PDA

View Full Version : Upstairs Bedroom Window - Potential Problem?

JaneinDownend
14-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I am about to send off the forms to register to become a CM, first aid course booked, doctors report returned, course done. I will be childminding solely on the ground floor of my home - downstairs playroom, shower room with toilet, sleeping area etc. There will be no need for children to go upstairs - although I will still have a stair gate on at the bottom of the stairs.

In one of the bedrooms the window is very large and swings open from the bottom - about 2 foot from the ground - slightly lower than the bottom of "normal" windows - if that makes sense. In terms of safety - the window can be opened and you could climb out of it onto an extension roof slightly easier than a window that is installed at "normal height".

In any event - children would not have access to, or be encouraged to go upstairs - do you think this would be a big problem when it comes to registering? If so - any ideas on what I could do? Thanks in advance for your help.

miffy
14-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Could you fit a window lock?

Miffy xx

Please help
14-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi
I just had my pre reg visit and I had the problem that my windows upstairs did not have locks on and no restrictors, I have had to buy resitrictors for the spare room (registered as sleeping room for children) and for my 2 childrens bedrooms (not registered) but I did not have to fit them on my bedroom window as the door is bolted from the outside to prevent the children coming inside. She was happy that the children couldnt get in at all.
I would recommend putting a small lock on the outside door im sure that would be fine.
I just thought I should say that when I had my inpection she inspected the whole house and told me it was up to me which rooms I used but she had to look at the house as a whole.
I hope this helps, good luck x

JaneinDownend
14-09-2011, 09:14 PM
yes, I'm sure the window does lock - if it doesn't I will get a lock put on it - kind of prefer that to a lock on the door - if that makes sense - suddenly the answer seems obvious!

aly
15-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I have no fire escape windows upstairs so only allowed to mind from downstairs....I will when I'm ready to change one of the windows, but not yet...she didnt tell me to change mine unless i want to register upstairs.

nikkiross1
16-09-2011, 08:54 AM
i have the EXACT same thing! but i want that room to be registered as i am using upstairs. ofsted said if it had a lock on it it would be fine BUT it doesnt. you can buy window restrictors to stop the window opening as far so children couldnt fit out, but i found this very difficult as i didnt have a clue which one to get and when i did buy one, becuase my window is quite old it didnt fit!! my dad is my lanlord and as this is my daughters bedroom as well and we didnt even REALISE the risk beofre ofsted pointed it out, he is actiually going to the extreme to buy me a whole new winode £400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think if u keep the door closed and convince ofsted there would be no reason for u or any kids to go upstairs during working hours then this will be ok - x