PDA

View Full Version : Any cm's with mindees same age as own children?

nipper
15-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I've just taken on an eight year old in the same class as my son, for before and after school care. I've explained to my son that 'mum is working', therefore it's my job to look after this other little boy, and they have to stay in the back garden to play. Our next door neighbour is also in the same class and when he heard the commotion going on in the back yard after school yesterday, decided he wanted to be a part of it. So when he knocked on the front door asking if my son and mindee could play, I had to explain to him as best I could that I had to look after this other little boy and be able to see him or at least hear him, therefore he was welcome to come into our back garden to play, but they couldn't under any circumstance go to his house.
I'm relieved my two (son and mindee) both understand this even after one day.
What I don't really want to happen is for next door to cash in on this and think "Hey free childcare!!!" otherwise I might have to charge them for my services. To be honest I'm quite happy for him to assume his usual position kneeling on his wheelie bin, peering over the fence into my garden...any way, he's the sort of kid who gets bored playing after about ten minutes when he's over at ours.
Has a similar thing happened to anyone else?
Thanks as always
Emma

Anyway, I guess if he did come over, I would have to add him to my risk assessment wouldn't I??

rosebud
15-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't have anyone in to play when I'm working. I'm not full that often but when I am the last thing I want is any extra kids even if they're over 8 and don't count in numbers. Its too difficult to explain that they can come some days when I'm not busy but not others when I am so I just have a simple rule. If I'm working then noone extra in to play. It might seem harsh but everyone knows where they stand.

Tink
15-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't let anyone else in to the house whilst I was working. Plus you are watching him like any other mindee but not charging him!

donnamarie2
15-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi, I have a boy from my 8 year old class and one from my 6 year olds and it works really well as they are good friends .
I don't invite any others for tea or to play though when i'm working as i have enough on.

nipper
15-09-2011, 10:07 AM
That's what I thought.Thanks everyone

singingcactus
15-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I have kids here the same age as my son. I keep my numbers under the max so that he can have friends round whenever he wants to. We have plenty to do in the yard and the house so his friends are more than happy to come in and play rather than roam the streets. I don't charge his friends parents for playdates.