PDA

View Full Version : Makaton?

Becci26
14-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi I'm currently pre reg at the mo but getting all sorted and have been thinking about ways to include equal opps etc.
I am thinking about trying to integrate the use of Makaton with all EY children as much as possible, especially for the younger children that are unable to talk yet. Just wondering if anyone else does this/ has done it and your thoughts.....

Greengrass74
14-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Great idea, we use Makaton every day with all our children, we have especially seen the benefits Makaton has given with our under 2's and their improved levels of communication.

Toothfairy
14-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Great idea, we use Makaton every day with all our children, we have especially seen the benefits Makaton has given with our under 2's and their improved levels of communication.

Ditto :thumbsup:

Maria Pia
14-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I have started to use signs with under 1s and it does really work! But a part from the bits I have learnt from Mr Tumble, I have not had any training. Where did you get the training from? I contacted the Makaton charity and they got me in touch with some trainers in my area, but the courses seem to be only during the week!

Maria :)

Penny1959
14-09-2011, 01:04 PM
I use Makaton with my mindees - mainly through watching the Makaton Nursery Rhyme DVD (Dave Benson Phillips) I am not trained in using Makaton- although years ago I did do a Sign a long course.

We have picked up lots of signs which the children use daily.

We also have some books showing signs and at the moment to support our background theme of colours we have a poster on the wall showing the signs for colours.

Penny :)

rosebud
14-09-2011, 01:36 PM
CBeebies website has some signs and symbols in the "Something Special" area. I printed these off and laminated them and put them on the wall, they are limited but they're a start and give the children something visual to refer to.

Becci26
14-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Thankyou I did a Makaton course when I was at college but that was 9/10 years ago, so forgotten most of it! Have got the signs from the cbeebies website and will laminate them I think. Meanwhile will look at booking on a course....

Carpet Monkeys
14-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I use Makaton Daily with my lo's. Recently cared for a Hungarian lo who was only 1 and didn't understand much english but knew Makaton, it was great!

Mamma4Ya
14-09-2011, 06:58 PM
As a Baby Sign Language Teacher I use British Sign Language and shall be incorporating it through sing and sign lanuage in my setting. Children pick sign language up really quickly.

With more and more babies/children attending sing and sign lanuage classes I think it is a good idea to use in your setting. I have heard of a few childminders getting thier mindees over other childminders because they are able to offer Makaton or BSL :clapping:

catswhiskers
14-09-2011, 09:39 PM
I used some Makaton with my mindees (mainly because parents of one child were speech and language therapists). I learnt a lot but then found that once the child starts beginning to talk they don't want to know! But they've probably taken it all in as babies I suppose.