play as the children arrive for breakfast up till 8.15am. Sometimes we have stacks of books out.

babs
15-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Ill be honest mine arrive at 7.30 by time I've put breakfast on table they have all eaten its getting on for round 8.15so then its toilet hands washed teeth brushed. while I check or change little ones then shoes coats buggy out the door for 8.30 8.40 latest.they maybe get 5 /10 minutes tv while others are getting ready. So I really don't have time for anything. before school

The Juggler
15-09-2011, 08:35 PM
maybe if you've got the toys set out for the littlies they'd play. My 9 1/2 year olds were playing in the home corner and with my pirate set yesterday :laughing:

get the dressing up box out maybe???

Hellymw
15-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi
I have just started this week, and have put a number of things on the coffee table and told them these are the things to play with. Thou on the first day, they were in the house for 15 mins, and yesterday 6mins before we had to leave. They hardly had time to take their coats off.

So far, I have put out a collection Where's Wally books. They all seem to love these and I find them huddled around one book trying to spot him, also have colouring and paper out.

Got them all to make Name tags on the first day, which I laminated for their pegs in the bathroom too.

blue bear
15-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I am lucky I have the conservatory set up as a playroom so the children can come in and get stuck into what ever they fancy. I usually put out beads, stickers, craft things not suitable for little ones in pots. The children tidy up before we leave it ready for the little ones who arrive after school run.

amanda1309
15-09-2011, 09:32 PM
My rule is no messy play before school. So no painting, glueing etc. Other than that I let the children play with whatever they want to, I find it easier to let the children play and amuse themselves as I am busy feeding and getting my own son ready and making sure prams, bags, shoes, coats etc are ready for when we need to leave the house for school.

I ask them to do a quick tidy up 5 minutes before we leave for school so that it is sort of straight for when I am home during the day with the little ones!

This is exactly what I do. It seems to work for me.

lennie
19-09-2011, 12:51 AM
:) I dont have any mindees before school although that is going to change next week. I also have a prospective parent coming to see me on Tuesday so I am glad I found this thread and got some good ideas for the mornings thanks

mrs robbie williams
19-09-2011, 05:45 AM
i only have 2 before schoolies at the mo, they arrive at 730 and have breakfast watching the tv - yes i know its bad but my ds is having his at the same time and it is his home :blush: then they usually go into the play room, they are very into playing 'schools' at the moment so thats just the easel, little chairs and table and some paper and pens. 3 days a week baby mindee arrives around 8am and they all seem to love playing with her so that keeps them busy until the school run :thumbsup:

mushpea
19-09-2011, 06:03 AM
I dont have any before schoolies at the moment but when I did they just came in and either played or chilled looking at books, I dont put tv on cause then it seemed harder to get them out the door without them moaning, whilst they played,, I put the dinner in the slow cooker, did my kids pack lunch and packed up lunch for the mindees who are with me during the day, I used to work hard trying to entertain the older ones but I dont try so hard anymore and it has worked out much better,, they seem happier playing with the toys and each other as they have been doing actiivtyes all day at school

miffy
19-09-2011, 06:54 AM
maybe if you've got the toys set out for the littlies they'd play. My 9 1/2 year olds were playing in the home corner and with my pirate set yesterday :laughing:

get the dressing up box out maybe???

This is what I do - toys set out and then they help themselves. Older ones will sometimes ask for pictures to colour etc.

We have a quick tidy up before we leave for school too.

Miffy xx

Mamma4Ya
19-09-2011, 08:57 AM

I was just trying to work that one out too, thought it was my brain failing after having a bad night :laughing:

singingcactus
19-09-2011, 09:50 AM
The kids come here and play, with toys, with each other, with whatever they choose.

Yours sound like they are happy to get out the toys and get on with some independent play - that is excellent and what that age group should be aiming for.

If the mess is what bothers you then set some ground rules for them. But if you start laying out activities that they are supposed to do, 1, they won't want to do them and they'll whinge and whine, 2, they will expect every thing to be laid on for them from then on and loose the ability to self choose.

Sounds like your kids are happy and enthusiastic, enjoy it :)

maisiemog
19-09-2011, 10:11 AM
by the time we have done breakfast and sorted out from that there is usually only about 20mins before we have to leave. I have one girl before school and she's now 11 so i tend to let her watch tv. She loves the music on demand choosing videos to watch on that. either that or she will go on the wii for a bit. I think if I had more before schoolies I would probably have something planned for them but at the moment dont see the point!