PDA

View Full Version : Themes?

snufflepuff
14-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Do any of your follow a theme each month/ term? I haven't in the past because the children I have been caring for have been quite young and I don't feel themes always work that well for the younger children, it can be a bit hit and miss I think. I now have 2 mindees that are 31 months old (plus a 6 months old and 11 month old who could also follow it loosely or just not at all depending on how well it works) so I have been thinking of introducing a monthly theme.

As a nursery nurse I found themes useful as a starting point for activity ideas- but it was easier then as we didn't really follow children's interests for activities as such (pre-EYFS)

Does anyone have any themes that they really enjoy?

(3 of the 4 mindees attend nursery and so does my son, so I could ask the nursery what themes they are following....ofsted would like that! The nursery, on the other hand, probably wouldn't!)

QualityCare
14-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't do themes (if you mean on going ones) as such but if we have the farmyard out l have other animal related activities out that same day, puzzles, pictures to colour, books and rhymes. Same with seasons/weather, the dolls house etc there are always other activities which can be related to them and websites always have a good supply of pictures to print or craft ideas.

FizzWizz
14-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I have young children too (26, 22 and 11 months) but I do a very general monthly theme as well as their personal planning - more to imspire me to vary the activities and outings that we do. Obviously what the children learn at this age is pretty limited but it ensures they are exposed to lots of things - Ofsted seemed happy with this!

Not sure about faviourite themes but ones that have worked with little ones have been 'about me', colours, animals etc

rosebud
14-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I just support the themes children are doing in other settings. So if they go to nursery in the morning and are learning about mini-beasts I will provide resources and some activities to support this.

sarah707
14-09-2011, 05:35 PM
We love our themes here and have an overarching one every month for those moments when boredom creeps in... to keep the older children busy and learning new things... because we enjoy them so much... to encourage the children to work together... to fill that gap between lunch and free play when everything goes a bit flat... because I find it easier if I know what resources etc to buy for the week...

We mix our themed planning with lots of free play and our normal daily routine and the children enjoy getting involved in the planning.

Hth :D

snufflepuff
14-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you everyone. I think i'm going to give it a go- i'll have a chat with the nursery and see how they would feel about me sharing some of their themes.

miffy
15-09-2011, 06:54 AM
I use themes too - you can incorporate children's interests into themes.

I don't always follow the same themes schools, playgroups, nurseries do unless the child wants to carry on with something they've been doing there.

Give it a go Snufflepuff - if it doesn't suit you then you can do something else.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
15-09-2011, 07:24 AM
I did when I had slightly older mindees but now they are usually under 3 it is a bit pointless and I follow and extend their interest in a theme. mindee 2 1/2 loves singing nursery rhymes so at the moment we are going with that - making a black sheep today :) , humpty dumpty another day - and singing the songs etc. whatever comes into my head :D

snufflepuff
15-09-2011, 08:10 AM
To be honest, thinking of activity ideas is something I find a bit tricky- sometimes I notice a child's interest in something and I can easily think of a few activities extending from that, other times my mind goes blank! So i'm hoping that having a theme might help me a bit...