PDA

View Full Version : Illegal childminding

NicoleW
15-09-2011, 09:14 AM
How do I go about reporting someone who is childminding illegally? i.e not registered but looks after the child for more than 2 hours a day

Greengrass74
15-09-2011, 09:19 AM
You should contact Ofsted

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/contact-us/how-complain

AliceK
15-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Call Ofsted but I don't think they will do much, just advise the person to register :mad: . I bet this person isn't declaring this "income" either :angry:

xxxx

NicoleW
15-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Interesting didn't think about the income, should I report them to the income tax people as well?

newbie1512
15-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Id got to Ofsted and tax credits myself. How do you know for sure that this person is not registered or a relative of the children?

Could she be helping a friend out? I think this is allowed as long as no payment of any kind is being given

NicoleW
15-09-2011, 09:53 AM
It's ''reward'' which could mean anything from payment, to being able to work.

I used to childmind this child, and her mum terminated the contract with immediate effect because ''I'' lost her childs comforter, then she threatened to go to Ofsted and made malicious accusations if I forced her to pay 6 weeks which stated on the contract.

I know this lady isn't a childminder as it's the parents friend and I've known her from dropping her daughter off, they only met through Nursery so no relative.

And it's up to 2 hours with no reward, anything over 2 hours is considered childminding. I saw her this morning with this child and she drops her off at school after lunch, and she collects her as well.

Mamma4Ya
15-09-2011, 09:54 AM
If you are sure they are childminding for financial gain and the children are under 8 years old then notify ofsted. Not sure how easy it would be to prove they are receiving payment though unless they are advertising their service as a childminder.

The Juggler
15-09-2011, 10:03 AM
hon, I'd leave it. :panic: if she is a friend of the family she might just be helping out and not getting paid for it.

NicoleW
15-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Doesn't matter if they get paid or not.

"Ofsted rules state that friends cannot receive a 'rewards' for looking after a child for more than two hours outside their home. Ofsted claim that although the mums never exchanged any money, the fact both were able to enjoy free childcare for their daughters was judged to be a reward. "

http://www.madeformums.com/mums-and-dads/sharing-childcare-mums-unknowingly-break-the-law/1996.html

newbie1512
15-09-2011, 10:26 AM
In my opinion its murky water. If the person in question is not receiving any payment of any form money/gifts ect I think its ok. It becomes a problem if the parent is claiming tax credits to 'pay' the friend.

Its up to you what you do but if it was me I think I would leave it tbh unless you are 100% sure of that facts.

Im a believer in what goes around comes around so if she is doing it illegally then she will get what she deserves and I sincerley hope that no accidents happen, as she will have no insurance which will be the fault of both the friend and parent.

Coco
15-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I look after my niece one day a week without payment though. Am I doing wrong too?

kindredspirits
15-09-2011, 10:48 AM
i believe since that case the rules have been changed - reward has to mean physical goods, not reciprocal childcare. you'd have a hard job proving that any money was changing hands tbh.

Helen79
15-09-2011, 10:50 AM
If she isn't being paid then it's not illegal, she's just looking after her friend's child, even if it is for over 2 hours.

If you know that she's definitely being paid or the parents are claiming tax credits to pay her then I would give ofsted a call. If she's being paid and claiming tax credits and isn't registered then they may be using someone else's ofsted reg no to claim tax credits.

singingcactus
15-09-2011, 11:12 AM

"Ofsted rules state that friends cannot receive a 'rewards' for looking after a child for more than two hours outside their home. Ofsted claim that although the mums never exchanged any money, the fact both were able to enjoy free childcare for their daughters was judged to be a reward. "

http://www.madeformums.com/mums-and-dads/sharing-childcare-mums-unknowingly-break-the-law/1996.html

You've misunderstood this case, it was TWO sets of mums caring for each others children so they could BOTH work. What you are talking about is one friend looking after another friends child. The friend doing the looking after is not getting the reward of being able to go out to work, so if she is not being paid then there is no reward for her so she is well within her rights to look after her friends child.

