PDA

View Full Version : charging for bank hols

disney
11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
i have been reading the thread on bank holiday charges and well just wanted to say that when i first started minding in sept i didnt no what to do about charging for them . then i decided that to make this work i woulod need a regular income each week that i would charge for bank holidays and would work them if needed for double pay .the parents all signed contracts agreed .

but one parent when it was time to pay said that i should not be charging for them. this made me feel very guilty so i said dont bother then ! then i felt bad about all the other parents so i told them not to pay me either:eek:

: now every time bank holidays fall i am not making the income i need . i mean i have one that only comes 1 hour a day £ 15 a week so when bank holidays come its only £ 12 oviously its more for the longer stays .

but i was thinking that as all the contracts are up for renewal if i could change it to payment required for bank hols ? x

Jinx
11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I don't charge for bank holidays and although I think there were some very valid arguements made on that thread for charging I think I am going to leave it as it is.
One of my parents did have her little girl in a nursery 3 afternoons a week and was fed up with paying for bank holidays. (I think she was thinking ahead to Easter, ie. Good Friday and Easter Monday!). One of the reasons she gave for coming to me was not having to pay for these days so I don't want to rock the boat there!
Another mindee comes full time and his mum gets help from tax credits but I know she still struggles. She is always so grateful when there is a bank holiday as it is more money in her pocket.
I know I am probably far too soft for my own good really. People like me shouldn't be allowed to run our own businesses!!!!:laughing:

Anyway, Disney. I think you should go with what you feel is right for you. Your business, you tell the parents what they pay for not the other way around!! :thumbsup:

Jinx x

Mollymop
11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I hate the way the parent said to you that "you shouldn't charge for these days"
It's up to you what you charge and no one else!

miffy
11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree - you should set the charges not the other way round.

Good luck

miffy xx

angeldelight
12-05-2008, 06:42 AM
I agree also

Good luck

Angel xx

avril
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Your parent probally gets paid for her bank holidays off work so why shouldn't you? I charge for bank holidays and if they want me to work charge double time, luckily I've never had to work them :D

wendywu
12-05-2008, 08:22 AM
The NCMA say that we should have paid holidays let alone paid bank holidays. So i think if you only charge for bank holidays and do not work them then they are getting a good deal.:)

Banana
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I think you should have stuck to your guns but I understand how you must have felt!

I am going to be bringing in a charge for bank holidays in January and if the parents dont like it then thats fine they can go elsewhere but if I take any new contracts on between now and then I will be charging bank holidays to them from now.

It really does leave me out of pocket - as said in the other thread bank holidays this month have/will cost me £120

x

charleyfarley
12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
As others have said it's your business and your rules, not the parents.

I do charge if it's there contracted day as parent still get paid.

Carol xx

yummymummy
12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I have always charged Bank Holidays and some parents just accept it with no problems but some, although have read it quite clearly in my fees policy and have signed on my contract to say they will pay still always ask "do I need to pay you for the Bank Holiday" It makes me fume as they KNOW they do but just want to make me feel awkward so that maybe I'll say no.
One child had recently changed days to include a Monday so to the mother in front of me when paying the father actually said out loud "you've given too much money we don't pay Bank Holidays" (It was actually the first one I had been contracted to have their child) I think mum was embarassed and just ushered him out of the door saying "well we get paid" leaving me fuming at dad at very pleased that mum understands!
It also seems hard on a family of 2 siblings who I only have Mon and Tue so they have to pay quite a lot of money for what in effect is only one days childcare. But they know this at the beginning and I really have to harden myself and remember it is my business and they have accepted my terms.

berkschick
12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Like I said on the other thread, I charge for all bank hols including xmas day, boxing day and new years day. I was full within a few weeks of being reg and none of my parents have had an issue with it.

I did let the twins Mum off good friday as they had only been with me a week so I felt harsh but it was written into the contract that it was a goodwill gesture.

disney
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
as well as bank hols do you all charge for all hols taken by parents as well xx

Spangles
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't charge for bank holidays as I don't want to be asked to work them and so I'm not available.

I see it that I'm self-employed and bank holidays are my problem not the parents. I don't charge for my holidays and just see bank holidays as extra holiday days.

I charge parents full for their holidays and sickness because I'm available for them for their contracted hours.

You have to do what's right for you at the end of the day. I can see everyone's point about charging bank hols but it doesn't feel right to me so I don't do it (at the moment, who knows what I'll decide in the future!).

JOANNE
14-05-2008, 09:27 AM
I DO charge for bank holidays,all of my parents are happy with it.
As for saying you shouldn`t be charging, its not their rules its yours, if they were happy to sign the contract then i would stick to my guns and charge them.

wendywu
14-05-2008, 03:20 PM
If we dont charge for bank holidays perhaps we should charge per hour for the time involved in undertaking all the training, doing all the extra paperwork, the hour every night clearing up the house and washing toys and cleaning floors etc. Hate to think what it would add up to.:)

Banana
14-05-2008, 03:38 PM
as well as bank hols do you all charge for all hols taken by parents as well xx

Any time off that is contracted is payable at full fee, unless its my holiday/sickness.

If I am open and they are contracted they have to pay

x

kiddiwinks
16-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I also charge for bank hols at normal day rate, unless they have booked 3 or more days of with it then it is charged at half daily rate which is what i charge for holidays.

I have had no problem with doing this.

ChocolateChip
17-05-2008, 10:31 PM
I find this a sticky issue as well, at the moment I don't charge, but I think as new people come along I may make a half rate charge. What with Easter being early and 2 of mine being term time only I lost out quite a bit, and there's still 2 to go!

:(

tulip0803
18-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I have always charged for Bank Holidays as I am able to work them - at double pay. It is the parents choice not to send the children. The only ones I do not charge for are Christmas day and Boxing Day as I do not want to work those. I have never had a problem all he parents paid for the contracted hours. I only ever had one child that came on Bank Holidays and his parents both worked shifts (nurse and restaurant).

We each have our own business and are able to run it as we want to. But learning to be firm in the face of some parents takes some getting used to and I think we are all brought up to be polite and not discuss money issues.:o

mrs lilly
21-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I charge in full for bank holidays. i also have 4 weeks paid holiday a year, parents are offered up to 4 weeks holidays at a 50% reduced fee. All my parents are fine with this and I am full with a waiting list. This is standard for my area though and i do think that will be a determining factor in deciding whether to charge.

Mrs.L.C
27-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I personaly dont charge for the bank holiday as I dont want to work them so I can spend more time with family. Therefore I am not available. If im not available then I dont see why parents should pay for a service that they can not use. If I was available to work I prob would charge reguardless and if parents needed me I would charge double rate.

I charge for parents/child time off/illness/sickness but I do not charge for my time off/holidays/sickness

MissTinkerbell
27-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I personaly dont charge for the bank holiday as I dont want to work them so I can spend more time with family. Therefore I am not available. If im not available then I dont see why parents should pay for a service that they can not use. If I was available to work I prob would charge reguardless and if parents needed me I would charge double rate.

I charge for parents/child time off/illness/sickness but I do not charge for my time off/holidays/sickness

I haven't started minding yet but have written into my fees and charges policy that this is what I intend to do. Quite lucky in that living next door to RAF camp that they never work bank holidays anyway so I very much doubt whether I would be needed those days.

tortoise
27-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I do charge for bank holidays but only at half rate. BUT I do charge full for parents holidays and nothing for mine.