Either way, I wouldn't let it make you so angry, try to move past the whole thing.

mumto3
15-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I would leave it too, I believe in karma too

It also annoys me that the state try and dictate who we as parents can and cannot look after our own children, Ive looked after my friends children over the last week as a favour coz thats what friends do, its been for over 2 hrs a day but no money exchanged at all, at the end of the day if i couldnt have them then she couldnt work, i would have thought this country should be encouraging people to get out and work because lets face it there are way to many layabouts who dont work for a living these days

Why are u so dead set about getting this lady in trouble, seems like u really have something against her

The Juggler
15-09-2011, 11:32 AM
You've misunderstood this case, it was TWO sets of mums caring for each others children so they could BOTH work. What you are talking about is one friend looking after another friends child. The friend doing the looking after is not getting the reward of being able to go out to work, so if she is not being paid then there is no reward for her so she is well within her rights to look after her friends child.

Either way, I wouldn't let it make you so angry, try to move past the whole thing.

i thought that too. I am sure that in the end the ofsted ruling on that case was that as long as the women WERE friends and no reward (other than the childcare itself) was given that it was ok with them. Also agree singingcactus, that in this case it's entirely different as it (could be?) a friend looking after a friends child for no reward - she's not getting anything back.

Think OP is understandably angry as the mum gave notice over something petty, refused to pay up the notice and threatened a malicious complaint. This woman is now helping out. But Nicole it is not this woman's fault that the mum treated you like this. If you think she is minding for money illegally I'd have a quiet word with her to remidn her she needs to register.:)

Mouse
15-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I think you'll find that's changed now. Friends can look after friends children as long as their is no financial reward. Look at the latest Ofsted information on it.

Mouse
15-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Nicole, you're looking at info from 2009.

This is a link to the current Ofsted fact sheet

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-childminding-between-friends

NicoleW
15-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you for the advice.

I think I was just looking at something to vent my frustration out on after how she treated me. Oh well, live and learn and move on and all that.

Mamma4Ya
15-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Since this the rules were overturned you can now look after them as long as you are not receiving a reward.

singingcactus
15-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you for the advice.

I think I was just looking at something to vent my frustration out on after how she treated me. Oh well, live and learn and move on and all that.

She really did treat you very shabbily though :angry: I understand why you feel angry. But sadly, even though we;d all like to get her back for you, there's not really anything to be done other than to fill her spot with the cutest kid ever :) which I have my fingers crossed you will. x

Ripeberry
15-09-2011, 06:03 PM
There is an unregistered carer at our school, but I've known her for years and she does not charge to look after the children, just gets the parents to provide food.
She is in her 50s and just likes to look after them. She never has more than two under 5's at a time.
I used to get really annoyed about it, but now I ask her as a favour to collect MY own two DDs from the school gate (50yds) from car park, when all my mindees are fast asleep.

Also, I get to keep tabs on who she is looking after :cool: ;)

Daisy1956
15-09-2011, 06:36 PM
I thought that parents couldn't claim tax credits unless they used a registered childminder.

catswhiskers
16-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I worked for over a year as an unregistered minder. There, I've said it.

Depends on the circumstances really.

I worked as a secretary for some top firms for 15 years and then had baby no. 1 (he's now 19 at the weekend and going off to university next week).

No 2 came along and I was doing cleaning/ironing jobs.

No 3 came along and while first two were at nursery/school I decided to take her along to my cleaning job.

Mum had a nanny who was leaving and asked if I was interested in the job as she knew me etc.

Did this for over a year looking after her twins (in my home) and then realised I would be a good childminder! and decided to register.

RCTLisa
17-09-2011, 04:20 AM
There is a couple across the road to me who are unregistered childminders. I only know this as a lot of the people from work use them.

They charge £90 a week for care. I've been trying to decide if I should report it, but if I did, everyone would know it was me :mad: